The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
¿Has anybody ever drink before a show?
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
I'm guessing you mean alcohol, and the answer to that is no. I couldn't trust what might come out of my mouth if I did!

Coming from a background in comedy I know too many comics who have one drink to give them an edge, then after a while one is not enough, then two, then three, then before you know it they're hammered before they go on. I'm currently working with a performer who has had three pints before the start of the show, he is funny but he can't go on without it now.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Never have, never will.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Simply no, I would not drink at a normal job why would I drink at my career. In this business if you are a drunk word gets around fast. Most times I will not even eat at a show never mind drink!

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Every time!!!!! Not for nerves though.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Never before a show. When its over I quite often will have a drink just to relax for a while.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Yes...and during.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...learn from mr annemannn...
I've asked to be banned
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Interesting answers.

I personally don't do it, but I may give it a try... for the sake of curiosity.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, IAIN wrote:
...learn from mr annemannn...

Of course I don't mean getting drunk, that would be really wrong. Lol
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
In respect for a paying audience I would never drink any alcohol before a show.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I write this with the absolute understanding that tolerances and reactions to alcohol are unique to each person.
In addition, there is a cultural component, as drinking alcohol is perceived differently in different parts of the world/cultures (I'm not just referring to places where temperance is practiced)

In my case, it was suggested, early in my performing career as a stand-up comic, to have a drink to "loosen up" before my set.
It threw off all of my timing and instincts just enough to blunt my performance.
Since that time, I rarely imbibe before any speaking or performing, even when doing something casual.

Yet I know of many pros who have a beverage or two before (and often during) performances.
Suffice it to say, visibly drinking alcohol during a performance (or having alcohol on your breath) can certainly send a message to the room/client.

In some situations, it's perfectly okay, including when a 'toast' is called for during the proceedings.
In other (and most) cases, it can send a message that will be interpreted differently by different people - depending upon their own perceptions of alcohol consumption.

Needless to say, if you stumble or screw-up during your performance, the profile of your drinking will certainly become more of an issue.

As another comic example, I noticed Ricky Gervais drinking beer during one of his recent TV specials.
I suspect he did this consciously as it is something of a cultural/social statement.

Ultimately, I am so mindful of every aspect of my on-stage image that the container from which I drink water (or in the case of my longer keynote presentations - an energy drink) is selected with care so that it doesn't send the wrong message.

e
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Lot's of musicians drink all night long .. It works for some and inhibits others. There was a mentalist type guy that I saw on TV years ago...He was smashed .. Said he had to be that way to do the miracles he did. I always suspected he was sober as a judge and used the drunk image to get away with murder with so many slights that just looked like drunkenness .....
I believe he had a little tube and was able to see images through it.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
NEVER !!!! - Imagine what conclusions my client might jump to if they could smell alcohol on my breath.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
As Master Mentalist you already know my answer: AA😃
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
My experience in the higher corporate market is that nothing, absolutely nothing, could be worse.If you drink, you may as well kiss that client goodbye.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I'm curious why you might want to?
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I am still a ROOKIE when it comes to paid gigs, but even when casually performing I have a drink or two.

Prior to this I was a full time dj so I can speak quite authoritatively on that - and djing with a buzz I felt always put me on the same level with the crowd.

Now I'm not saying get wrecked - but with both magic and DJing, for me personally the benefit is the same - an ability to jazz.

I am much more creative, assertive, and LESS worried about screwing up when I have a buzz. And I find when I am less worried about the negative stuff, a sort of self fulfilling prophecy type of thing occurs - I DO nail the psy forces, I DO smoothly swap in my multiple out, I just DO more and THINK less.

Overthinking has ALWAYS been a problem with me. Alcohol turns that off. Instead of worrying I just ACT.

I say ALL OF THIS knowing the better alternative would be to NOT need that "liquid courage" (as it's so called) and still be as entertaining, creative, "jazzy" etc - but I just haven't gotten there yet.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I just booked a gig in Chicago that I am super excited about. It's my first time a client is paying my flight, hotel etc. it's a big moment for me...

But the only reason they booked me is because I was performing casually at a friends bday party earlier in the year - and I (like everyone else) was pretty hammered. They booked me KNOWING that and still being very impressed.

I don't plan to drink at the paid gig, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was worried about how much less confidant/assertive etc I come across when I'm sober.

(This is me overthinking again)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I used to run a few clubs when I was younger, djing, playing in bands, and booking them...

please don't compare or liken playing in a band or djing to performing mentalism...completely and utterly different...

you can perform whilst high (one way or another), but why not get used to performing mentalism sober if you can, eh? otherwise its a long slippery slope, or maybe a short sharp shock when it all goes wrong for you...

its almost expected in the music scene...and even then, it depends on the scene and where it is...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL