The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mat Franco wins AGT (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2014, benhart wrote:
As far as Howard Stern, I can't stand the man. On this I do agree.

I cannot stand Howard Stern's radio persona. However, I haved met the man, and find he is the nicest, most likeable guy I have ever met! Easy going, soft spoken, and a JOY to be around! Don't judge the man by his radio schtick. That is what you & I do not like. Big difference.

Doug
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Poof Daddy (where did you "get" that monicker???)

I wish I could get a booking for every time I was asked that question Smile - One of my early "paid gigs" (paid in free stuff) was a local top 40 FM radio station doing "Live action broadcasts" in parking lots, in front of new stores, car lots... whoever was advertising for the 2 hour block of time. They had a Hummer, a prize wheel and a tuki tuki bird. Since it was the "era" that Puff Daddy (before P Diddy, then Sean "P Diddy" Combs) was popular, I became POOF-DADDY The Magician for their gigs and it just stuck with me. I just went by my name before that and now it is pretty much my name with "Poof-Daddy" in the middle. Smile nothing much to it, just my 15 mins of fame (and a ton of free concert and amusement park tickets + new CD's and other stuff) The exposure was the important part. People would call the station to get my info (back when they had DJ's and not computer soundboards). I was also bartending at a bar/comedy club at the time. Table hopped for a couple years before that but the bar became a full time gig (best time of my life though).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Every layman that I've talked with, was ENTERTAINED, by the effect. No one mentioned the loads!

Read the comment sections on reviews of the show. It is most enlightening on how Laymen can see our performances

"You can clearly see him switch each cup from under the table, and in the beginning he only showed how one cup was empty, then everyone was shocked when the other two had balls in them."

"ok so this is ridiculous, I know nothing about magic, and I saw everything that he was doing, changing cups, removing balls, cups obviously with a hidden compartment that he opened at one point with his finger(i guess a button)… In previous season magicians were soooo amazing, what happened?"

"Matt Franco's cup and balls trick was OK; but his moves were a bit too telegraphed. After seeing how smoothly Penn and Teller do it, and seeing the other magician do it on "Fool Us" a few weeks ago, his cup and balls trick was decent, but still needed a lot more practice to make smoother."

Never underestimate what a layman sees of think he sees

"This was horrible. I caught it right away. At about 0:11 you can see him show the inside of the bottom cup to make it look like there was nothing there. Then he flips the cups around and takes the top cup first.
What about the tennis balls?
At 1:31 he switches the cups under the table and at 1:37 and the last one at 1:45"
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
We could nit pick this for a long time...let it go...the kid won despite what we all felt was right or wrong about his performances. We all have had our good days and not so good days when presenting magic to the public. Mat made one thing crystal clear which many magicians should take into consideration...personality trumps skill every time. I'll be working way more on my performance personality after seeing Mat perform. He is a breathe of fresh air in what can sometimes be a snobby and elitist group of entertainers.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Haha.. This comment is great!

Quote:
"...cups obviously with a hidden compartment that he opened at one point with his finger(i guess a button)… "
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Not so crazy when you think about it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
I'm also one of those "haters" who think that not only his final loads were way to obvious, but that his whole routine was horrible.
I think all the kids who have a cups & balls set at home have shown to their parents that they're able to do the exact same thing. No sleight of hands, no intelligent nor funny patter, just "look at what I do".
So, ok, he won and many people like him. That doesn't mean that his show was good and I can't understand why we, as magicians, should rejoice about it.
It's not good for magic that he won. It's just good for him.

Would you ask a musician who loves Beethoven if he's happy that Psy's Gangnam Style was the most watched YouTube video on the Internet? "Hey, it's music, after all and people love him! It's a good exposure for music!"
Sorry, I prefer quality over popularity (and I'm sure many laymen would appreciate the difference if they were more exposed to good quality magic)
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wait a second here JLemoine...are you saying that Psy's Gangnam Style is not classical music? You sir our wrong...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiK7_gj48Fg

(Please know that this post was made with tongue firmly in cheek).
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
That was fun!
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
:-D
Ok. My mistake.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mat Franco wins AGT (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL