We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A.S.A.P DVD featuring Atlas Brookings, Sylar, Art Vanderlay and Peter Turner (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

♠Sylar♠
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of ♠Sylar♠
Hey guys,

My name is Sylar and I call myself a Psychological Magician mainly because I perform both magic and mentalism. I am now working on a documentary about the history of deception focusing on magic and mentalism.
In order to raise funds we have a Indiegogo campaign and to give you guys an incentive to help we have made an exclusive Mentalism DVD as one of the Perks. The DVD contains 4 effects, one each from Atlas Brookings, Art Vanderlay, Peter Turner and me.

Here is a description of the effects:

Imbalanced by Atlas Brookings - An impromptu and prop-less murder mystery where the truth is sifted from the lies and the homicidal maniac exposed as the black-hearted fiend they really are.

A Series of Random Events by Art Vanderlay - The spectator shuffles a deck of cards and selects one at random. A story is told which reveals that very same card has changed the way you and your spectator see the world for the better.

Objective Thoughts by Sylar - You and the spectator play an imaginary version of the which hand effect using an object he is thinking of. You tell him in which hand the object is and then you proceed to reveal the object.

Mystery effect by Peter Turner - if you have any of Pete's material you know this will be good. For now we are keeping this effect a secret.

The Perk is £60 and they will be delivered a month after the campaign is over, so middle of November. You receive 4 great effects and help the project. The DVD's will be produced even if the campaign is not succesfull.

You can find the DVD here http://igg.me/at/sylardeception and all you need to do to order it is buy the Mentalism DVD Perk.

If you have questions about the DVD please don't hesitate to ask, if you have questions about the project please email me here sylarmagic@gmail.com

Thank you,

Sylar
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10218 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Just what we need, a documentary lumping magic and mentalism together, no thanks.
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Just what we need, a documentary lumping magic and mentalism together, no thanks.

Just what we need, a comment lumping ignorance and rejection together, no thanks Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The premise you say is the history of deception. Since when is the goal of a mentalist to deceive?

If atlas and the others agreed to share some b roll material based on your stated premise - personally I have zero interest.

Looks like you started off on the wrong foot IMO.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
♠Sylar♠
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of ♠Sylar♠
Hi Saysold,

The documentary has nothing to do with the DVD. If you want to discuss the film we can talk on FB, twitter or other social networks.

Sylar
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10218 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So what The Magic Café is good enough for you to come to promote your projects (two of them, for free) but not the place to discuss it? Yes, it sounds like you are off to a great start.
♠Sylar♠
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of ♠Sylar♠
Fair enough Mindpro. In my opinion no, our role is not to deceive, it is to entertain. We chose the word deception because the documentary studies witchcraft, mythology, voodoo, psychics, magic, etc so the best word we found to describe all of that was deception.

Thanks,

Sylar
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, ♠Sylar♠ wrote:
Fair enough Mindpro. In my opinion no, our role is not to deceive, it is to entertain. We chose the word deception because the documentary studies witchcraft, mythology, voodoo, psychics, magic, etc so the best word we found to describe all of that was deception.

Thanks,

Sylar

If you feel that the word "deception" sums up those topics (4 out of the 5 are belief systems, past and or present, and depending on how one interprets the last, all 5 could be) then it is something I would rather avoid.

Tony
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Since when has mythology, for one, been defined as deception?
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1580 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Bravo, Bob!

Mythology is a meta-language that is used to convey ideas or concepts that don't necessarily lend themselves to other lesser level languages. It cannot be true or false or deceptive in and of itself. The intent of users may be but mythology per se cannot be. I
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs of things that are not true, or not the whole truth.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Sometimes I marvel at what gets praised and what gets condemned here. I'm finding it less easy to predict these days. It seems like any opening pitch needs to be very carefully worded, because stating things in the wrong order, or in less-than-optimum language brings a crushing wave of discouraging criticism, whereas other times ebook effects are released that seem to be sheer and utter manure, and yet the response of the café is to lick it all up and then beg for more.

Well, if nothing else, I guess it's entertaining. Smile

On another topic, I love Peter (both his amazing mind and his sexy tatts Smile ), but I'm getting a bit bored of reading things like "if you have any of Pete's material you know this will be good. For now we are keeping this effect a secret."
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
They want (ideally) £25,000 over the next month in funding...but as its indigogo, even if they don't hit that mark - they get funded whatever it raises...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......4vTo-vls

i do personally think they chose the wrong term (deception), I think mystery is far more powerful - but maybe that doesn't tie in with what they are actually talking about for this project...
I've asked to be banned
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1334 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On another topic, I love Peter (both his amazing mind and his sexy tatts Smile ), but I'm getting a bit bored of reading things like "if you have any of Pete's material you know this will be good. For now we are keeping this effect a secret."

This is my fault, they asked me what the effect description was for the effect I was going to provide and I sent three effects as I didn't know which was better suited Smile

So even I don't know which one is going to be uploaded!

Anyway, as a side note - I had a good day today, I finished the day with a smile and met some amazing people to boot (not even related to this thread). Just thought I would share my happiness.

One thing that went wrong today, I put the wrong head on the shaver and accidentally shaved a patch out of my beard (right where it meets my mustache). I had to take a sharpie and dot in a few bits and then smudge it with my finger to make it seem natural.

Pete x
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1334 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, IAIN wrote:
They want (ideally) £25,000 over the next month in funding...but as its indigogo, even if they don't hit that mark - they get funded whatever it raises...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......4vTo-vls

i do personally think they chose the wrong term (deception), I think mystery is far more powerful - but maybe that doesn't tie in with what they are actually talking about for this project...

P.S I just provided an effect to help with the funding of the project, I get nothing out of it and am not affiliated with the project (other than being asked a couple of questions on there). I have seen some of the footage and there was some cool stuff about witches! Very interesting, but then again I am a sucker for documentaries x
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:

One thing that went wrong today, I put the wrong head on the shaver and accidentally shaved a patch out of my beard (right where it meets my mustache). I had to take a sharpie and dot in a few bits and then smudge it with my finger to make it seem natural.

Pete x

You are one kind of a guy my friend!

Back on topic... . I also think that the word deception will be problematic even in terms of funding, but I desire you nothing but all the best with your documentary Sylar.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
♠Sylar♠
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of ♠Sylar♠
Thanks for all the feed back guys, good or bad, it is all helpful. Mystery would work better then deception I just don't know if we can still change that. Will look into it and make some changes where I can.

Sylar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A.S.A.P DVD featuring Atlas Brookings, Sylar, Art Vanderlay and Peter Turner (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL