The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ian Rowland's "Full Facts of Cold Reading", "The Dance" by Brad Henderson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Sorry about this, but just a quick question to clear up a matter.

This is not a "which is better" but a "what will what cover".

I have no experience of Cold Reading, and thus will cut straight to the chase:

I've read in forum's that Mr Rowland's book is ideal for learning technique and methodolgy and that Mr Henderson's book covers a vast amout of (personally I love) theory, however does not delve into methods in as much detail as Mr Rowland's.

For a novice in this field, (e.g. not wishing to splash out on 2 books at once)

Which book will serve me as an good introduction to cold reading which I will find applicable, but enabling me to appreciate the code of ethics too?

Thanks in advance

Dave
David
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Dave: I have not seen The Dance so I cannot really comment on it, but I have Ian's book "Full Facts of Cold Reading" and can honestly say that this is one of the best bargains out there. Do a search here on the Café as this has been covered before.
All the Best
Marty
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Hi Dave: I'd say that without a good appreciation of HOW to properly use the techniques in a book like FFofCR, they will be of little value. While I have FFofCR on order, I have already read The Dance, and it is EXCELLENT. There are actually two reading formats given in the back which may help you and can easily be adapted to almost any reader's style.

Secondly, your language and attitude toward the sitter is of paramount importance, and The Dance offers some of the best ways of languaging your statements in a way so that a question, even a mistake, can sound like a hit.

It is an excellent work, and an easy and entertaining read. I'd give it 5 out of 5.

Happy reading!

Dave Xanatos
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
You might wish to check out this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&10

if you haven't. If it is not too bold for me to say this, I think Ian's book is a great book for detailing the kinds of lines which make up what most people think of when they think of cold reading. My book focuses more on the connective tissue, how to move from line to line, sinning misses into hits, i.e. The Dance more so than Ian's. Personally I feel they are a great compliment to one another.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ian Rowland's "Full Facts of Cold Reading", "The Dance" by Brad Henderson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL