The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A seemingly stupid question !! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
[quote]On Sep 22, 2014, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Ray, they talked to me about having my own lecture out soon as a DVD. Still waiting to hear about about release date.

Any word yet on this? I've tried contacting Penguin, but I get no answer. The "AT the Table" lectures are released almost immediately on DVD.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3965 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I recently contacted them for this very reason, as my impression at the time was that a release date was imminent. However, they would only tell me "soon". I wish I could be more helpful.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Michael, thanks. I'm still holding out. It's frustrating when you can't get a straight answer, though.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2014, avik_d wrote:...I'm talking about more visual routines like CoinOne and/or 3 fly. The moment a coin disappears in one hand should sync with the moment a coin appears in the other hand, which produces the illusion of teleportation. AND I BELIEVE THAT TO MAKE IT SUCCESSFUL, THE SPECTATOR SHOULD WATCH BOTH THESE EVENTS SIMULTANEOUSLY (please correct me if I'm wrong). ...

Not sure about simulaneous. unless star trek type teleportation is your desired effect. in the tv show for federation transporters they stop the action, cue a sound effect then spend some time on the sparkly fade-in/fade-out effects. it helps to have a desired effect in mind before fussing over methods.

Getting back to the "visual" aspect - try it with a flipper in one hand and the recovery in the other hand and see how things play. That way you have both a certain visual vanish moment thanks to the flipper and the appearance with the sleight ... so you can vary your attention direction and the physical actions independantly while working for audiences and find out what works for you in performance.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have always Thought In any coins Across, 3 Fly or whatever That it should Vanish From one Hand, Wait A beat And THEN It appears It The Outer hand!!!

anyway That how I how I have been doing it for the last 35 years of so! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

David, that depends on how you want to play the transit. for the second and third coins I was was doing it as a toss and catch action where the flight was invisible but clearly implied to have a strong vertical componant for the coin to land on my palm up hand. The one coin transit is a direct across action (the rubber band exercise). Playing with longer delays might offer additional wrinkles on the effect. For example what if the delay was ... a minute? Smile

In star trek they usually showed the transmition and then the reception with an obvious scene change between.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Yea Sounds great! I just Don't like doing It at the same Time! That way you miss something! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2015, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea Sounds great! I just Don't like doing It at the same Time! That way you miss something! Smile

Try this... both actions while they are looking at your face with no visible action or flinch of either hand. Then you look back down to where the coin appeared. Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

I Don't Know I Steal thank that they Say What Happened!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

One of the ideas behind visual magic is a flow of audience attention. They have to know where to look or at least what direction to be watching.

The open display idea/moveless aesthetic is its own thing. Nothing is supposed to have openly happened - reality gets edited/photoshopped.

The easiest example I can point folks to is the copenetro trick. even though you apparently have the coin behind your fingers the audience has conviction you picked it up from the stand and then they follow your tossing action... connecting the motion with the timed sound and action inside the copenetro glass. The story, even if absurd, flows - they go with the story and respond to the absurdity.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8852 Posts

Profile of funsway
Sometimes I followed up 3Fly effect with one called "invisible Shelf." It is a super slow-motion alternative based on the Expectations of the audience that the coin will transport.

A story is offered that you create an Invisible Shelf between your hands (perhaps 15" in front of your nose).

Any object placed on this shelf becomes invisible. Start with three coins in the right hand and none in your left.

A single coin at the fingertips is "placed" on this self and is seen to vanish. The right hand displays two coins.

Later (beat, beat or more) the empty left hand approaches and removes the invisible coin form the shelf where it becomes visible at the left fingertips.

Both hands displayed -- one on the left, two on the right. This is repeated with the other two coins, one at a time.

The Anticipation builds for the final pass so that all eyes are on the right hand as it places the final coin and that hand is now completely empty.

Then with only two coins on the left palm, that hand reaches up and extracts the third coin -- all three coins in the left now dropped onto the table.

I use a TUC to do this but with options are available.

The point is that that the "delay" between the vanish and appear can be quite long if there is a reason for the delay.

The power of this effect comes from the earlier 3Fly that happened quickly and relied on Surprise to some extent. Since they "know" a coin can magically transport they can be led down the garden path.

Now, the slowness "sells' the earlier effect and is done in the opposite direction. The complete transparency here destroys any "reconstruction" effort for the 3Fly,

thus, in any repeat performance a different 3Fly or other "Across" effect can be demonstrated first.

However, the style of pretending to describe how a trick is done without it being a sucker effect is not for everyone. If you can't act, son't do this.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
This is a cool thread with thoughts from some of my coin heroes. Am nobody @ all but I'll throw in my 2 cents..

Never been a big Coins Across fan, incl 3 Fly and CoinOne - tho do I think there's some seriously awesome thinking behind those two routines-
Am trying to find or come up with a routine that I like. (In the coming weeks I'll post a vid of a 1 behind handling I've been working on and also dislike lol..)

When rarely doing 3 Fly, I like seeing the coins appear and disappear instantly like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2eIgKm5t_Q
(..and yes I'd agree my hands are probably a bit too close together in the video..)

That's not to say all Coins Across routines benefit from having instant vanish/reproductions; anticipation and pauses etc are good in many circumstances, but I think 3 Fly works better that way and gives more of an impression that the coins are really zapping from one hand to the other. Anyway that's how I understood it when the book came out. To me Coin One is highly clever but less magical looking.

I've seen a lot of fellas do coins across over the years for lay people, and while they're usually puzzled, they're not utterly baffled/freaked unless there's maybe a final phase in a spectators hand. It's just kinda usually "3 over here and 1 over here.. [some funky Tenkaiesque move on the downbeat] my thumbs touch and now 2 over here and 2 over here.." Counting and keeping track.

Also am dyslexic so, as a spectator, 1 on the right and 2 on the left looks darn similar to 2 on the right and 1 on the left- especially if a few beats have passed between seeing the coins...
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
...and here is that routine am not crazy about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sctk2V3Dtys
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A seemingly stupid question !! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL