The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Mat Won. Sank Says... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
((( I personally think it's fabulous that Mat won AGT. There is not a jealous bone in my body. I feel that his win is a win for the whole world of magic and magicians. Mat made us all look good.

I received a letter from Sankey. I'm in concurrence with his assessment of the situation. He said, (and I quote):  "I wish magicians would stop complaining about Matt Franco winning 'America's Got Talent.'
Is Matt especially original? Definitely not. How about especially skilled? Again, no.
Matt isn't even especially entertaining. But Matt did exactly what far too many magicians fail to do. He truly CONNECTED with the judges and television viewers.
And he did it by being something ultimately more important than being original or skilled.
He did it by being charming and humble. Which made him supremely LIKEABLE. And in the 'business of showing,' likeability counts for an awful lot.
Yes, like many magicians, I wish this kind of important television exposure was spotlighting our more creative, original, inspired and skilled performers.
But as a community, we are so foolishly focused on keeping secrets and presenting irrelevant puzzles, the general public has little else to measure a magician by, other than, "Did he screw up his tricks?" and
"How much did I like him?"
The same can't be said of dancers, musicians, actors, comedians, painters and photographers. With those, the general public is far better informed about originators, styles, skills, bodies of work, influences, personalities, etc.
While in the magic ghetto, our obsession with secrets has created a vacuum of such public ignorance, likeability can win major contests. And fake 'tv magicians' without originality, skill or veteran performance chops, are created in video editing rooms and broadcast around the planet, as perverse representations of real magicians.
But instead of complaining, let's look to our own performances and creative efforts, and raise our own expectations.
Far too many performers in our community are 'karaoke magicians,' singing verses written by others, to melodies created by others (and often out of key.)
Instead, strive to be much more than just another 'paint by number' performer. Take risks. Explore. Find what is truly yours. Your voice,
your perspective. And dare to share THAT through your own deceptive
performances.
And keep in mind, the tricks are just tools. It's how much of your unique self you're able to express with them that really matters.
The focus on 'keeping secrets' has misdirected magicians and the viewing public for long enough.
Long live real magic.
Jay"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Great message, thanks for sharing.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Y.W.

I think Jay made some great points. Very incisive.

And I send good will to Mat and his new career!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Strong words coming from someone who has been on a severe cold streak for awhile - he should take his own advice. Also ironic that he is talking about paint-by-number or karaoke magicians when those people are his market, mostly.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Marvello, not sure about that, he may sell to the broad/general magic market, but a great deal of Sankey's material is outside the box (which doesn't always make it good).

Again, congrats to Matt, close-up magic moves ahead strong.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Although occasionally Sankey comes up with a new idea, he rarely performs his effects for audiences, which for me is a big turnoff and a big warning bell. When I see garbage like Flatline it makes me really not want to investigate anything else new that he releases.

Yes - congrats to Mat. Yay for magic.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17585 Posts

Profile of Slim King
We must connect... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Mat Won. Sank Says... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL