The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to store/make ready invisble thread. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Hello this is my first post. I am a younger though very experienced magician. I have done stage with upwards of two hundred people in Latin america, but my true calling here in the states is Close-up magic. I really like using invisible thread (without reel) in my acts, but once I stip it, I have a hard time storing it. I have to make it right before every routine and many times it breaks. So I stopped using for a while. But now that I have upgraded the method with fearsons floating cigarette I wonder if any of you know how to store it or rig it so that mulitple threads can be made and then used over several days. I have tried wrapping it on playing cards with know luck. Ideas? Thanks in advance; Smile
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey Mithrandir,
What are you having trouble with when trying to wrap it around a playing card? That's the method that I use with great success. I attach a small piece of putty to both ends of the thread and wrap it in a spiral motion from one end of the card to the other. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Whenever i wrap it on a card, it either breaks or gets tangled in the putty. It is possible I guess, but m looking for other ways.

Thnx for help
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Thread Miracles have so much info on maintaining thread. How to store it how to transport it and how to anchore it. You should look into them. I know volume 3 contains almost everything you need to know about how to store and transport thread.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Thnx for your replies guys. I guess I just have to work with it, though I may try lecairs hookup. Smile
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-06-22 19:15, mithrandir wrote:
Thnx for your replies guys. I guess I just have to work with it, though I may try lecairs hookup. Smile

Le Clair's works wonders for me! And I am a true clutz. I set it up and let it hang til I need it. Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
286 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
the way i do it is , i cut a length that i would normally use (3 feet for me) and i tape one end to the wall... then i start doing the shreading to get the individual thread.. one finished, just pull out the piece you and leave the rest until you need more....now if you want more than one piece, just in case the first one breaks, i just wrap it around a matchstick and tape the end.. for big parties, i could have a box full of matches with one length of thread per matchstick..hope this helps
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I love IT. got a couple reels and loads of fiber.

I do this. Although this is my own handling,(just kidding, everyone says that) feel free to use it and recommend it to any of the IT guys:

1.When you have the stripped thread make sure there is an extra 4-5 inches on each end.
2. Wrap one end about 4 times around a piece of scotch tape.
3. Tape this to a spare Card (plastic coated so the tape stays good)and continue to wrap
in a straight line.
4. When you get to the end unwrap just enough to wax and have end on the same side and next to the tape.

Done properly you sould be able to get six on a card all with the tapes and waxes on one side. then take another card and put over the waxes an stick both cards together.
Get a cheap plastic card packet wallet (60-65 cents) and load both sides.

This will give you 12 setups in your pocket that you don't need to worry about ever getting tangled or broken.

For use: Wash behind your ears so they are clean. Smile Unwind one at a time and stick the tape behind your ears and the wax on your belt about where the front of your hipbone is on each side.

The folicaly challenged should use the inside the shirt under the collar anchor. Smile

(BTW a couple of extra long setups are just the ticket for the Coin Asrah. If you havn't seen this done properly, your missing out. don't judge the props when you get them, its the effect that kills.)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
KingStardog,
Wow, excellent suggestion for keeping extra thread stored and available.

I like it! Smile Smile Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
what is the Coin Asrah? Can you describe it?

I do like your suggestions, as well.

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
It has been a life saver Kaliix, I can load both ears in about 2 minutes. I usualy excuse my self to wash something "sticky" off my fingers. No one has ever questioned this, as nobody likes sticky stuff on them.

Since I started using the plastic card wallets I keep three of them full. Seems like there is around 40 strands in the fiber i have now so it works good for me.

Once you do it a couple of times you will wonder why you ever did any thing else.

I have two reels as well, but the thread is much thicker.(almost useless in broad daylight) The 6.00 one from India is as good as the 30.00 U.S.one with Kevlar thread,but neither one matches up to the single fiber.

Glad to help. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I don't remember where my set came from exactly. I think it was Hank Lee's.

My set was pretty low quality for around
$30 U.S. But like i said, its the effect.

It is an Asrah Illusion for a Half dollar
coin

The set is:

A black special pillow about 4" square.
A Special Half dollar.
A special 12" silk

You need:

Your own long single strand set ups or a
larger model ITR.
About 2.5' of seperation.
Lots of practice.

It's not for everyone, but when done properly, very impressive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to store/make ready invisble thread. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL