The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fooling other magicians/mentalists (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, Slim King wrote:
I remember when Jim Callahan fooled Criss Angel and Criss melted down on national TV ... That was funny! Smile

Still Jim's lap dog, huh Dave? Good to see some things never change...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, Chaz93 wrote:
I thought it was Jim who had the melt down

Wow. Slim's cognitive dissonance at its best. Anyone can look at the video of that and see the reality.

When a Judge comes out of his seat .. Charges the contestant .. and then refuses to throw a punch ... I'm laughing all the way home. Jim gave him the 'Take your best shot" pose and CA just melted away. Uri Geller never worked with CA after that show again.
Look at Uri on the cover of Magic Magazine!!!! People love him!
http://www.uri-geller.com/pics/magic.jpg
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Neb
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Stefmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, Neb wrote:
I've found a decent amount of the material by Pete Turner and Colin Mcleod very practical in real world scenarios. Some of it is so strong I use it in most performances.
don't forget to check the real master of our craft like Cassidy, Osterlind, Maven,...

Nothing hype about thoses guys but, the real gems are there...

Of course and Annemann, Corinda,and Banachek. But this was just in reference to the comment about the types of things being released these days.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hmm. Banachek, Osterlind, Max and I still release material "these days." Smile We're not from the same generations as Annemann and Corinda you know. Smile
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Neb
I thought you might say that and I know the others are much older and dead!

I assumed Martin meant new effects by creators not long on the scene when he criticised them in his comment.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yeah- we'll be dead soon enough, but let's not rush it! Smile

But, yes, I agree - that's the material Martin was referring to.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1171 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Slim, actually Criss was not fooled by the performance. IN reality.. I kept telling Jim that Criss was going to go after him if he claimed he was real.. I also told Criss that Jim claimed to contact the dead and even offered to buy peoples souls.. Setting up the best moment on that show. It is why both were prepared for the moment. I love how people keep rewriting history. You can see it at the link below and certainly can see the Jim was not just "take your best shot pose" stance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1dwfzzXA4Q I have seen Criss hold his own with MMA fighters and you really do not want to go there with him.

Anyway back to the question at hand.

Fooling magicians is very different than fooling the lay public.. Often what works so well at a magic convention bombs in front of real people. The magicians are so in love with the method they often appreciate that more than the effect itself. A lay person does not know our tricks. SO if you use a gimmicked deck to achieve an effect, it is not as strong but much more straight forward usually for a layperson, but will not fool that many magicians who will love the more drawn out slight method. I always say KISS A TIT. Keep It Simple And Think It Through.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Neb
Great advice thanks guys!

I don't have any real interest in fooling other magicians, just in becoming the best I can possibly be at what I do and finding the best avenues to do so.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hi Banachek,

Slim just had to pop to the store to get some burn cream, so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf:

Herpy derp derp CALLAHAN blah blah PSEUDO-SKEPTICS yada yada yada CAPS LOCK!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Smile Smile Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Chris-

You forgot this one:

IT'S PARANORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Chris-

You forgot this one:

IT'S PARANORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

Apologies. Thanks Bob!
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Fooling the initiated doesn't interest me at all. My first and formost thought is entertain. So if I'm able to entertain those in the know, then I've don my job and done it well.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fooling other magicians/mentalists (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL