The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yoctosecond (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hi guys.
I'm fascinated by units of magnitude.
The yoctosecond is almost incomprehensible for those who can comprehend large numbers.
Many people don't realize how much 1 trillion is.
A yoctosecond is one trillionth of a trillionth of a second.
Or... the amount of time it takes light to travel across.......the nucleus of an atom. At the speed of light.
Excuse me while I go lay down in a dark room for awhile to unblow my mind.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news......tosecond
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The new NSA facility in Utah will be able to store at least 3 Exabytes of your data--with much more possible in the next five years. Personally, I think that figure is a gross underestimation.

An Exabyte is 1,000,000,000 Gigabytes.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/the-nsa......of-data/
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Did you know the human head weighs eight pounds? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If every second, Americans collectively eat one hundred pounds of chocolate then how much chocolate do Americans collectively eat in a Yoctosecond?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
While interesting, I care much more about the national debt.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Don't worry about the national debt, you are never going to pay it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, tommy wrote:
If every second, Americans collectively eat one hundred pounds of chocolate then how much chocolate do Americans collectively eat in a Yoctosecond?

The answer is 100 pounds divided by 10 to the negative 18th power. Easy on a scientific calculator, but also doable in your head as all the numbers are a 1 followed by zeros.

Answer: write the number 1. (not a period, a decimal point after the one.) Move it to the left 16 places, putting in a zero each time you move it. That is how many pounds your answer will be.

0.0000000000000001 Pounds of chocolate. Pronounce that as 1 pentillionith pounds.

Class dismissed
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well that's not much is it?

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Or... the amount of time it takes light to travel across.......the nucleus of an atom. At the speed of light.

That's some pretty sloppy physics.

Are we talking itty-bitty nuclei, such as hydrogen or lithium, or whacking big nuclei, such as Americium or Californium?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
You know Bill, I was wondering that same thing. The width of one proton is unbelievably small, but a Uranium nucleus, 92 protons clustered together with 146 neutrons, that is quite a bit bigger. If this truely is a Physics measurement, my guess would be it is a proten they are talking about.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
And then of course, there is Planck Time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yoctosecond (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL