The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some mental stuff .. Need a little of help (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

talmagiczk9
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of talmagiczk9
Hay every body,
I have a big show of children aged 9 in October 7 .
and I want to know if anyone here can recommend a DVD that
learn grate mentalisem effect for this age .
and the effects need to be funny .
Thanks all Smile

Have a grate week !!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Cody Fisher Comedy Confabulation, will get great laughs and will completely astound all the grown ups who are pretending they aren't really watching.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This is a joke, right? You have a show in less than two weeks and you're asking us what "grate mentalisem" effects you should learn?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think you can order the DVD and get it in a week ... So you'd have a few days to master it!

Or this would be quicker!

http://www.lybrary.com/bob-cassidy-m-41.html
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Hi Tal,

I took a look at your facebook page and now that I know who you are a little better, I can understand why you asked this. I hope you find your effect; there are some really good comedy mentalism routines out there, like the one Galileo mentioned, but comedy mentalism for kids isn't something very common.
I think mentalism by it's very nature requires a more mature audience to appreciate what is happening. With that said, I think you may find something that would work for you in a book of effects called Chicken Scratches by Floyd Collins. It is available on the Kranzo Magic website for a very reasonable price, and has many fun things in it - some of which may work for 9 year olds.
One thing about all this Tal...2 weeks doesn't really give you enough time to learn any of these effects, let alone develop a good routine. Maybe if you plan of adding new material for your next show, you should consider giving yourself a couple months to practice beforehand.

Best of Luck!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Thanks, Slim, but I'm afraid I wouldn't even recommend my own materials in this case. They're meant to be studied and learned, not "Buy now, perform tomorrow."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I was just kidding BOB ... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I suspected as much, DAVE. Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4374 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, JayFredericks wrote:
Hi Tal,

I took a look at your facebook page and now that I know who you are a little better, I can understand why you asked this. I hope you find your effect; there are some really good comedy mentalism routines out there, like the one Galileo mentioned, but comedy mentalism for kids isn't something very common.
I think mentalism by it's very nature requires a more mature audience to appreciate what is happening. With that said, I think you may find something that would work for you in a book of effects called Chicken Scratches by Floyd Collins. It is available on the Kranzo Magic website for a very reasonable price, and has many fun things in it - some of which may work for 9 year olds.
One thing about all this Tal...2 weeks doesn't really give you enough time to learn any of these effects, let alone develop a good routine. Maybe if you plan of adding new material for your next show, you should consider giving yourself a couple months to practice beforehand.

Best of Luck!

Wise word's there,could not put it any better myself.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just my opinion but I don't think mentalism would be suitable for 9 year olds. And as for learning it in a couple of weeks !!!
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
This is a joke......... Right?

Ray
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I hope so.

John archer has some great comedy, but ultimately the mentalism is too notch. Not aimed at children either, and definitely not suited to two weeks prep. Nothing should be

I suggest canning the job and starting again with some serious study before trying this, in all honesty, intrinsically difficult brief for a show.maybe stick to balloon animals for them for now.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, sjdavison wrote:
I hope so.

John archer has some great comedy, but ultimately the mentalism is top notch. Not aimed at children either, and definitely not suited to two weeks prep. Nothing should be

I suggest canning the job and starting again with some serious study before trying this, in all honesty, intrinsically difficult brief for a show.maybe stick to balloon animals for them for now.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just did a mind reading thing with my son who's a smart 5 ... He liked it .. Then I did kind of an ambitious Tarot card ... he seemed ok and laughed his bunnions off!!!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1551 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've done mentalism for 8/9 year olds. My daughter was my assistant in one routine I invented and still remembered it many years later. It was published in The Linking Ring but you'll find a rewritten version in Jeff Brown's "Sherlock Holmes Book of Magic" which will give you other ideas too.

Books before DVDs - always.

Barry
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
The easier way is to adapt something you already do for kids.

In vanish magazine 3 (you can get it for free Smile ) there was an article on adding a thema (Harry Potter, superheros, ...) to your kid show : that might be the easier answer.

Take something you already perform (something with a simple plot, that won't require any complex action from your volonter (you definitly don't want to lose your volonters or your public)) and take the time to add a thema. that will appeal to them Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12310 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, talmagiczk9 wrote:
Hay every body,
I have a big show of children aged 9 in October 7 .
and I want to know if anyone here can recommend a DVD that
learn grate mentalisem effect for this age .
and the effects need to be funny .
Thanks all Smile

Have a grate week !!

Mentalism I heard grates on children that age.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Extremely Mental by Boris Pocus. "It's strong. Very strong!" (At least, that's the claim - I don't own it, as it's not my style, but the trailer makes it look good for kids.)
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some mental stuff .. Need a little of help (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL