The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » The Smalltalk Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
Hi there.

I recently released a magic app called Smalltalk. You can read all about it at:

http://smalltalkeffect.com

The Effect:

The magician begins the trick by calling the spectators phone. He points out that the spectator's number is unknown by the phone, as they don't know each other at all. The magician hangs up and immediately places his phone in another spectator's hands for safekeeping. The spectator freely chooses a card and returns it to the deck. The magician now asks the spectator to call him back, directing the attention back to the untouched phone. The spectator makes the call. Instead of displaying the unknown phone number, the magician's phone now displays the spectator's name and the chosen card!

How it works:

Smalltalk uses a clever little app that saves the spectator as a contact in the magician's phone. Prior to the performance, the magician enters the information he wants to reveal. This may include the spectator's name, a picture of a card, a word or anything else that can be revealed in text!

The magician later forces the card or another piece of information that he wants to reveal.

The magician now calls the spectator from within the app. The app makes the call and the magician shows that the number is unknown. When the call ends, the app saves the number as a contact with all the information the magician previously entered. The app also disguises itself as the phone app so it won't reveal itself when the phone call ends.

All the work is done!

The spectator can now call the magician (or vice-versa) and the contact information will be displayed!

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
789 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Android? ??
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
It appears to only do card reveals?
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
It appears to only do card reveals?
BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
You can reveal any text-based information by typing it into one of the text fields.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
IMO, this is one nice app to add if you're into magic app. A few things though: I want to be able to choose image from my library, when I choose to reveal a non-cards. And please consider to add the function of this app so we can hand our phone and let the spec dial their own numbers. So everything happen while our phone is in their hand. It's much much stronger that way.

daniltan
BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
Great points daniltan! I decided not to include the photo library option in this version but perhaps I will change my mind. Your second point is something I will definately consider implementing sometime soon!
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Thank you for your response Smile
BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
Ursmagicbalu, I will probably release an Android version soon.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
789 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2014, BjornOrri wrote:
Ursmagicbalu, I will probably release an Android version soon.

Awaiting for the same, thank u..

Please update the news here
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Phatmeat
View Profile
Elite user
Germantown, Maryland
484 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I just downloaded this app and I'm experiencing an issue with it.

There's three fields for inputting text, as shown here: http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple5/v4......568.jpeg

The problem I'm having is that none of the text I enter in the second field shows up when the spectator calls my phone.

So for example, if I enter "John Doe" in Field 1, "Your card is..." in Field 2, and "...the 3 of hearts!" in Field 3, what will happen when they call me is it will show the name "John Doe" at the top and right below it it will say "home" and the word "home" will change to "...the 3 of hearts!". But the second field of text never shows up and when I look at the saved contact in my phone the text I inputted in Field 2 is nonexistent. "John Doe" will be in the First Name field and "...the 3 of hearts!" will be in the Company field, but "Your card is..." is nowhere to be found.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.
vivekdesai
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of vivekdesai
I'd really love an android version of this if possible.
Or maybe I should just buy an I phone 6.

Either way I'll be following this thread waiting for an update.
BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
Hey Phatmeat, thanks for the detailed report. I will look into this issue.
BjornOrri
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of BjornOrri
@Phatmeat, I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. Normally the text you put in the second field should be saved as the phone type in your contact list.
Does this happen all the time? Is it possible that you already had an entry for the number in your contacts?

@vivekdesai I'm not sure I'll be following through on the Android version. There are two reasons I haven't done it so far (apart from the lack of time):

1. Android devices can be very different as opposed to iPhones, which are all pretty much the same. The information that Android phones display on the call screen might be different depending on your device. I didn't want to release an app that behaved in a wrong way on some devices or displayed images in awkward sizes on the call screen and so on...

2. Google didn't support creating a merchant account in my country. This meant that I couldn't sell apps on Google Play although I could publish them as free apps.
So, to summarize: I don't use Android devices plus I won't get anything for this = No motivation

Fortunately though, Google now supports merchant accounts in my country. Although I won't rush into making Smalltalk for Android, I'm planning on releasing my newer app Vanish for Android soon.

Vanish café thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=273
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » The Smalltalk Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL