The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Books that have shaped me (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Greater Magic for $100.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Abe Books is awesome.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
"Greater Magic, but don't want to pop out $300"

I have the version that is just the card tricks pulled out. It is still a pretty hefty book. All I cared about was the card stuff anyway so I've never missed not having the rest. That book comes up on ebay now and then for way under $100.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Amongst those I'd list, in no particular order, are:

The (New King James) Bible, various authors

Mathematics (Time Science Library), David Bergamini

My father's university trigonometry and calculus textbooks, the exact titles and authors of which escape me, alas

Five Weeks to Winning Bridge, Alfred Sheinwold

Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis

Stars of Magic, various authors

The Amateur Magician's Handbook, Henry Hay

Fun with Magic, Joseph Leeming

More Fun with Magic, Joseph Leeming

Some grammar book my parents had, the title and author of which escape me, alas.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Mere Christianity is also one of my favorites.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Fun with Magic, Joseph Leeming

More Fun with Magic, Joseph Leeming

The Leeming books were such favorites of mine when I was a child that I recently got a hold of a copy of More Fun with Magic. Alas, Thomas Wolfe was right--you can't home again. It really doesn't hold up IMO.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
639 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Magnus, you are right -- I am confusing my authors! Embarrassed to death...

I think I meant to name Brealey and Myers -- their "Principles of Corporate Finance" is just 18" apart from "Numerical Analysis" on MY bookshelf, as I type this....

(Come to think of it, Burden and Faires was pretty good; but it wasn't, like, life-shaping or anything.....)

Magnus, I salute your sharp eyes! And good find on the SRA materials!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Greater Magic for $100.

Just ordered it. Thanks, John.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
Greater Magic for $100.

Magicians helping magicians.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What are the odds, eh, Joe? Burden and Faires did have a sweet cover, though Smile

Very cool Jeff. Enjoy!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Greater Magic for $100.

Magicians helping magicians.

Now that was funny Lobo. I got a good chuckle out of that one.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
You chuckled?

Lobo wasn't joking.

Whatever.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
You chuckled?

Lobo wasn't joking.

Whatever.

I don't know man. It seems like he was joking. Don't get me wrong I have had magicians help out here every now and then and I have done the same, but it seems like most of the time the whole "magicians helping magicians" really is just a marketing, propaganda slogan rather than an accurate reflection of objective reality. And I know am I am not the only who would precieve it the same here so it's not "just me." In any event, I thought it was funny and good comedy from Lobo and it really did, honestly, no joke or sarcasm, made me laugh.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Give me 26 lead soldiers and I will conquer the world.”

― Benjamin Franklin, Wit and Wisdom from Poor Richard's Almanack
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Lobo wasn't joking.

And "magicians helping magicians" is far more than a marketing, propaganda slogan here.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
A "marketing propaganda slogan?"

Hardly. The vast majority of members here actually do help each other. That's the whole purpose of the Café. (Except for NVMS, of course.)

Check out the Penny for Your Thoughts forum if you doubt me.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
A "marketing propaganda slogan?"

Hardly. The vast majority of members here actually do help each other. That's the whole purpose of the Café. (Except for NVMS, of course.)

Check out the Penny for Your Thoughts forum if you doubt me.

Alright, I think that's a fair assessment. You like that whole "marketing propaganda slogan" didn't you? What's Penny for Your Thoughts about? I tell you Bob, I purchased this Kidabra DVD and man, that was well worth the money. I totally stink as a children's magician. How I got into childrens magic is I would amaze adults with close up magic and they would think it was so amazing they genuninely liked it that they wanted to book me for their kids birthday party and I would get so many requests, that I simply couldn't ignore the money making opportunity. Performing kids shows is a lot of fun once you can get an idea of how to do a kids show. You can't perform the same kind of magic for a children's birthday party that you would for a big corporate event. I've gotten to where I am getting better with balloon animals and even adults are begining to request some balloon animals from me. It's kinda nice to be able to do some cool magic tricks and a few cool balloon sculptures.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
You can't perform the same kind of magic for a children's birthday party that you would for a big corporate event.

As a matter of fact, one can.

I've been doing it for years.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Wow S2000 I forgot about the bridge books. Add Play Bridge with Reese and Bridge with the Blue Team. Whether any of the authors cheated or not. Your choice of 5 Weeks to Winning Bridge is excellent also. I wish I could find a copy now. Also the S.J. Simon books.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 4, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
You can't perform the same kind of magic for a children's birthday party that you would for a big corporate event.

As a matter of fact, one can.

I've been doing it for years.

Really? Kids don't seem to be able to understand or follow my card tricks like the adults can. That's why in my kids show, as of right now, I don't include any of my card tricks that I perform for corporate events or an adult birthday party (had many bookings for adult birthday parties as well). Entertaining adults and entertaining kids seem to require two different skill sets. I find it more challenging to entertain kids as opposed to adults. I guess because most of my experience has been in close up magic designed for adults to fool the critical thinking, analytical and more mature adult mind as well as to entertain that mind in the process. So I have to had to change mode in thinking to better be able to entertain children and the tricks in my show have to be more down to their level. I have also included some tricks that are for children like using a change bag for example. I would never use a change bag to perform a magic trick to entertain adults.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Books that have shaped me (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL