The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Developers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1576 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Any idea of how long it will take to adjust your apps to meet the new IOS and new Iphone 6s? Thanks.

Patrick Wallace
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Patrick, nobody can tell you really, each developer is different and individually qualified... I know by one developer who is not developing for "us" that many developers will drop out soon as the new iOS (8) is so completely different and far more challenging concerning programming functioning apps. He thinks that many will give up. I tend to believe him as he is a pro; so we will see. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1576 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
***! I upgraded to IOS 8 already.

Thanks Jan!

Patrick Wallace
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Jan, interesting. I am finding 8 to be huge, yes, but in such a great way. I, for one, am doubling down on iOS development, not walking away from it! (And I say this as a developer myself). I've even got several Swift classes (Apple's new language) already in the beta of the next version of my app.

Cheers,
Scott

PS
And yes, Jan is right about development time. It's going to vary depending on app complexity, team size, and developer skill.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1519 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I personally think that Apple move to create a new language (SWIFT) to develop on IOS 8 is rather crafty.

Here are a few thoughts:

1. Swift is a modern language with resolute modern syntax and features and will be under sole control of Apple, who love to own everything.
2. Swift is easier than Objective-C and may be faster, though as they use the same compiler LLVM it might debatable how much faster.
3. Apps can be written in a combination of Swift and Obj-C therefore easing the adoption of Swift by current Obj-C developers.
4. Swift will disrupt Android Ecosystem, as there are many tools that help convert from Obj-C to Java and vice versa. Porting from Swift will be therefore more difficult - to start with, but because Swift is nearer to C# and Java it might be easier to convert.
5. Apple will attract more developers (as most people are rather reluctant to learn Obj-C, understandingly) and even more apps will be published.

I can see Apple keeping and maybe increasing his market share with this bold move. I am an Android & Window developer (Java + C#), and learning Swift (which is available online) looks so much more appealing than Obj-C.

My two cents.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Very interesting! It makes sense as Apple announced to be more "open" for developers... but they have to learn (as you do) something new which works for Apple only (at least for the moment). The same app has to be very different "behind the scenes" in order to make it work on various systems. Question remains how many developers are willing to learn something new and to take the extra work to create with different systems functioning apps. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Developers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL