The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello New Release (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Matt Mello has a new release coming out soon! It's called "The Imaginary Object."

Matt shared the idea with me a couple of months ago. The first effect he showed me went something like this:

A spectator stands beside a magician on stage. The spectator's eyes are closed. The magician shows his clearly empty hand, reaches into the air, grabs nothing, and puts nothing into the spectator's hand. But he tells the spectator that he is actually putting something into her hand. He asks her a series of questions about the imaginary object in her hand. Questions like: Large or small? Light or heavy? Round or sharp? and so on. Eventually the spectator describes a cork to the audience. The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen. It is an envelope that has been in view the entire time. There seems to be a bulge within. The spectator opens the envelope and behold, there is a cork from a wine bottle! The spectator somehow intuits what object is predicted beforehand! Can also be demonstrated as a PK effect, where one person holds the real cork as another person ‘feels’ it.

This was the first effect and it was great! About a month later, Matt sent me another idea along the same imaginary object premise. This effect is as such:
A spectator stands on stage beside the magician. Within seconds, she is acting like a zombie under the magician's command. She is asked to take off her shoes and empty her pockets. She then closes her eyes. The magician has the woman imagine that he is holding a mouse at his finger tips (He holds nothing.) He then tells her he is placing the mouse into one of her shoes. (He places nothing.) He then has the woman slip her shoes back on. When she has her foot half way in the shoe, she screams and shakes the shoe off her foot saying she felt something moving inside! The magician calmly reaches into the shoe to remove the "mouse." His hand comes out completely empty, holding an imaginary mouse by its tail. She now tries to slip her shoe on and is met with a triumphant victory. You can also have them imagine a rock in their shoe, if a mouse isn't your style. They will genuinely feel discomfort putting on their shoe!

Those of you here know that I am a huge fan of Matt's work. He always takes something so elementary and turns it into something phenomenal. This is no different. This uses an extremely simple gimmick to play extremely huge. It's such a unique use for the gimmick. I've never seen anything like it. I haven't had a chance to try either one of these out yet, but I really want to and will soon! This can be done on stage or close up for friends. Matt provides some great additional ideas. Including making the shoe effect into a prediction. There's absolutely no hypnosis or psychology at work here. It will work 100% of the time. Matt also has a VERY nice patter for the cork effect. It appears to use suggestion to force the spectator into thinking of a cork. It is a very nice idea indeed. I will use this presentation if I use that effect in one of my shows.

Over all, I think this is fantastic! Again, for $5, it's hard to not love it. It's very simple and a very direct method, but I think it has the potential to fool even the most astute audiences.

Great work as always Matt!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I just want to thank Matt for keeping his prices down. Tough economic times...it's nice to treat myself and not break the bank. Thx Matt!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, man! The Imaginary Object is available through myself for $5, sent to mattmello88@gmail.com through paypal. The PDF length is 14 pages.

Any non-exposure questions can be asked openly here, and anything else can either be sent via email or PM!

Matt
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Good work! From the description I began to get an idea. After reading "The Imaginary Object" in its entirety I am very pleased with my small investment. So bold I will probably have a very hard time keeping a straight face while performing. The zombie bit alone is timely and well worth $5. Matt...you are on an amazing roll. Thank You
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, Kevin! As you say, it's hard not to laugh while using this concept. It's always fun being bold in performance!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
It would be nice to hear a review from someone who has tried this a few times. Sounds exciting but we can read the description anywhere.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Yeah Matt not only continues to produce working routines for 5$ but they are also all unique in premise, something very rare these days in mentalism.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Will grab a copy later...cork/rock sounds interesting..
I've asked to be banned
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1300 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I perform Francis Menotti's Vivid a lot as the spectator really does tell you everything about the object.
The strength of Vivid is how the volunteer fills in the gaps and they're as amazed as everybody else, including the magician.
In performance does The Imaginary Object play strong for the volunteer too?

I loved imaginary ball. I bought that and plan to use it.

Joel.
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your interest in this! The Imaginary Object is very similar to The Imaginary Ball. Not in effect or method, but in the experience that the participant has. When they open their eyes, and everyone starts talking about what they witnessed, your spectator will have no idea how they did what they did. The more they talk about it, the more amazing it gets!

Matt
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3747 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Just ordered. Sounds like a fun routine. I also have Matt's Imaginary Ball routine which is very good.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
I will never regret buying this idea that Matt created!

Wow GENIUS Smile

My $5 best purchase ever!!!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Just read it and it sounds great! I'm gonna try it out tonight.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Brilliant once more Matt. This may well be my favourite Mello effect yet!

So, so clever use of a timeless gimmick. But the simplicity makes it not about the prop or method, but all about the experience you will leave the spectators with. It is a cast iron method provided the spectators follow your directions, but I guess this is a risk you take with most effects.

A solid 10/10 and one I will get years of fun performing, especially the weddings and banquets I tend to work.

(now to dust off the prop and put it back to work)

Chris
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
"The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen."

Just slightly confused, is the spectator the one holding the prediction from the beginning? From where does the prediction come?

Regards,
Mike
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
"The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen."

Just slightly confused, is the spectator the one holding the prediction from the beginning? From where does the prediction come?

Regards,
Mike
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can see how that could be confusing. They aren't holding a prediction. It should have read, "The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and then a prediction is shown."

I really don't perform it as a prediction so much as a real-time PK demonstration, one person somehow 'feeling' the real object held in another person's hand.

Matt
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1300 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
This is a great idea too.. my favourite section is the routine with a cork prediction. It's so simple but absolutely works.
If you like imaginary ball and the sheer simplicity then this will work for you - I'd say this is a devious worker!

Joel.
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thank you, that helps! Will be ordering!

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, matthewmello wrote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can see how that could be confusing. They aren't holding a prediction. It should have read, "The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and then a prediction is shown."

I really don't perform it as a prediction so much as a real-time PK demonstration, one person somehow 'feeling' the real object held in another person's hand.

Matt
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Sorry about my confusing vernacular!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello New Release (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL