The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sharing ruins it for everyone... (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Silvertongue wrote:
What do I expect for free? I have already explained I am on niether ship, I fly no flag. I have spent $1000's of dollars supporting this 'Underrepresented'? community. I have been part of this community for 15 years and the larger magic community for 30 years and have not asked anyone to represent me.

The way you paint the picture you are part of the worse side. By spending thousands of dollars you create the market that draws creators to sell their creations. The narrative you paint actually cast the pirates as hero in that their action discourage creators from putting things to market.

I stand by my original assessment of your character, a hypocrite and an elitists. You willingly participate in the system you decry and then talk down on those having trouble within that system.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3290 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
So, if I steal a car, repaint it and change the logo, then it belongs to me.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Mad0hatter wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Silvertongue wrote:
What do I expect for free? I have already explained I am on niether ship, I fly no flag. I have spent $1000's of dollars supporting this 'Underrepresented'? community. I have been part of this community for 15 years and the larger magic community for 30 years and have not asked anyone to represent me.

The way you paint the picture you are part of the worse side. By spending thousands of dollars you create the market that draws creators to sell their creations. The narrative you paint actually cast the pirates as hero in that their action discourage creators from putting things to market.

I stand by my original assessment of your character, a hypocrite and an elitists. You willingly participate in the system you decry and then talk down on those having trouble within that system.

Thanks, are you a character analyst? Maybe I am a bit of what you say I am, well I am because when I look deeper I find no qualities from my own side, inherent within this body and mind. I have a wish though to be more loving, wise and compassionate. I guess I have a ways to go.

Anyway my postings weren't meant to be offensive to anyone, I wasn't sticking up for the pirates, I feel I was just trying to address a problem which disturbs my mind in that no measures are put in place for this seeming eventuality. Take no offense as I graciously bow out...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Maybe you should learn to articulate yourself a bit better as your points are very confused,
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Maybe you should learn to articulate yourself a bit better as your points are very confused,
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Wot e sed
-Shantideva

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well I am confused Smile - I thought ST was saying one thing but maybe not!

I saw in Penny that Atlas was selling train tracking to a select group of people - vetted, screened etc. - coded books etc. yep, I knew they would end up pirated! Why? Not that I condone it - but as soon as you sell it to someone your control really is gone over it - and then to someone you really don't know well - you really take the risk.

Heck, I am totally against piracy... the reason I did all my Carcosa stuff free and only gave out materials to people who spent time trying to do things creatively helped me at least minimize risk. However, its like entropy - we must resist it - but it still is there. I still like the model like a Kickstarter style campaign where the creators/writers calculate how much they want - and take all the $ in escrow - release it to all the buyers at once and have the $ - and then whatever happens next you at least made what you wanted and the pirates don't cut in - you also at least establish a publishing record.... or as some said - get advertising funds up front to underwrite the production.

I stopped the Carcosa activities as I got busy, cost me too much of my own $ over time, - and it was my way of giving back to the community here - which for now I feel I've done.

I am glad to see MM is popular and will have a fan base to help support the new format - whatever it is. I just hope you have a model to get value/reward for your actions!

Note: I do not support piracy. I also do not support accepting it passively without doing action. I also accept piracy exists and so must be aware of what that can mean for my creative actions. I hope that does not mean I am lacksidaysickle giving up!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
pickin_grinnin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
144 Posts

Profile of pickin_grinnin
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Lord Freddie wrote:
Thank you! All the previous issues remain available on the website www.themysticmenagerie.com and the first issue was actually free!

I just bought all the existing issues. Thanks much!
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Wow. What the hell is in this magazine anyway? Now I wanna check it out.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1670 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
ZoOpDog -

To answer you in three words:

Brilliant creative thinking.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5944 Posts

Profile of george1953
Check it out on Dan's site, you won'tregret it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Also on www.themysticmenagerie.com

All 14 back issues are available. Despite Silvertongue thinking its an open distribution of "secrets", it's actually much more than that and covers areas of interest to the bizarre community and we have had contributions from some of the greats of the genre.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Sweet I think I'll get it too
-Shantideva

Snoogans
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Snoogans
This sucks, but I can understand the frustration. I look forward to the next generation and I hope to contribute as well!
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Thanks! We should be announcing it in the next few weeks so watch this space!
Producing the MM has been fun and people's support is appreciated.
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
353 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Looking forward to the new announcement! In the meantime, I'll have to grab the rest of the back issues I don't currently have.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Thanks. We should be announcing the new format very soon!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5944 Posts

Profile of george1953
Drool drool dribble Smile Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Moving to podcasts. Really?
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Yep! It's the only way forward. Putting your heart and soul and hard work into something just so people can dish it out to their mates for free and put it on file sharing sites is something you can only withstand a few times before you have to move in another direction. We've got some exciting things lined up for future shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sharing ruins it for everyone... (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL