The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sharing ruins it for everyone... (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Well podcast have their own pro's and con's. I'd have prefered another router as for me the podcast is far less consumable than a magazine.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
The problem with magazines is you make it the best you can and cheap and affordable yet people still rip you off. Bizarre is a fairly tight knit community compared to the wider magic world so the chances are the people who forwarded a copy to their friends which were passed on and on until it appeared on file sharing sites, are probably people we know who we have had jolly conversations with.
Last year I posted a few editorials in the magazine talking of this situation and asking people not to do this as we are only a small business who offers something of great quality for a cheap price. Some people still continued to illegally distribute the magazine which was huge "screw you" to both us and our hard work. It was originally conceived as an underground publication aimed solely at those that practice the darker arts and for a close but small community that was severely under represented. It was only available from us. The fact it appeared on Chinese knock off sites next to card magic and balloon modelling dvds and sold as a zip file for one dollar was infuriating and not what we envisaged the magazine to be. Sadly in this industry there are people who collect "secrets" to be deemed superior and to indulge a collectors instinct. They never read or perform the material and just want to own it. These people started to distribute and collect MM as just another file on their hard drive. We intended the MM to be something solely for the bizarre community but once a few of our paying customers started forwarding it to their mates it became just another file traded by those that never perform but want to own everything. We tried to keep it going as long as we could and five years and 14 packed issues is quite an achievement in a world with far too many thieves and pirates
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
That's not an issue inherent with the magazine, it's an issue with anything you charge people for someone for some reason is going to try and give it away. Heck if MM was a paper publication someone would still spend and evening scanning it into their computer and share it that way.

My main problem with podcast is that they don't engage me the way written word does so when I try to listen to one I eventually start doing something else and the podcast falls to back ground noise.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Ah, then you need headphones and a dark room!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I love the podcast medium, it works so well for me as I spend a lot of time on the road. Podcasts and audiobooks have kept me free from road rage for nearly a decade now.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully it feels like you are eavesdropping on the sort of conversations we have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sharing ruins it for everyone... (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL