The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hanky Poo vs Three Card Prince (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
Are these the same routine or are they different? Have mixed messages and both are hard to find!
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I of course mean Harry Anderson's effect.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Exactly the same. Harry Anderson's Three Card Prince is simply a smaller version of his Three Card Monarch.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You may be confused by Harry's version of the "Three Card Trick With Four Cards", for which he also uses the same "Hanky Poo" patter. In that case, the two tricks are completely different. The "Hanky Poo" patter can be used with practically any monte trick. If you can't find it anywhere else, you'll find Spellbinder's version of the "Three Card Trick Using Four Cards" (originally by Joe Rider c. 1970) in The Wizards' Journal #22 - minus Harry's "Hanky Poo" patter which you can listen to on YouTube.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Yes, Jim, I'm also familiar with his "Three Card Trick With Four Cards" and the hanky poo line he uses in that routine. I just sounded to me like dader76 was talking about Three Card Monarch/ Prince but of course, I could be wrong.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I should have been specific about to whom I was responding; I was responding to dader76, the original poster's question, in which he seemed to think "Hanky Poo" was the name of a separate card trick, rather than just the patter line for a variety of Harry Anderson monte routines.
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
Ah, you are both very helpful....the version I'm looking at is the one he did on SNL back in the 1980s. So is THAT the Three Card Trick w Four Cards or Three Card Monarch? It was the routine that attracted me. PS I don't think you can see him doing this on Youtube...NBC seems to have balked.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
The one he performed on SNL is the 3 Card Trick Using 4 Cards (Joe Riding). If I'm not mistaken, I think Joe originally called it the Irish 3 Card Trick Using 4 Cards.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can find the complete description for Monarch Monte, including "Hanky-Poo" patter, in Harry's book "Tipping the Hat" which is still available from Meir Yedid. In the book, the trick is referred to as "Wise Guy Monte."
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Need HELP with Harry Anderson's Three (3) card Prince (Monarch) HELP
I have the Prince version of this set that I got when it came out, but I have yet to be able to work through it, even using a mirror or video camera.
I am a visual learner, is there a video version of the instructions?
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry Anderson's "Hello Sucker".

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hanky Poo vs Three Card Prince (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL