The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peg and link memory work (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dd123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dd123
Hi all. I am currently learning the above system, and have correctly memorised a list of 100 random objects in and out of order. However I am not sure how to distinguish between different lists? I am having issues keeping the different lists separate in my mind. Is this a common issue? Any help greatly appreciated!
Regards, Duncan.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
It has been for me at times. Unless I constantly run the various lists in my head, I, at times, get certain links confused. I've even gotten links within the same list confused! For example, the peg I use for 16 is "dish", but when I used my first 52 pegs to memorize a deck of cards, the 16th card in my stack is the 6 of diamonds, which for me is "dish" as well! Anyway, as long as I keep up with my lists on a daily basis, I'm able to keep things straight. It's only when a few days or a week goes by and I don't refries, that's when I run into problems.

Also, when it comes to memorizing long lists (like in your case, 100 random objects), I've started to use the memory palace system instead of a peg system. I've created 5 different memory palaces and I find that it's easier for me to keep those lists separate. You may want to look into that.

Hope that helps.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Keep in mind that the peg system is best suited as an aid to short term memory. If you use a list long enough it will move into long term memory and you won't need the mnemonics.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Unless you use whiskey long enough too😆
NeilMcCauley
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of NeilMcCauley
I would strongly recommend ditching the peg system and instead moving over to the Major System, possibly in combination with memory palaces, as Mr. Mindbender mentioned. I use Derren Brown's version of the Major System, where 1=l, 2=n, 3=m, 4=r, 5=f/v, 6=p/b, etc. That way, I have the same thing the peg system gives me (an object/image for the numbers 0-100), and also the ability to transform numbers to words on the fly. For instance, the Major System image for one is Loo (L for 1 and you fill in vowels to make it a word). So, if I were memorizing a list of randomly called objects, I would link the first object called to the image of a loo (toilet). So, that covers everything the peg system offers, but then I can use the system in conjunction with a memory palaces to keep lists separate. You could also use multiple words for the same numbers, if you wanted to memorize two lists. The word for 1 in one list could be Loo, but for another it could be Lee (someone's name). It's basically a much more flexible approach.

To sum-up: It's always best to use the memory system best suited to the task at hand (called out objects, order of a deck of cards, etc.). But I find the Major System with memory palaces to be the most powerful. This is a great forum to learn more about memory stuff: http://mt.artofmemory.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Neil-

If you're talking about rhyming peg systems I would agree, but the best peg system uses the numeric alphabet as well. And the Memory Palace is really nothing more than a primitive peg system itself. I learned all I need to now about mnemonics from the works of Harry Lorayne.
dd123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dd123
The peg system makes perfect sense to me, and I am learning it from Harry's book but I really feel that it could be even more useful if I could find a way to separate the lists. It works fine when the lists are fundamentally different e.g. Shakespeare's plays, and Dicken's novels. But when the lists are random objects then I run into trouble. I understand that with random objects these should just be used for short term feats Bob, but I was just thinking aloud really.
I'm not sure the memory palace would help me over and above what the peg system offers.
P.S. Bob, as I write this I am watching your Mental Miracles dvd for the first time! I'm not stalking you or anything though. Ahem.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I watch that DVD once in a while myself just to look at who I was then. It's always nice to see the late Dennis Marks again. He hosted the lecture and was a dear friend. May he RIP.

Here's a tip, though, for using the peg system to remember multiple lists.

Suppose you have three lists, each containing one hundred items that you wish to memorize. Simply use the pegs for 1-100 for the first list, 101-200 for the second list, and 201- 300 for the third. Since pegs are easily created on the fly, it would be fairly easy to take this into the thousands if you had a serious desire to.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Dd123 what are you memorizing in particular?
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
909 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, dd123 wrote:
Hi all. I am currently learning the above system, and have correctly memorised a list of 100 random objects in and out of order. However I am not sure how to distinguish between different lists? I am having issues keeping the different lists separate in my mind. Is this a common issue? Any help greatly appreciated!
Regards, Duncan.

I learned decades ago to use the Roth system, which is a phonetic/ alphabet peg type system. Although I have gone to one hundred, rarely did a presentation requiring morethan 1 to 25.
Just wondering if you might try using a colors system overlaid on the objects you are visualizing if you are doing two ssts of 1 to 100?
That is, for example, visualize everything, every object peg and item in the color blue for 1 to 100 for one list, then "see" every item in red for the second list, 1 to 100. Don't know if that would help or work, but just a suggestion. Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
dd123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dd123
Thanks all for some great suggestions. I think Bob's suggestion would work best. It's always the most simple solutions that are the most effective.
The reason I learnt 100 items was purely to test myself on the system. I can see that this would have no real commercial use but it was good to do, and pretty q quick too.
I think I will be trying to learn the card memory system next. Expect more questions on that!
Thanks again, Duncan.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1504 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
+1 for the Major System.

Mike
jaymeswhite1219
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite1219
If you are confusing yourself with different lists, what about if you added numbers so lets say list one is the peg words from 1-100 then for list two why not peg from 101-200, list three 201-300 etc. I know it sometimes is a bit tricky to come up with peg words after 100 but I know you can find a word for each one.
jaymeswhite1219
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite1219
I did not see Bob's reply, and I just said the same thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peg and link memory work (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL