We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Chinese Shuffle To Memdeck Order (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1004 Posts

Profile of shakuni
In the book "The Sectrets Of Brother John Hamman" there is a procedure called "Chinese Shuffle To Si Stebbins Stack". Its basically a radix(2) sort to setup Si Stebbins stack from a shuffled deck. Has anyone applied similar method to Aronson stack or mnemonica stack?
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
356 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Yes it's been done. Actually it's been greatly improved upon in the past ten years. Not sure if it's been published.

Back to the original query, The Chinese Shuffle as written is pretty easy to map into any stack you want. Just not as easy to master.

If Mnemonica is used, the memorizing can be simplified if you decide to not sort fully into the stack but to the point before out-faroing the top 18 cards.

I suspect the Chinese Shuffle will come into vogue after the Mead book is released.

Best,
Jed
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Sorry to sound dumb here, but Mead has a new book coming out? Is he the one that's improved upon the Chinese Shuffle as you mention?

Thanks!
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
356 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Yes he is working on at least one book.

And no he is not the the one to work on the Chinese Shuffle. Although I
can't be sure that he hasn't worked on it, or similar topics.

Here's a link about the book:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Thanks for the info!
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1004 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Any more info on this? Thanks.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1520 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, JBSmith1978 wrote:
Yes it's been done. Actually it's been greatly improved upon in the past ten years. Not sure if it's been published.

Back to the original query, The Chinese Shuffle as written is pretty easy to map into any stack you want. Just not as easy to master.

If Mnemonica is used, the memorizing can be simplified if you decide to not sort fully into the stack but to the point before out-faroing the top 18 cards.

I suspect the Chinese Shuffle will come into vogue after the Mead book is released.

I see how this is possible, but I do not see how it's practicable, especially with the Aronson stack. The culling method works decently well for a rigidly patterned stack, such as Si Stebbins (which is a tetradistic stack), but wouldn't Mnemonica, even minus the last straddle faro, present problems because the values are not even distributed? First off, it's in a stay-stack. I suppose you can "Chinese Shuffle" into a condition whereupon you would reverse 26 cards *in order* to get into the stay stack (i.e. Chinese Shuffle so the stack repeats itself twice: A, 4, 7, 4... red nine for the first 26, then A, 4, 7, 4... red nine for the second 26), but this would be considerably more challenging than a tetradistic stack because you have two (long) chains rather than four (relatively short) ones.

It's pretty easy to cull 26 black cards, or "hooks," or any four-of-a-kind, or odd cards, but it's pretty difficult to rapidly go through a deck and cull the Seven of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts, Jack of Spades, and Queen of Hearts.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1004 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Quote:
It's pretty easy to cull 26 black cards, or "hooks," or any four-of-a-kind, or odd cards, but it's pretty difficult to rapidly go through a deck and cull the Seven of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts, Jack of Spades, and Queen of Hearts.

Yes, but this is exactly how it needs to be done according to Hamman Smile

I wonder how it can be improved. We must wait for the book by Eric Mead.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
356 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, shakuni wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but this is exactly how it needs to be done according to Hamman Smile

I wonder how it can be improved. We must wait for the book by Eric Mead.

I think you misunderstood Cain. He is saying that applying the culling technique to an unordered sequence would be too troublesome. I agree somewhat. However culling an unordered stack has one advantage. The culls will never seem ordered.

Mead's book will not address the cull as far as I'm aware. It will however reveal Conover's stack, to which the culling is applicable.

As far as culling into a memdeck. If it's a skill one wants, it can be bought, with practice.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
356 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Let me clarify. Because the culls have no recognizable pattern with a random appearing memdeck, the stall points between culls will seem unordered.

With a stack like the traditional stebbins one is stuck dealing with four of a kinds then pairs before the cull is complete.
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
Darwin Ortiz At the Card Table book...get it
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1004 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@THECLAW More info please...
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2016, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, JBSmith1978 wrote:

I see how this is possible, but I do not see how it's practicable, especially with the Aronson stack. The culling method works decently well for a rigidly patterned stack, such as Si Stebbins (which is a tetradistic stack), but wouldn't Mnemonica, even minus the last straddle faro, present problems because the values are not even distributed? First off, it's in a stay-stack. I suppose you can "Chinese Shuffle" into a condition whereupon you would reverse 26 cards *in order* to get into the stay stack (i.e. Chinese Shuffle so the stack repeats itself twice: A, 4, 7, 4... red nine for the first 26, then A, 4, 7, 4... red nine for the second 26), but this would be considerably more challenging than a tetradistic stack because you have two (long) chains rather than four (relatively short) ones.

I think JB is referring to the stack 9S QH ... 4H AS, which is produced after the 26 card reversal.

I have one way of using a chinese shuffle to go into Mnemonica via this stack - but it isn't entirely a chinese shuffle process because stage 5 isn't a c*ll. It certainly isn't memory free, but it is probably the only (barely) practical way of doing it, other than just brute force with stack numbers.

I can PM anybody if they interested in my chinese(ish) shuffle to Mnemonica method. To be honest, it isn't hugely practical but if you are into this stuff you might find some use in it.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1175 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I apply the Bubble Sort algorithm while "toying" with the deck:

1.Compare each pair of adjacent elements from the beginning of an array and, if they are in reversed order, swap them.
2.If at least one swap has been done, repeat step 1.

At most I will have to run through the deck 2704 times.
Lakewood, Ohio
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, alecStephenson wrote:
I think JB is referring to the stack 9S QH ... 4H AS, which is produced after the 26 card reversal.

Oops, I meant 9C QD ... 4D AC
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, j100taylor wrote:

You must be one of those O(n!) people Smile
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1175 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, alecStephenson wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, j100taylor wrote:

You must be one of those O(n!) people Smile

I'm afraid so...
Lakewood, Ohio
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, shakuni wrote:
@THECLAW More info please...

Search THE Café for Si Stebbins Secret
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
700 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Anyone knows if chinese shuffle to NDO is published somewhere please ?
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
356 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
The Secrets of Brother John Hamman.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Chinese Shuffle To Memdeck Order (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL