The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The scryer project (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
^^^ What Roth, said !^^^
The 'Vault' also has a Killer cover ... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3864 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
When Michael Connelly puts out a new Harry Bosch novel, I don't need to think about it...or find out what it's about. It's Michael Connelly and I KNOW I'm going to like it. I buy it.

I think it's very much the same thing with Neal's work.

In the interests of being upfront: I spent over a week with Neal in NYC a while ago and he's a very close friend. Also in the interest of being upfront: I am not currently using any of the effects I've read about in any of his books. BUT his fingerprints and thinking on presentation are all over many of the ways I choose to perform mentalism. His THINKING is where the treasure is...for me, anyway.

The notion that you have to get specific routines out of any given book or DVD feels a little short-sighted to me. I learn from what the writer teaches me and the WAY he presents it. Seeking access to material from a broad cross section of different performers broadens what I'm capable of...and THAT makes me a better performer.

Why wouldn't an "entertainment" themed mentalist like me NOT want to know how the shut-eyes present their material? Why wouldn't I be keenly interested in how a bizarre performer does a seance or frames a story? I'm interested in all of it. And I'm always excited to see someone I respect presenting on a DVD, not only because I am a visual learner -- but also because so many of the nuances that make a performance great can't be conveyed by the written word.

Some performers forget that THEY are the product...the effects and routines they present are the sum total of their own creativity blended with all the other influences in which they've invested and really worked to understand and absorb. When you purchase a book or a DVD or an effect, you're really investing in the "product of YOU."

Is Scryer a good "investment" for everyone? Of course not. But I don't think everyone loves Harry Bosch novels...or Leonard Cohen music...or old Bogart movies the way I do either. Different strokes, guys.

So decide for yourself if it's worth an investment for YOU...and ignore all the "hype", cross talk and armchair speculation.

As for me? Here's a project where the material designed by a guy with a genius for simplicity is being presented by not one but TWO performers for whom I have the greatest respect. And it's all only a hundred bucks?

Where do I sign?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
When Michael Connelly puts out a new Harry Bosch novel, I don't need to think about it...or find out what it's about. It's Michael Connelly and I KNOW I'm going to like it. I buy it.

I think it's very much the same thing with Neal's work.

In the interests of being upfront: I spent over a week with Neal in NYC a while ago and he's a very close friend. Also in the interest of being upfront: I am not currently using any of the effects I've read about in any of his books. BUT his fingerprints and thinking on presentation are all over many of the ways I choose to perform mentalism. His THINKING is where the treasure is...for me, anyway.

The notion that you have to get specific routines out of any given book or DVD feels a little short-sighted to me. I learn from what the writer teaches me and the WAY he presents it. Seeking access to material from a broad cross section of different performers broadens what I'm capable of...and THAT makes me a better performer.

Why wouldn't an "entertainment" themed mentalist like me NOT want to know how the shut-eyes present their material? Why wouldn't I be keenly interested in how a bizarre performer does a seance or frames a story? I'm interested in all of it. And I'm always excited to see someone I respect presenting on a DVD, not only because I am a visual learner -- but also because so many of the nuances that make a performance great can't be conveyed by the written word.

Some performers forget that THEY are the product...the effects and routines they present are the sum total of their own creativity blended with all the other influences in which they've invested and really worked to understand and absorb. When you purchase a book or a DVD or an effect, you're really investing in the "product of YOU."

Is Scryer a good "investment" for everyone? Of course not. But I don't think everyone loves Harry Bosch novels...or Leonard Cohen music...or old Bogart movies the way I do either. Different strokes, guys.

So decide for yourself if it's worth an investment for YOU...and ignore all the "hype", cross talk and armchair speculation.

As for me? Here's a project where the material designed by a guy with a genius for simplicity is being presented by not one but TWO performers for whom I have the greatest respect. And it's all only a hundred bucks?

Where do I sign?

David

Exactly . . . Ditto! Thanks David for formulating your perspective so beautifully as it mirrors mine perfectly.

Additionally, I trust all will find what they seek from their investments in such projects and do find that which propels THEM into a better space as a performer and person.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
I'd love a review from anyone who has purchased it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I write and edit text.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I wish we had more DVDs showing effects done live on stage in front big and paying audience. One on one mentalism is nice but sometimes I feel we have to much of it this days and way way too little from the other.
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Hello everyone,

Very happy to announce that this is IN STOCK NOW! All preorders are being packed now. We will continue to offer FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for a limited time. Please check this link to watch the video and order your copy today

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28414

Cole
Hocus Pocus
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3727 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Just ordered. Looking forward to getting it.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
I took the plunge and bought this set purely on speculation. Very disappointed. I feel it is horribly overpriced.

I am typically a fan of Andrew Gerard, but I think he went a little overboard on this one. Aside from the shoddy film cuts that make it hard to track visually (During the interview section), and the silly reality show MTV feel they attempted to give it, it really seemed that Andrew and his friend (Can't remember his name) didn't have a game plan which led to them being all over the place when trying to discuss this material.

The AG routines were OK, but nothing that warrants the price tag of this set. As far as the Paul Romhany part of the project, well I will state right upfront that I have never been a fan. He states himself that he is not a mentalist, and whenever I see him try to perform mentalist routines, it always feels very awkward to me.

None of these routines, as presented, were anything to write home about IMHO. I am not slinging mud for the sake of slinging mud. I was hoping to find something of value in this, but I didn't. It literally feels like I put a 100 dollar bill into the shredder.

I would recommend you think carefully before purchasing this. But ones man's trash and all that ....
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
185 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Thank you! I got it Friday, feel the same, and thought "Maybe it's just me..."
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Best thing is don't buy Scryer stuff or any stuff at that .yes please don't buy anything , let them starve , as they will being the Café buys big time and is number one revenue .
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Stop spiking the Egg Nog Carlzen. Lol
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Don't know what that means, just agreeing with you. If it was not for the Café all creators would be out of business. I am saying good you are stepping up and saying these DVDs are bad .
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Carl, it wasn't a pot shot. I was just making a joke. Just a figure of speach. All is good. Smile
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Ok got it, thanks . So best stay away from these is your expert opinion .
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
I'm certainly not qualifying myself as an expert, lol but yes I found this project to be weak. I always try to fine at least one solid piece in any book, DVD etc, but this one has nothing for me. Doesn't mean someone else might think these are gold though. But I didn't like this at all.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm waiting on my copy to arrive, was there anything in particular you didn't like sbays? or just an overall feeling?

lack of teaching, didn't like the presentations? something else?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3376 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks for your honest review sbays it gives people a balanced opinion.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Honestly it was a combination of all of those things. I actually sat down a bit ago to try to watch it again with fresh eyes, and I just find it difficult sit through. And there was one camera edit in particularly that annoyed me greatly. There was no need for it. All of these effects are very basic, and I think they attempted to make them much more unsuccessfully. Just not my cup of tea.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
That's why I stick with the Tarbell course . What was that camera edit as I will watch it over a friends house.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
725 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Smile I'm getting this for Christmas... Thinking on not opening it now...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The scryer project (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL