The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The scryer project (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, CarlZen wrote:
You need to become a nuclear Phycisicist first to get it ,so guess you never will.

If that's a prerequisite for these DVDs, shouldn't that be in the dealer ads?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9825 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is it just me, or are (it seems) the magicians among us finding this good and impressive, yet the mentalists here are finding it less impressive and valuable? Just curious?

when I think of Scryer I think mentalism not magic.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Is it just me, or are (it seems) the magicians among us finding this good and impressive, yet the mentalists here are finding it less impressive and valuable? Just curious?

when I think of Scryer I think mentalism not magic.

Any Scryer material I've read seems more like psychic reading mixed with basic mentalism. There hasn't been much in the way of magic, apart from a presentation of the ashes on palm worthy of Derek Acorah.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
No Tim, martin seemed confused he does not get it ,so that's why I wrote that comment. You either get it or you don't , that's simple to understand .
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2866 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, ByronGrey wrote:
I just got word from a friend that a friend of his in North Korea thought the DVD was so good, he didn't want it released.

Now that's what I call an endorsement! Love your subtle sarcasm! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Heywood
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Heywood
Scryer

if you are lurking, thank you for understanding that mentalism is about Presentation, Presentation, Presentation.

H
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
In response to Martin's: "Any Scryer material I've read seems more like psychic reading mixed with basic mentalism."

Sorry, Guys, but that is kind of the way I have read it too. I have only read Black and White and Carnival (twice each), and I share Martin's general characterization of the material.

I have appreciated being introduced to a smorgasbord of the things that psychics apparently believe in, and to the experiences they want for people. And I appreciate the innovation within some of the basic mentalism material that obscures the method and enhances the effect; Scryer's "Paper Bag Psychometry" is a splendid example, and I can see myself performing that.

My sense is that Scryer books are very useful for Mentalists on the psychic side of the spectrum, but less so for those of us who are not on that side. I am still confused enough by the endorsements of several top non-psychic mentalists that I want to check it out more thoroughly that I ordered the DVD set. However, unless the DVD's liberate me from my apparent blindness, I do not plan to buy more of the Scryer books at the prices they list for.

Oh, if in fact anyone had not yet heard that mentalism is mainly about Presentation, that would also be a plus for the project.

George
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18804 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, the first two books did have the word psychic in them! so yeah, more old school psychic entertainment, and not a "psychological illusionist" model for sure...

apparently mine is shipping out tomorrow...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18804 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And I should add, one man's reading is another man's personality assessment...

for me, adding the "why" or the showing that you understand that person on some extra level, does add a very good extra oomph to the proceedings...not for absolutely everything, that would be overkill - but within a strong, solid context mixing mentalism in with reading/analysis elements is very good in my opinion...and I think more personable than being the great-i-am all the time...

and that's said as a person who is in neither camp, overtly...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
The media swarmed over my last blindfold drive... I ran over
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
I was just about to say that. The first two also read "Neal Scryer is the pseudonym of a successful New York mentalist and psychic." When these books came out, I immediately noticed an increase for "readings" and 'pendulum' work too. Exactly the kind of thing Martin doesn't care for. So I can understand his position on Scryer's material.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Hi Rod,

You're certainly right that I am no fan of psychic reading as a stand-alone practice, but I'm actually very fond of mixing some "reading' material in with mentalism effects. That's why I bought the books in the first place. I've just personally found most of the Scryer material I've read to be rather basic and clumsy, and I genuinely think some of the routining is dreadful in places.
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
The media swarmed over my last blindfold drive... I ran over
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Mixing some readings in, naturally... A man with your experience in the filed figured that blend out a long time ago. I wasn't implying otherwise to be clear. I would like to talk with you more openly but not here. I'll get in touch soon. Merry Christmas to you.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Martin ,seems you only are complaining about this Creator constantly .and no one else . You have complained like fifty times what's your motive . People make a point and they are finished you stay constantly here .
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Actually Martins has made 8 posts on this forum so far, mainly answering you Carl. Where as you've made 23 post so far, what's your point.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Well, I did not know the actuall amount of posts from Martin or myself but thanks for bringing it to my attention.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of takeachance
You're welcome. I admire your defence of talented artist Carl but a balanced discussion here only ensures the right people, who will benefit from these DVD's, purchase them. They will stand on their own merit, I have no doubt. Listening to the reasons the others did not care for them actually has prompted me to order them. So no need to be so defensive, not everyone is going to like everything. I'm sure after reading all post, that for me, I will definitely benefit. My personal opinion is $99 for collective thoughts from such professional people is a bargain. sbays, and Martin just have a different opinion and I'm good with that.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I agree with you chance, you make a fine point . Everyone has differnt tastes and that's perfectly normal and understood .But at times we all get carried away . All good a blessed and healthy new year to you and Martin as well as every one else on the forum .
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks mate, coming from you it's greatly appreciated as I know you are a genuine guy with great passion for the art. You've made my day, thanks.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
My pleasure wishing you the best in life . It's just so much hatred at times here ,maybe I am wrong but would love to see people happy here.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
725 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The scryer project (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL