The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mock hypnosis advice? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi all,
Can I please get some advice.

I am performing magic in a large variety show for a fundraiser. The show manager has asked me to be part of a skit, playing the part of a hypnotist - to apparantly hypnotise an ordinary cast member into becoming an alter ego as a singer. It will be known it is just playing along in the act, and not in fact real hypnosis,

Can you guys please suggest to me some ideas to appear as a hypnotist to induce this character? I should only have a minute or two, and it will be comedic.

Everyone will know it's just an act, and it's not the real thing. In essence, I want to look as close to a realistic hypnotist as possible to make for a quality act.
Thanks in advance!
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2014, scottds80 wrote:

Can you guys please suggest to me some ideas to appear as a hypnotist to induce this character? I should only have a minute or two, and it will be comedic.

Yes, you come on and say..."I used to be a magician, but I watched a DVD and am now a hypnotist."
You will have no idea how real and yet comedic it is at the same time.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Haha I really like this idea, nice one Mindpro.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
...or better yet...

Yes, you come on and say..."I used to be a magician, but I watched youtube and am now a hypnotist."
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Absolutely! This will be used. Thanks
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Just act really paranoid and bitter that anybody new (who hasn't been on the scene for 20-odd years) is either ruining the artform or stealing your ever-diminishing amount of work.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If the skit is meant to be comedic and everyone knows its fake hypnosis I suggest you don't try and appear genuine. Instead you create a parody of a hypnotist.

This will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0x-2ext80
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
In my area, people don't really know what hypnosis is and always think of a hypnotist as a guy swinging a pocket watch in front of their faces and saying "your eyes are getting heavy"... Maybe you could parody that stereotype.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The other thing to keep in mind is if you try and copy a real hypnotist as close as possible you might hypnotize the person on stage and this could create an embarrassing situation if you didn't know how to manage what might happen!

Watch the video I posted in my last post that is the best solution.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I have watched Tony le Mesmer and absolutely love the video, thanks Mindpro. I have got a lot from that.
A parody is definitely the way to go. I've got some great ideas now.

I would also love to one day have the wheel of death as in that video!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Parody is going to be perfect. Over the top if possible. Do the eyebrows and silly beard. Really go over the top it will be hilarious and fun.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mock hypnosis advice? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL