The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
P.B.

Once again, thanks....Ive had many animals and even rabbits before (short time). The rabbits ran around in the yard and got out. This time more control.

Some things to consider for sure....I know the breeder did feed 17 percent pellets and this is 16 percent and defintely different. I mixed it with some oatmeal and I think he has tried it a bit but the alfalfa was like a treat for him (only thing he ate). I figured no rabbit will starve with food around.

Still will consider getting another for the other side....if separated I guess it doesn't matter what sex....I would think with a doe, even separated with cage, he may get frustrated if not allowed to mate.

Wayne

Can't seem to settle on a production box....black rabbit and BA.....hate to spend the money the effect isn't what it should be.....mind set on a box however......

Are there any boxes that don't use the BA besides the tip over drawer?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I use 5 different rabbit productions

Rainbow house (used to be sold by Supreme magic)
the best rabbit production for kids shows in my opinion
plenty of room for the bunny no drops tips or movement the rabbit stays stationary.

Ribbons to rabbit (quality props) like a dove pan but with a large crystal box huge load chamber for bunny

pop up rabbit (Quality props) a fury monster (I replaced mine with a fury bunny) pops up and down (you never see) from a box but the box is always empty.. finaly the box falls to bits and bunny revealed

TV rabbit quality props Tv shown empty then rabbit appears inside

The last one is my own creation and is used in my road safety show so I am not going to give it away here

Phillip
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
The litter training takes some work, I'd say. Tell me, I just acquired 2 lop-eared dwarfs, they are about a year old, male and female. As far as right now, they don't like being held too much, and are not litter trained. Is it possible to teach them at this age? Yes, I know, it may be easier to buy new ones, but I like these. The female is beautiful and solid white, but she doesn't like being held at all, so the square circle is WAY out of the question. Any tips?

BTW, these are not my first rabbits, but my first couple rabbits, just liked being held, and Angora and a mini-rex.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Trickard,
if you start picking them up and holding them for 5 mins or so every couple of hours throught the day they will soon get used to it. holding them often will work , holding them for a long period once or twice a day will not
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That sounds good PB...great help....today I worked on the hutch with my 8 yr old daughter. She cant wait to get home from school to get me to pick up Bunny. I stepped on a dang nail and got cut with the wire on fence. Long day now at work......I continue to work with my dwarf and have the bunny box ordered. Also practicing placing him in a small box and closing it for a few minutes..

One thing is how to break him of relieving himself while in the enclosure. Is this an impossible task?

Thanks

Wayne
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
One thing is how to break him of relieving himself while in the enclosure. Is this an impossible task?

Hi,
do you mean releaving hiself oin the prop?

If so he is likely doing it now as he is slightly scared. does he circle around in the prop?
this is a sure sign of un-easyness after a while/practice he will settle

Bunnies only normaly pee about 1 or twice a day I have never had one pee in a prop (without speaking too loud) but I always place the rabbit production bejhind my table on a child bedwet blanket just incase (carpets in some of the homes I work are expensive)
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Basically today, he just doo dooed on me and my daughter..lots of pellets... Smile He did pee on her though...yes it is still early and he gets nervous.

I am trying your suggestion of taking him out of cage every few hours, 5 min minimum....also try to give it a treat afterwards.

There will be no room in the bunny box for him to circle, basically about the same size length and width of him....the cardboard practice box Ive been placing him in is smaller and he did relieve himself. Ive been putting him in there for about 10 or so minutes at a time....

Thanks for help during the break-in period Smile

Wayne

Aside from witholding food and water the day of the performance; is there any sedative that can be given to the rabbit? Perferably a natural one.

WC

Alright forget the sedative question, but how long can a rabbit go safely without food or water (hours of course)?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Strangley this very subject was covered in this months "rabbiting on" a british rabbit welfare mag
to quote " The rabbit has a very complex and sensitive gut and anything that disrupts it,s normal functioning and this is a six hour feeding cycle can result in problems"
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Always good advice Phillip. Smile I did hear they have a regular eating cycle.

Been having some problems with my 4 month old dwarf. Besides peeing on me, he has started digging and scratching when I place him on my lap. He also bites my pants or shirt material as he is doing this. He just started it today. I noticed he does it in his cage when he "rearranges" things. I did notice his food bowl was empty the first time today and then I fed him but he did it again. Its like he is looking for something, being edgy....I picked him up by the neck
and scold him when he does it.

Phillip.....Im wandering if it could be a place to pee? Seems it still does pee on my lap. Boy, this is trying.....just hoping he doesn't start biting skin.

Wayne

Got home from work, rounded him up, sat him on lap and here we go again....straight to washing machine Smile

Seems he likes my lap as his toilet....perhaps just hold him standing up and forget the lap....

Wet in SA
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Maybe he thinks he has the better of you .. he knows that when he pees you put him down. next time slap a table or something loud sounding with you hand look him strait in the eye then slap again. then keep him on your lap .. do not put him down .. he should start to get the point that you are boss and this behaviour will not mean he gets his own way
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hi,

Will do Phillip.....I am scolding him and keep him on my lap a bit longer but will try you suggestion to boot....whats a little rabbit pee anyways, I'll show him Smile

Wayne

RABBIT FREEDOM:

The breeder told me if I let my rabbit out to run around for exercise now and then, it could lead to spraying and/or other "wild" type of behaviour. SHe said to keep it in smaller quarters to allow it to become more tame. I like to let it out to run around on the drive, trims his nails also. Is this bad?

Comments anyone?

Thanks
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
There has been some good advice in this thread but none that really get to the root of the matter. So here goes.

I have been using a brown Netherland Drawf rabbit named "Penndragon" for about 2 years now. She works great and has never missed a cue. I use a fairly standard square circle for reasons I will state in just a moment. There are some character traits that you should become familiar with when it comes to rabbits.

1.) Grooming and care - Rabbits need a regular supply of water, food, and alfalfa or hay. They use it todigest. A grinding wheel also helps but some (like mine) choose not to use it. They hate to get and will slean themselves quite well, although a quick spritz from a spray gun to mist while training is a good tool. Rabbits have a natural tendency to nibble, burrow, and to pee when gettng used to new surroundings. This is a NATURAL thing for them to do and will get confused when you punish them for it. After awhile they will stop doing it once they get used to you and your handling. Rabbits can be litterbox trianed. Actually its very easy - just repition. Rabbits love the outdoors and should be taken out on mild weather days to run and jump, however you should put them on a leash. Rabbits work very well with a leash but do tend to tangle up the leash so watch for it. Treats should be given only once per day (and only 2 or 3 small ones) so as not to interfere with its digestive track.

Rabbits will shed once a year. Be ready for it in the Fall or Spring depending on breed. Also they can develop digestive track diseases, as they are very suseptible. You can prevent this by adding liquid vitamin to thier water supply. I fill up two gerbil type water containers and placed them on the cage so that the rabbit can get to them easily. I place a hanging container of food on the other side *the type that drops food into the bottom container when it empties. In the food container I place two treats. I fill a metal bowl with alfalfa and place it to one side.

2.) Behavior - Rabbit will dig out a place for thier new home if placed in a cage. They will stretch out and turn on one side while relaxing. They need time to get used to people and places. Place your rabbit on your shoulder every night while sitting on your chair while watching tv. Wear a T-Shirt that you don't mind getting wet. Until the rabbit gets used to you she will pee. After some time of this she will become comfortable with you. She might even crawl up you to your shoulder.

3.) Care - Use liquid vitamin in thier water supply as discussed earlier. Trim thier nails once a month. There is an easy way to do this, however it requires two people. Wrap the rabbit in a regular bath towel with its head at the top. The other person can pull the paws out at each end to clip them. The rabbit can't see whats going on and then wont care. Only cut a little bit off each nail. If you cut to far and cut the quick she will hate you forever. Rabbits can break a nail. This can happen if the rabbit digs outside to hard or tries to jump out of a thicket. Sometimes the breakage will produce blod. Do not worry, clean the blood with a damp cloth and place the rabbit in a clean cage. The nail will fall off and a new one will grow in its place. Sometimes a nail may grow in upside down. It won't hurt the rabbit.

4.) In The Act - I do allot of kids birthday parties. If I do two in one day the rabbit is still ok. I have a pet carrier and the rabbit rides with me in the front seat. In the carrier I have a bed of wood chips, a container of food, some alfalfa, and some treats. You can also attach a small water container top the slitin the carrier. When I arrive at a show I bring in the carrier and set it off to the side. I set up my show and the very last thing I do (about 5 minutes before showtime I take rabbit out of the carrier and I load her into the square circle. I have instructed the parent over the phone prior to coming that while I prepare the show they should have the kids in another room or outside until right before the show starts. The square Circle has at the bottom of the load chamber a small bed of wood chips and alfalfa. When the rabbit is placed in her feet are together and she is placed gingerly straight in so that her feet touch the bed of wood chips. She feels just like she is in her cage at home. I place a square lid on the square circle to prevent her from poking her head out. During that part of the show (I do a musical background routine that ends with the square circle) I take off the lid and do the routine. When she comes out I wrap my hands around her belly and oull her out. When she clears the tube I immediately support her bottm with my other hand.

Rabbits have two idiosyncrocies. First, if they think they will fall (nothing under thier legs) they will get skittish. Always support thier bottom. Second, due to thier line of vision they can see if someone is touching the top of thier heads bot not underneath thier mouths. Never touch them under thier chins or they will bite at you. It is a natural defense.

If treated right your rabbit will love you forever. You can even train it to give you little licks which I call "bunny kisses". Good luck to you.

S. Patrick
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks S. Patrick....I have a lot to go over:)

Was really starting to worry about the Peeing.....think its only been 2 weeks since Ive had the bunny......

Wayne
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Just an afterthought on performance.

I bring out the bunny as the last part of my musical routine which I do as the first part of my show as a warm up. I then introduce the bunny by name and tell the kids that if they help out during the show by listening to me, and volunteering with thier hands up, and sitting on thier buts until I call on them, I will let them pet "Penndragon" after the shpw. It never fails and it allows the bunny to take an encore.

S. Patrick
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Spatrick and everyone else,

Thanks for the excellent advise. I recently added "Bunny" and "Rabbit" to our family (myself, lovely wife and cat). So far things have been a lot of fun. We are working on litter training and they are starting to get the hang of it. I am planning on later adding them to the show. Right now we are still getting to know each other, and they are both young (4 months and 2 months). I really appreciate all the advise here. Thanks,

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Okay, got a show 3 July. It is outside under a pavilion and I have promised a hour show. There will be 20-30 kids mostly boys 9-10 yrs old.

My question is when to produce the rabbit (Mak's bunny box production)? If I do it early, I feel all the kids will ignore the rest of the show. If I do it late, there is a heat concern. No real place to store my rabbit. The pavilion is covered but no where else to go and I don't have a backdrop.

Any help appreciated.

Wayne
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
Sapolice do it in the middle of your show. if the bunny is hidden then heat will not be a factor. because of a dark place it is put. If it is in the muddle you still can keep their attention all the way thru the show.

Tom
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Tom....I think I will lean towards that time frame.

WC
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I thought this posting should be renewed since it is getting cold and the rabbits that live outside should be warm, with "hay" in their boxes.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good thinking Dennis. I recently 'winterized' my bunnies hutches and I know they are grateful. Also, make sure your rabbit's [or other pet(s)] water isn't frozen. I have to burst the ice from the water dishes often in the winter. Most of the time I give my pets some extra food also. Their appetites usually increase during the winter months. More calories for fuel to stay warm, I guess.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL