We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » $50 for penguin magic (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brannon
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
29 Posts

Profile of Brannon
I've got a $50 gift card to penguin magic... What should I get?

Any gimmicks or books/DVDs you would recommend? I've got a lot of books already. Most of the card classics (royal road, expert card sleights, etc...), coins (Tarbell, BoBo, etc...), mentalism (Banachek, Corinda) and some gimmicks that go along with those... Anything that looks good on the stage or on the streets. I'm really not looking for stuff like the zombie ball or things that only have one effect, but rather methods and concepts that a routine can be created around... But I'm open to anything! Suggest away Smile

Thanks,
Brannon
Sanderr
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
I don't know if you own a set of cups already, but you could buy a cheaper set of cups and work on a Cups and Balls routine.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Books Brannon, books!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1657 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I don't know how many basic props you have, but there are some great things you can get for your money.

A chop cup
A cup set like Sanderr suggested.
A simple TT and silk
An Invisible Deck
A Real Man's wallet is a good investment.
And of course Kabbalah is right about the books.

Sponge Balls or bunnies are always a hit with people too.

Let us know what you get! Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3405 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Books Brannon, books!

In total agreement.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Brannon
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
29 Posts

Profile of Brannon
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, Theodore Lawton wrote:
A chop cup
A cup set like Sanderr suggested.
A simple TT and silk
An Invisible Deck
A Real Man's wallet is a good investment.
And of course Kabbalah is right about the books.

I have a cups and balls set, and a chop cup (home made with ping pong balls and red solo cup! Works awesome at parties until people want to play BP with it lol). Invisible deck is a must have and I don't know why I haven't bought one yet so that's definitely going in the cart. Have several thumb tips and am a huge fan. Will look into a real mans wallet for sure! Any books in mind?

Great suggestions y'all, keep them coming!! Smile
Brannon
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
29 Posts

Profile of Brannon
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Books Brannon, books!

Titles Kabbalah, titles! Smile

Any good ones you can think of off the top of your head?
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Depends on what type of magic you want to do really. Practical Mental Effects -- Anneman for mentalism, Stars of Magic for a good mix of close-up material, Card Control -- Arthur Buckley for some neat card work, Strong Magic -- Darwin Ortiz for some more practical character development material, A Book in English -- Woody Aragon (I haven't read it, but have heard wonderful things about it) for some great card effects. Also, anything Joshua Jay puts out is worth its weight in gold. If you refine the direction you want to go a little more, I might be able to help more.

-J
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Close-up card magic by , Harry Lorayne. Roberto Giobbi's card college can help you. Dave Roth's expert coin magic. for coins.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I think books too, but without knowing what you do its difficult to make good recommendations.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Brannon,

Variations of this question get asked all the time here on the Café. Recently I went through my resources and asked the question, "what would I want my grand kids to have at the start of a magic career (work or hobbie)".

Here is my answer:

The Al Schneider Technique (DVD). Teaches Al's vanish, which is not difficult to master and incredibly effective.
R. Giobbi's Card College, vol 1&2. Teaches fundamentals of card magic. I don't do a lot of card work, but what I do is very effective and it all came from this series.
M. Ammar's The Complete Cups and Balls, 2 DVD set. I've found that learning C&B influenced every aspect of my magic.

If you already have those three, then I suggest you stick with names that are at the top of the instructional ladder. Ammar, Carney, Lorayne, Roth, are some of my favorites.

Hudson
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Where do we begin?" said Alice to the White Queen. "Why! At the beginning of course!" replied the White Queen! (that's a paraphrase, I don't remember the exact words.) ("Alice in Wonderland")

I checked your profile. You've been a "customer' in the Café since June 2013. Your avatar appears to be that of a teenager. Your profession is coach.

You have fifty bucks to spend, and it's "burning a hole in your pocket!" But,your OP, "tells" me that you are THINKING, and, asking intelligent questions! Good!

Kabbalah, and Stanyon (and, I) recommend BOOKS. In your OP, you list books like Bobo, Banachek, Corinda,Hugard, "most of the card classics", Tarbell. --All, well qualified authors (the "start" of the proverbial "six foot shelf"!) Have you READ them? Do you have ALL of the Tarbell Course? HAVE YOU READ THE ENTIRE COURSE???

Do you PERFORM? --casual? "parlor"? strolling? platform?, stage? You mention "streets" and "stage". Are those "goals", or do you have experience in those areas?

You don't mention what actual experience you have, whether your long range plan is to be a skilled amateur, or a part time,or full time professional, or, ????? A wise physician doesn't prescribe medication until he knows what the patient "needs".

You appear to have a good "cross section" of books on methods, techniques, and philosophy. If you've READ them, you have a good foundation. If your plan is to PERFORM, I would recommend that you buy and READ, "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber. Then perhaps "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. The Fitzkee trilogy would also expand your thinking.

You mention not wanting to acquire "one effect props". e.g. Zombi. I think that's wise. Generic props (rope, silks, cards, etc.)that can be used to perform a variety of tricks (not necessarily "catalog tricks") would provide the "tools" to "experiment" with as you progress.

If you purchase generic "accessories", don't get the "cheapest". If you're serious about magic, and are planning on a lifetime as a magician, buy quality materials. (I'm using generic props that I've USED for thousands of shows for fifty years, on the road.)

I've been a performing magician (part time pro. from 1945--1966 and full time pro. until I retired==finally!--in 2008.)

With a tin can and a few IKE dollars, a few silks, some rope and a 3" ring, and perhaps an egg bag, I can still make a good living! (Here comes the "but"): But, I had good mentors,as a teenager, and, I STUDIED the books (e.g.: Tarbell!)!

My PM "box" is always open.

The sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc--and soon to be certified as a qualified quacksalver.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
@dick

Always appreciate your opinion and answers.

Thanks 👍
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Jerde, from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (where it was 40 deg. F this AM!

Thanks for your kind words.

Best...

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
54 Posts

Profile of yair61
As mahucharn wrote, I recommend Strong Magic of Darwin Ortiz.
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hello Jerde, from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (where it was 40 deg. F this AM!

Best...

Dick

Great magic advice and a weather report as well. Excellent.
Smile
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Best...

Dick

Great magic advice and a weather report as well. This place is excellent!
Smile
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
Decoy and overstuft are great effects
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » $50 for penguin magic (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL