The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TED KARMILOVICH PENGUIN LIVE (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1004 Posts

Profile of rasp
Stayed up for the download, and so happy I did.......... nearly four thirty in the morning here and just finished watching it.

GREAT LECTURE!!!
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, Adam Paul wrote:
Would have been nice to know this earlier, Acar.

When there's issues in future, please don't leave your customers in the dark. Some of us in Europe have been waiting up to watch this - its now midnight. We'd have done things differently if we'd have known this.

This is not the first time this has happened and it doesn't help when all your team say is, it will be up today.

As someone said earlier on this thread, its the inconsistency that baffle us. Sometimes its ready just a few hours after the lecture, yet others its closer to 24 hours. Why the big difference?

What a cry baby! Smile Grow up Adam. deal with it man!!! Penguin is providing a great service. Sometimes there are glitches.

MM
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4183 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
There was a time when you had to travel across state lines for a lecture, I'd say we have it pretty good Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17948 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Only an idea, but if you trimmed each lecture into chapters (as the person moves from one item to the next) you would have separate chapters to watch, upload and it would be generally faster and quicker to upload, as well as letting us watch individual sections without having to skim through the entire thing...
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Only an idea, but if you trimmed each lecture into chapters (as the person moves from one item to the next) you would have separate chapters to watch, upload and it would be generally faster and quicker to upload, as well as letting us watch individual sections without having to skim through the entire thing...

This is a very good idea!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:

It's got my vote!
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:

No thanks. One file is much easier to deal with and download and keep track of and watch. And uploading ten 20 minute files compared to one 200 minute file isn't necessarily a time saver (unless you're splitting the upload between computers). Not only that but many of the lectures don't easily fall into a straightforward effect/explanation set-up, a lot of the time they're going back and forth, things are overlapping. A time-coded set-list, once the lecture is complete, would be a much better option for finding what you need as opposed to breaking things up into 20+ files.

The solution is, of course, for Penguin to smooth out any uploading issues on their end, but 9 times out of 10 it goes off without a hitch. But the problem is even more easily solved when we realize it's not a problem and people stop peeing their pants because they had to wait a little longer than usual for a magic lecture to upload. All the lectures state they'll be up "within 24 hours of the end of the lecture," which this one was. So, there's really no issue here.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1302 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I am not that much into mentalism, but I've got A LOT of use out of this lecture.
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
Quote:

Bad idea. That would cause more delays and such. Perhaps they could write out a list where each effect and explanation is and then each person could just scrub to that specific routine. I like the current format Prnguin does.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Ted did a great job, but it always amazes me that in a room full of entertainers how none of the audience when asking questions know how to use a microphone. This seems to be a flaw with nearly every Penguin lecture I've seen. You can never hear the audience's questions or answers while in a routine.

Get a mic there, and people - speak into the mic and project!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2973 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The lecture was, of course, fantastic. The Q and A section was easily worth the entrance fee. There were numerous tips and subtleties within it that will enhance any routine.

I was a big fan of Mr Karmilovich before. I'm an even bigger fan now.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17948 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, RobertMarsi wrote:
Quote:

Bad idea. That would cause more delays and such. Perhaps they could write out a list where each effect and explanation is and then each person could just scrub to that specific routine. I like the current format Prnguin does.

i'm sure Penguin are a progressive enough company to not have a single old laptop that they all share, and can only be used by one person...splitting the file down into chapters mean they upload quicker, multiple people can do them all at the same time...and if you wanted to burn them to a dvd, or indeed splice them all together into one clip - it would take you a couple of minutes to do...

anyway - sure they're not gonna listen to me, it was only an idea...

edit - I only suggested it, cos I tend to split the file up into sections once I've downloaded and make my own "best of" comps of the routines or discussions I want to focus on...
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2973 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I know I may be old fashioned, but I quite like not having everything handed to me on a plate. And I know that in the old days I'd search through a VHS for something and end up watching something else entirely- a routine or subtlety I may otherwise have forgotten about. That's something I'd be much less likely to do using neatly chopped up files.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17948 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The annoyance of someone who didn't reset the VHS counter as you fwd to your favourite bit and wondering where it is...
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Ted did a great job, but it always amazes me that in a room full of entertainers how none of the audience when asking questions know how to use a microphone. This seems to be a flaw with nearly every Penguin lecture I've seen. You can never hear the audience's questions or answers while in a routine.

Get a mic there, and people - speak into the mic and project!

I didn't get to watch this lecture but, I believe in the past some of the lecture hosts have simply repeated a question which is asked in the audience to ensure the question is heard by all (not just the attendees but, also the virtual attendees as well). This is something that either way should be easily resolved one way or another.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 11:55 am Adam - please don't take this as a shot at you as that is not my intention.

As someone who has worked in the "Service Industry" for over 15 years, often times we have to simply accept that we can't please everyone. In my place of employment, over the last year I have personally helped over 500 families get services that can literally be life altering yet, it is the 1 squeaky wheel that is noticed when they don't receive what is to their expectation vs. what you as a provider has promised.

One of the things I have come to live by is "no expectations, no let downs". Sure there are certain things that we can control but, there are many more that we can't.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1040 Posts

Profile of sbays
I think Penguin (Acar) are always good about listening to customer feedback. The couple of times I have had issues, and it has only been a couple, they have always addressed it right away without making me feel like the one who is wrong. Things happen. Mistakes happen. I can fully understand how and why a delay could occur due to technical difficulties such as getting this lecture online. And their team IS over in England prepping to bring us some serious heavy hitters as far as lectures go. Pretty exciting. As I said in an earlier post, I do wish they could find a way to expedite the process of getting these lectures online. But I am not a tech guy, so I do not know what they have to deal with on that end of things. But end of the day, if I have to wait 24 hours, or even 48 hours to get the lecture then so be it. I just wouldn't want to live in a world without Penguin lectures being a part of it. Smile

As far as Ted's lecture goes, Psychic Snaps alone is worth the ticket price. I have been using this with my own twist for quite a while. Frankly, I am surprised Ted let this one out of the bag, but we are all lucky that he did. I tweaked one aspect of it to make it even a bit more deceptive (In my mind anyway), but this is really great.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4077 Posts

Profile of videoman
I definitely vote for a time coded set list of each lecture. Even if that means waiting a bit longer for the download.
Murphy's At The Table lecture series provide these and they are great.
So c'mon Acar, can't just rest on your laurels, you have to continue to add improvements and innovations.
Seriously, I love Penguin lectures and have been a long time subscriber but there is always room for improvement.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Another highlight of this lecture was Ted talking about how he works with multiple agents. From what I've heard, he is one of the busiest full-time mentalists in the US. So his thoughts on this topic were something I really paid attention to.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
He only said one brief sentence about that, nothing really profound there. Isn't that all all of us work? I still have trouble dealing with the mic issue especially in a room full of performers. I just reviewed 5 lectures and the problem persisted in each of them.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1040 Posts

Profile of sbays
Back in the day, A-1 multimedia had a way of searching through their vhs tapes so you always knew which effect you were on. They always had a small translucent icon in the lower corner of the screen at all times which would tell you what you were watching. I believe they used card symbols, such as AH (Ace of Hearts) etc. It made scanning through the tape very easy. Obviously it would be MUCH better today with a time index and set list. I think it is a step in the right direction.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TED KARMILOVICH PENGUIN LIVE (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL