The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warren Buffet on mortgages (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
OH my GOD here we go again.

Yes you are right. Houses are a stupid thing to buy. I can't imagine why anyone buys one for any reason. They are a stupid investment, they require more money than they are worth and Warren Buffet says never borrow money. Not only that but if you have to live in it you must actually maintain the stupid thing. What moron wants to buy one? Also I can rent and save money and that is a better deal.

There guys I just saved us 12 pages of grief.

Lol...made me spit out my iced tea...

I tried. You saw me try.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I bought a house in the early 90's which I sold for a $400,000 profit 12 years later. Please let me know any other investment vehicle that would allow me to do that! Smile

Plus, interest rates are so cheep, I often use my home equity to pay for things I would normally put on a credit card. I pay a fraction of the interest I would pay on a credit card.

Home ownership was the best investment I ever made.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well if you guys are going to start using facts and proof exactly where do you think this will go?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Well, I am not big on mortgages. But to answer Warren Buffet's question as to why people are not lining up to get mortgage, at least speaking for me personally, it's because what happenned last time demonstrated that mortgage loans are risky and houses are not true investments.

It's not the mortgage loan that's risky, it's the borrower. They're not lining up, because they don't qualify. What happened before the mortgage loan crisis was that banks were making loans to people who didn't qualify in order to build up their portfolios and then sell them off. Buying a house and obtaining a mortgage loan has never been risky for those who meet the standards required to pay back the loan. Banks and individuals got greedy when mortgage loans were up for grabs just for the asking and it came back to bite them.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why cherry pick 5 years? I pick 5 years of the depression for stocks.

Not trying to cherry pick. Just suggesting that we may be in a period where personal real estate as a good investment is done. Unless you think there is going to be a substantial upswing in the next decade. It doesn't look that way to me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
My strategy is simple: to earn returns and compound my assets, not pay interest and compound my debt. The way to do that is to stay out of debt and save and invest money wisely. It works! Simplicity works.

Buying a $30,000 house in 1974, writing off the mortgage interest for 38 years, not having to pay rent for decades, then selling the same house for $525,000 thirty-eight years later worked pretty well for mom.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Planning to generate (positive) returns and compounding assets isn’t the same as actually generating returns and compounding assets.

I agree, a plan means nothing unless you take action. And you should never use planning as procrastination or an excuse for not taking action. So in addition to planning you need to take action on the plan. As far as my plan, it's simple. Fund of index fund investing. Here recently, the stock market has been down. So my plan from the outset was to invest every month from profit distributions of my company. Since the stock market has been down, the price per share of my fund of index funds has gone down, so I have been buying more shares more cheaply, each month. I am not making just one big investment, but a monthly investment.

I have no intentions of selling until my financial goal of retirement is met (or I might just simply invest in income producing instruments). But this approach is simple. When the stock market is up, I buy less shares because the price per share is up in that particular month. When the stock market is down, I am able to more easily buy more shares because the price per share is down and not as expensive. Keeping my investment costs down using index funds rather than the more expensive active funds and using monthly investments enables me to maximize my returns over the long term while minimizing my risk, all without ever going into debt and taking on the risk of debt. It's a plan that is simple and works when you take action on it. Any knucklehead can do it without being a genuis and make money over the long term because it's simple.

You could take this simple plan and apply it not only to pay for retirement, but to invest towards paying cash on a house, all without ever going into debt. Any knucklehead can do it without screwing up or using investments that are complicated and difficult to understand or taking on un-necessary risk or risks that are more complicated and difficult to understand.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Since its inception, including the depression, and all subsequent recessions and market crashes, the stock market has returned 11% per year.
Way way way better than real estate.

There's a difference between being a real estate investor per se, and buying a home which also happens to be an investment. If you're talking about investing money in houses (plural), that's one thing. But buying a house is a very different thing. First, in the USA, you get to write off the mortgage interest from your federal income tax. Second, you have to pay rent or mortgage anyway, so it's an investment that on a go forward basis (after the down payment), you can make cost-free, or close to it.

You can quote Buffett all you want, but he bought himself a house a long time ago, and he's never sold it to buy more stock.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Planning to generate (positive) returns and compounding assets isn’t the same as actually generating returns and compounding assets.

I agree, a plan means nothing unless you take action. And you should never use planning as procrastination or an excuse for not taking action. So in addition to planning you need to take action on the plan. As far as my plan, it's simple. Fund of index fund investing. Here recently, the stock market has been down. So my plan from the outset was to invest every month from profit distributions of my company. Since the stock market has been down, the price per share of my fund of index funds has gone down, so I have been buying more shares more cheaply, each month. I am not making just one big investment, but a monthly investment.

I have no intentions of selling until my financial goal of retirement is met (or I might just simply invest in income producing instruments). But this approach is simple. When the stock market is up, I buy less shares because the price per share is up in that particular month. When the stock market is down, I am able to more easily buy more shares because the price per share is down and not as expensive. Keeping my investment costs down using index funds rather than the more expensive active funds and using monthly investments enables me to maximize my returns over the long term while minimizing my risk, all without ever going into debt and taking on the risk of debt. It's a plan that is simple and works when you take action on it. Any knucklehead can do it without being a genuis and make money over the long term because it's simple.

You could take this simple plan and apply it not only to pay for retirement, but to invest towards paying cash on a house, all without ever going into debt. Any knucklehead can do it without screwing up or using investments that are complicated and difficult to understand or taking on un-necessary risk or risks that are more complicated and difficult to understand.

Buying a house is a regular monthly investment, too.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, a plan means nothing unless you take action. And you should never use planning as procrastination or an excuse for not taking action.

That wasn't my point.

My point was that you can put a good plan into action, then have it scuppered by situations beyond your control. There's no more guarantee that a good plan to invest in stocks and bonds will produce positive returns than there is that a good plan to invest in a house will produce positive returns.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you are right. Houses are a stupid thing to buy. I can't imagine why anyone buys one for any reason. They are a stupid investment, they require more money than they are worth and Warren Buffet says never borrow money. Not only that but if you have to live in it you must actually maintain the stupid thing. What moron wants to buy one? Also I can rent and save money and that is a better deal.

I tried. You saw me try.

And the effort was greatly appreciated. I'm just surprised. So many of the posters on this thread have gone thru the exam same exercise in futility not too long ago.

Some see buying a house as a good things. Others don't.

Now I've got marshmallows. Who knows the words to Kumbyeah?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Action means NOTHING if circumstances beyond your control take over.

Why is it General you apply the best case scenarios to your ideas and opinions, and the worst case scenario to anything else?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried. You saw me try.

And the effort was greatly appreciated. I'm just surprised. So many of the posters on this thread have gone thru the exam same exercise in futility not too long ago.

Some see buying a house as a good things. Others don't.

Now I've got marshmallows. Who knows the words to Kumbyeah?

Same dogs chasing the same cars LOL.

BUT where the general gets so frustrating is that he is DEMONSTRABLY wrong and yet still forges ahead. People think if they can just show him he might see the light. It is as if he is just right THERE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Why is it General you apply the best case scenarios to your ideas and opinions, and the worst case scenario to anything else?

To balance things out. The best case scenarios cannot happen all the time.

Silly question.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My ignorance knows no boundaries!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

The Dow just had it's biggest gain of the year today! Definately awesome news!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

So . . . 30 stocks did well.

What about the other 50,000 (or so)?

Are you sure that this isn't merely mad speculation?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Ohh I am sure it is, but while most everybody has been selling this past month or two, I have been taking a portion of my profit distributions and buying up shares in my fund for cheaper prices.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Ohh I am sure it is, but while most everybody has been selling this past month or two, I have been taking a portion of my profit distributions and buying up shares in my fund for cheaper prices.

If stock prices are going up, how are you buying them at cheaper prices?

And when this mad speculative bubble bursts, where will you be?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I was wondering of someone smarter was selling them cheaper right when the bottom was about to fall out? This is the nature of stocks right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warren Buffet on mortgages (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL