We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's your #1 best trick (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, Robbie_Sales wrote:
Mr Fantastic Plastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCBOzBavD_c

This is a kid TOY!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Robbie_Sales
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Sales
So its a good kid trick that people are fascinated by
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
The issue of toys is an interesting one. I know a full time working magician who bought a toy from a magic store since this would take him over the threshold for free delivery. I do not recall the details but the gist was this.

The toy is present in kid's magic sets, but he came up with a non standard routine that he uses in his professional set for adults - it works and because the presentation is different to the standard presentation even people who know the gimmick do not recognise the trick (a guy went "I know that one...hang on no I don't I thought it was something else").

A coin is not even a toy - but look at the magic that can be achieved with it. Similarly an excellent trick, professional level gimmick can be made unmagical in the hands of the wrong performer. Personally I rather liked the link.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
I actually find that simple coin vanishes and productions blow children's minds more than anything else I've ever shown/performed for them. I primarily got into magic to entertain the growing number of children in my family and as such children have been my main audience so far. I think it all depends on the age but for younger children there's certainly an attention-span issue that can get in the way of longer routines, there's also the comprehension of the effect itself to think about. I've literally been asked to repeat a coin vanish for over an hour (I varied the method of the vanish mostly to escape sheer boredom of repetition) and I think the kids would sit and watch me perform a retention vanish over and over again all day. My advice would be to use shiny or colourful props to catch their attention and then keep your effects snappy with little need to over-explain things. Simple vanishes, productions, transformations etc will all go down very well if you perform them well enough, just don't bore them with unnecessary waffling or extensive/confusing routines.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
943 Posts

Profile of Aus
Mr Tyler I have a feeling you’re asking the wrong question because just about anything can be a good trick for children depending on how you present it, and if it’s a number 1 trick for one person isn’t necessarily going to make it a number 1 trick for you. You don’t need to spend a fortune on kid’s effects unless flashy props to fill your stage is a major concern of yours. In my experience, appearance over substance isn’t something held that highly in the area of props with children, bits of business, fun and good magic is.

I picked up a hardcopy “Magic for Monsters by Arnold Furst” at a magic flee market at a convention once and he didn’t use anything exotic at all. Things he used was Cut and restored rope, card duck, coin tray with a bunch of coins, T&R ticket etc. If you’re interested you can pick up an ebook copy at “The Conjuring Arts Research Centre” for $4.99 which in my opinion is a bargain: http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/M......4XGeSy8A

Another magician you might like to look into is Mark Leveridge who is a British magician who packs his show in a 2liter ice-cream container, and he is a paid professional. You can find his book called “The Complete Magic Party” at library.com: http://www.lybrary.com/the-complete-magic-party-p-738.html

Now the reason I asked what other tricks you know (and I’m not just talking about kid focused ones here) is that just about anything can be recalibrated as a piece of children’s entertainment with a little thought. If you track down my “Presentation (A How-To Guide)” you will find a cards across regeared for children which I uses to illustrate a point in my guide.

Get yourself a magic wand and a ball and vase and you have a warm up routine that will have the kids screaming in no time.

Just think about it.

Magically

Aus
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
54 Posts

Profile of yair61
In close up it's stand-up monte by garrett thomas.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, Robbie_Sales wrote:
So its a good kid trick that people are fascinated by

I repeat! >>>It's a kid TOY.<<<

If you think "...it'a a good kid trick that people are fascinated by" [You are displaying your lack of grammar again--no period at end of sentence (?)] I suggest you make up one, and feature it in your "upcoming (?) high school show! Maybe you're a strong enough showman to fascinate the teenagers with it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well said Aus!

I knew Arnold. I have used one of his tricks for 40 years. (Arnold developed a fresh presenttion for the T&R LAUNDRY TICKET. He "invented" FRESH FISH SOLD HERE TODAY. I've used it thousands of times. I've had the papers printed ten thousand at a time.

Arnold and I shared the same philosophy: KEEP IT SIMPLE MAKE IT FUN.

PRESENTATION PRESENTATION PRESENTATIN PRESENTATION PRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you could see Jim Jayes perform for kids.
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
Dick O.
You're right I totally did scroll down too quick. Looks like I'm not alone in that perception.

I didn't see silly Billy's video.. And. Yikes. Sounds pretty shady. But the man's got some gems of wisdom for kid magic. Lots of tidbits in magic mag as well. So.I take what works and leave the rest. Ya know?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Frankie 5!

Yes!l I think that Mr.T got more than he expected from the guys who work! I sincerely hope he "listened" to the comments, and cuts that bit, before we have another tragedy. What bugged me as much as the balloon thing, was that he wanted me/us to help him develop an act that he could "do" and make money from. (OOPS, I just did a Charlie Miller! I used a preposition to end a sentence WITH!)

A few years ago, I charged a young fellow $500. for an afternoon's consultation. His "act" needed "work" (both bookings, and production). He was very happy to write a check at the end of the afternoon. I wont name him. (Business confidence) Over the years, I've helped others, too.

Re: Billy. No one is totally useless--He can always be used as a horrible example! An old farmer once said, "Even a blind pig will find an acorn occasionally."

You are wise to "sift carefully" and select "what works"!
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Dick, can I just say it's great to know that guys like yourself with so much experience even offer a mentoring service. Should magic ever become something I turn into a source of income (I'm acually a professional musician and artist - magic was supposed to be a "casual hobby" but wow if it isn't the most addicting thing I've ever done) I would happily pay for a consultation/advice/mentoring and it's great to know that's an option available to the aspiring magician. I wish there were more artists in performing arts who offered the same, I could've saved myself years of experimentation in both performance and playing if I'd had an "experienced eye/ear" to help me out along the way. Keep up the good work Smile
Mr. Tyler
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tyler
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, Aus wrote:
Mr. Tyler you probably have enough magic already and don't realize it, tell us what is in your act currently and what age bracket your aiming for.

Hello Aus I do have enough magic and my age range for shows varies from children ages 5 to teenagers as do my tricks. I'm quite proud of what I have in my act but I was just wanting to hear some opinions on what other magicians enjoy performing the most. The bulk of my shows are for children 5 to 12 but I have done shows for 15 to 16 year olds and I find that a lot of my tricks are equally effective with the older crowd but it is always nice to try something new or bring something back.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
943 Posts

Profile of Aus
Tricks I use are Milk from Elbow with comedy funnel, Milk Shake Monte, Cards Across, cut and restored rope and Misers Dream, that should give you some ideas.

Magically

Aus
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hello mates,

The ultimate classic trick of all: a simple coin vanish. Or animate objects.

Cheers

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
I like the 3d sponge rabbits from Gosh. Everyone loves when magic happens in their hands.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I have never perform for kids before . When that opportunity arise for me in the future , I would like to perform a cartoon deck, rope routine , or a very colorful and visual effect. ex) small coin to big coin , red silk to blue silk etc.
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
54 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
I have never performed for children either, but I think Silk to Egg might be a good one for them
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, RedHatMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
I only do coin and card magic myself. The ones that get the best reactions out of kids are the simplest tricks with hard-hitting visual impact: "Quick as a Wink" from the first Karl Fulves book on self-working card tricks, and "Automatic Pencil Writing" from Scarne on Card Tricks. I use a much different card force for "Automatic Pencil Writing" than the Scarne book recommends (I absolutely hate the one in the book), but it probably doesn't matter much - the visual impact hits hard.

I've found that you really do have to keep tricks simple with kids - no unnecessary deals because they lose interest quickly (the primary child spectator might not, but the kids around him / her sure do), and should you like spelling tricks (I can't stand them) you really need to keep it simple with kids. I once saw someone try that "The Magic of Manhatttan" trick with kids and it was a colossal failure.

Hi Roger,

Never really thought of doing kids shows (though that's where the work is) - kiddie props are not my thing so your comment about using cards and coins really caught my eye. What age groups are the kids and how big groups do you entertain?

Thank you for your help,

Danny

Danny,

First of all, I apologize for the late reply. School just started and I haven't had time to spend online. I'd certainly have answered you earlier if I had been online.

Age groups in my case cover the ages of my kids: 7-13, which means my "target audience" generally winds up being anywhere from 6-14, but usually the ages are more focused (for example, four kids 11-12 one time, three nine year-olds the next time, three or four kids in the 12-14 age group another time, etc - it depends on which of my kids has friends over at the time). Usually 2-3 at a time, but often six or seven. I don't feel comfortable with anything above eight because a.) I'm still far from being a master of slight of hand, and b.) the tricks I pick are the ones I believe hit hard visually and I want people basically seeing everything straight on, not from an angle. Nothing in my experience kills a card trick faster than a kid not having a great view, knowing something happened but having to establish what the effect was. If you have to work on even determing what I was trying to do, my trick is next to worthless for you.

Again, apologies.

Cheers,

Roger
regimbeaup
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of regimbeaup
Fabrice Delaure's MP 2
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
Overstuft by bizzaro is great because it uses an oreo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's your #1 best trick (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL