The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question re Instruction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Hi. This is my first post on the web site. Two quick apologies and then my question.

1. I figured this could go either in the "new to magic" section or here, so apologies if I guessed wrong in putting this here.

2. This may have been addressed before, perhaps even in multiple prior discussions, but I'm apparently not very good using the search function, so despite a good faith effort to look around, apologies if this is redundant.

Q. I'm trying to figure out the right way to get live mentalism instruction for my teenage kid, who is interested in the subject, from a practitioner. I know nothing about this stuff but I have the vague sense -- perhaps antiquated or just wrong -- that magic is an area traditionally and best learned through one-on-one, live instruction. (I have a probably romanticized image of the craft as an old-fashioned style guild handing down techniques via a mentorship-type system down the generations.) The kid has picked up a few of the very basics from having read Corinda and watched a bunch of Richard Osterlind tutorials, but I'm thinking that at this point it would probably make sense to think about real, in-person education from someone. But how does one figure out who is a reputable, competent practitioner who might be willing to be retained for lessons? (I'm in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.) Am I even right that this is a correct way to proceed?

Again, apologies if this posting is in any way inappropriate.

Thanks for your consideration, and best regards.

CT
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
CT:

Your kid has a very good initial orientation if he or she has read Corinda and worked through Osterlind's six DVD's that demo and reflect from Corinda. Since almost no one internalizes such lore from one exposure, you might restudy the Corinda/Osterlind material, and start trying some of it.

Regarding more personal and tutorial kinds of help, two suggestions come to mind.

1) The Denny and Lee Magic Studio, in the Baltimore area, is reasonably near to you--with a knowledgable staff, a range of contacts, and a significant inventory of books, DVD's, props and effects, and they will work with you on what your kid is ready for.

2. Google "Washington, DC magic club" and one or more websites should surface. The more knowledgeable people in the club(s) will know who to refer you to, and you and your kid would enjoy the monthly meetings.

If the two of you get the fever, attend the annual "Mindvention" held in Las Vegas each Fall. (Actually, one begins this Sunday!)

George Hunter
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
CT:

Your kid has a very good initial orientation if he or she has read Corinda and worked through Osterlind's six DVD's that demo and reflect from Corinda. Since almost no one internalizes such lore from one exposure, you might restudy the Corinda/Osterlind material, and start trying some of it.

Regarding more personal and tutorial kinds of help, two suggestions come to mind.

1) The Denny and Lee Magic Studio, in the Baltimore area, is reasonably near to you--with a knowledgable staff, a range of contacts, and a significant inventory of books, DVD's, props and effects, and they will work with you on what your kid is ready for.

2. Google "Washington, DC magic club" and one or more websites should surface. The more knowledgeable people in the club(s) will know who to refer you to, and you and your kid would enjoy the monthly meetings.

If the two of you get the fever, attend the annual "Mindvention" held in Las Vegas each Fall. (Actually, one begins this Sunday!)

George Hunter
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
The fact that he is reading Corinda and Osterlind is a good starting point, and also I think you may just be one of the coolest dads for doing this for him. Others may have a better answer but I would say find the local magic club in your area, it will be a great place for him to meet and talk to other magicians and mentalist, and I'm sure they would all love to help him out and give him some advice. Good luck with your search I hope others will have some good suggestions.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the help and encouragement. Obviously my kid is far from having learned most of the stuff from those materials, and part of the problem is that I'm in no position to help with figuring out the right way to present these moves, which can be hard from just watching videos and even more so just from the books. These suggestions are exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Neb
I think it depends on how your child learns best really!

Most magicians/mind readers teach themselves from books or these days dvd's and then just go out and try it on friends etc, before returning to the books and studying more and then going back out to test things again.

However I was a guitar teacher for a long time and I found that some people just didn't get any better if they weren't getting personal tuition.

It's the same with Personal fitness, some people can go to the gym 6 days a week and eat perfectly all on their own, whilst others won't lift a weight without being ordered to do so! Smile

It sounds like your offspring is pretty motivated on their own anyway! I wouldn't advise against finding tuition or mentoring in any way but I think the most important thing is for them to get out and perform what they have learned to as many real people as possible as this is how you truly learn how to do it!

I'm not sure what the others on here will think of this suggestion, but I would also recommend they learn some more traditional magic such as card magic as this can be a great way of getting used to performing in front of others and might be easier as a first time performer than some of the mentalism effects.

Good luck to them! Smile
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Neb, thanks. That's interesting to hear. Thanks very much for the guidance.

CT
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I hesitate to plug my own work, but the following is a LOT cheaper than what I charge for personal instruction and yet many have told me it's almost as good:

http://www.lybrary.com/fundamentals-p-562.html
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Just purchased and printed. Thanks so much for writing this and for flagging it for me. This looks like exactly the type of stuff that can be hard to get from the types of materials that presuppose a working knowledge of basic performance. Just glancing through, I have a hunch my daughter is going to be very happy tonight. And I'm sure that the comments you have received that you mention in your posting stem from the quality of your book rather than from the quality of your personal instruction. (Just kidding around.)

Thanks again.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I hope she finds it useful. She should also look into the 39 Steps at the end of the book. It will give her a good idea about where to go next.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question re Instruction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL