The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "The AUTUMN People"Gathering, My Review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
On 10/04/2014 I had the great pleasure of being one of the invited "pioneer" attendees of "The Autumn People" gathering in a Northern AZ woods/campground (hopefully now to become an annual event for those dedicated to, interested in, or performing in the realm of "story-telling", bizarre, occult-themed, and/or "spirit theater" magick). I thank Steve Peebles and Bobby Hasbun for the invitation and their generosity in everything they provided for comfort (snacks, non-alcoholic refreshment, note-taking pads, delivery of pizza and even skeeter spray).

I will try to be brief and somewhat cryptic, but I could go on for pages because this event far exceeded by expectations.
The comfortable facilities and campground setting near the lake and forrest were appropriate, especially once the sun went down and we were washed in the bright light of a 3/5 moon. We only had minimal info about what events were on the agenda, only told there would be a number of "activities and exercises".

In just the first group sessionI took copious notes from the valuable ideas, innovations and discussions of experiences. The creative among us realize that 2 + 2 = 5. All of the attendees participated in sessions of "show and tell", or performance of bizarre works in progress, activities exploring on the spot story-telling applied to a grab bag choice of gimmicks and/or props, and productive discussion sessions on a variety of topics (e.g. what natural and supernatural fears do avarage specfators have and what "spooky" type effects could we develop related to those fears? Steve and Bobby also pro ided gifts throughout the day of props, hand-outs, and instructional manuscripts (one alone a 62 page work that could easily garner $50 for the pdf in most opinions there). Some attendees received their first "Raven" award for various achievements.

The time flew by faster than I had anticipated and zipped from 11am to 10:30pm before we broke camp (not without a sentimental sort of group discussion around the fire pit as we roasted marshmallows). I truly look forward to next year's Fall event, with even greater numbers of attendees...you will be happy you did IMHO!
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Sounds like a Wonderful time was had by you AZ, Boyz ! Smile

AZ, has woods ? lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
There wasn't 9 of you by any chance was there?
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
It was fun to jest about what this gathering could have been...
but the reality sounds pretty darn cool.
Congrats on being one of the chosen! And thank you for sharing!
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Thanks for the review, Doc! It sounds like it was absolutely amazing, and something not to be missed if one is lucky enough to be invited!
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
Sounds like a Wonderful time was had by you AZ, Boyz ! Smile

AZ, has woods ? lol

You should visit; there are not only forrests in Prescott where we were, which is only about 2/3 of the way north (Az is a large area state, about the size of all of New England), but the town of Flagstaff which is further North and the town of Payson, in the northeast corner, at one point had quite logging industry. In Flagstaff you would think you are in northern Maine, huge tall forrests, and a "snow bowl" ski area that gets up to 20 feet oc SNOW in a "good winter"...! It's not all desert here as people think and actually has seven different geophysical zones!
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Thanks for the review, Doc! It sounds like it was absolutely amazing, and something not to be missed if one is lucky enough to be invited!

It was an unique and wonderful event for a close-knit cadre. I can't guarantee the plans that Steve and Bobby have for next year, but, after this successful initiation I am thinking that next year "invitations" will be much more open and many mord attendees will be accomodated.
Smile
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
@DocBenWiz, I have only been in the Phoenix & Tempe area of AZ.

But, I did have a 2ft Hot Dog at ' Alice Cooper'stown ' !

And, was at ' Hooters ' for a few meals ! lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Arizona also has some of the best trout fishing in the lower 48 for all you naysayers. And it has a wealth of bizarre/occult opportunities what with all the Apache, Navaho, and such history. Hoo-doos and haboobs and things that go bump in the desert night. Smile
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
What an honor sounds like a great time.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, Winks wrote:
Arizona also has some of the best trout fishing in the lower 48 for all you naysayers. And it has a wealth of bizarre/occult opportunities what with all the Apache, Navaho, and such history. Hoo-doos and haboobs and things that go bump in the desert night. Smile

Jackalopes too?
Bob
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Yes, along with the Bugbears, Wolpertingers, Bare-fronted hoodwinks, and snow snakes (but those only at higher altitudes). You guys are missing out. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "The AUTUMN People"Gathering, My Review (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL