The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammmar vs. scott berry topit (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
I have read all the topit posts, but still have several questions:
1)Is Ammars instructional video more complete than jay scott-berry's?

2)Jay's site sells pre made topits, with the video: are they significantly different in function than the Ammar pattern? Do they pin in, or have to be sewn?

3)If you only were to go with one product - which would you choose?

Thanks for all your help!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
1. Ammar's is much more complete.

2. They are sewn, the design is different with the JSB Topit. JSB has a feature so that it is impossible to overthrow the topit.

3. I don't use either, but I would probably go with the Ammar version. Even though the JSB has the additional feature, it makes the Jacket more cumbersome to take off and put on.
Click to visit:
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of wally
Which video / dvd shall I buy for ideas for a topit, I want to vanish compact discs. Ammars / j s berry . orcarl cloutiers video.please pm me. thanks
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have both topits and I only use jay scott berry's topit and I must say its a wonderful item.

That plus its much more difficult to drop an item or not pitch it correctly into the topit. The added feature insures that the topit top really sticks open well.

I highly reccomend it.

Steven
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of thegreatgeorgio
I also have tried both and I use the Jay Scott Berry topit.
It is much more consistent in accuracy when compared to the Ammar topit but I admit his video is lacking in detail.

thanks

George
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3902 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Is the JSB topit transferrable? If so, how would you compare it with the transferrable topit called, Andrew's topit, and to the transferrable topit sold by Lynette Welch at Fabric Manipulation?

Thank you very much.

Michael

Posted: Jun 10, 2005 3:09pm
Do you use or recommend one topit or both the right and left topits?
Have you ever used sleeve topits from JSB?
How difficult are the JSB topits to install?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
No it isn't transferrable.

Use both sides.

Yes. They are sleeve pockets however, not topits, and they will take much getting used to, but are a good holdout.

You have to sew I think 3 straight lines inside your jacket without puncturing the outside of your jacket(only inside lining)... if that is too much, you should get a seamstress to install.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3902 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Daegs,

Do you agree with Dan Watkin's comment stated above that the addded feature of the JSB topit makes the jacket more cumbersome to take on and off?

Would you recommend the JSB topit, even thoug it is not transferrable, over the Andrew's transferrable topit?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Jay Scott Berry's fiance can sew the topit in to your jacket. It roughly triples the cost of the topit kit you buy individually, but she does sew it in both sides, adds the hold-outs, and adds the pocket feature. I think for an additional ten pounds, she can sew it in a non-black colour. The price also includes the DVD and other bits that you owuld get with the standard kit

For a standard topit, I think the turn-around is about three and a half hours. I am seriously considering getting her to do it when she comes to the Coventry Magic Circle in a few months time.

Anyone got her to do the topit for them and can comment on how good/bad she is?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 16:15, wally wrote:
Which video / dvd shall I buy for ideas for a topit, I want to vanish compact discs. Ammars / j s berry . orcarl cloutiers video.please pm me. thanks

The Jay Scott Berry is best for vanishing CDs. His topit has a backstop as Bill Palmer mentions somewhere in this forum. I have Jay Scott Berry's topit. I have Michael Ammar's topit DVD. For security reasons I would stick with Jay Scott Berry's.
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 15:34, magicinsight wrote:

Do you agree with Dan Watkin's comment stated above that the addded feature of the JSB topit makes the jacket more cumbersome to take on and off?

Would you recommend the JSB topit, even thoug it is not transferrable, over the Andrew's transferrable topit?

I would agree Jay Scott Berry's is a little challenge to take off.

Jay Scott Berry's topits are for sell already put together. It just need to be taken to a seamtress (unless you can it yourself). He sells both sides seperately and together. That is the main purpose I chosen his.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
There is also the Ramon Galindo topit:

http://www.magicproshop.com/ramon39s-top......167.html

And the Chase Curtis topit:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl?sc=7&it=A&id=6520&category=

And also the Lynetta Welch installation of her version of the Ammar topit:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/Mercha......y_Code=C
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
I have got JSB topits. I got his wife Lois to sew them in for me along with all the extras. She matched the colour of the inside of my jacket (silver) perfectly and she did a fantastic job.
Ste
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I have the Ammar topit in most of my jackets. I had a local seamstress put these in. She went out and matched the lining of each jacket.
I do not like the extra feature with the Jay Scott Berry topit concept. If you do the move correctly it is not needed. You could not change jackets during a show unless it was backstage. Just my opinion.
I do not like the transferable topit. The material used is very loud duing the vanish and unless all jackets have the same color lining it may be noticed.
I have the Ammar DVD. Good stuff but the "look" is a bit dated as it is taken from the topit tapes. I also have Jay's DVD. Good stuff. I also have the Patrick Page tape. It is ok but Michael and Jay are so much better. I also have one of the Cloutier tapes. That one is just ok.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
I haven't seen it but I imagine the Bob Fitch course is excellent. That's high on my Christmas list!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 02:32, Steve Hook wrote:
There is also the Ramon Galindo topit:

http://www.magicproshop.com/ramon39s-top......167.html

And the Chase Curtis topit:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl?sc=7&it=A&id=6520&category=

And also the Lynetta Welch installation of her version of the Ammar topit:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/Mercha......y_Code=C

I never knew there were so many. Do any have an advantage over Michael Ammar's or Jay Scott Berry's topits?
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 16:54, Jim Stan Magic Man wrote:
I do not like the extra feature with the Jay Scott Berry topit concept. If you do the move correctly it is not needed.

Are CDs easy to work with when using Michael Ammar's topits?
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of taoist
Can someone say if the JSB topit has the same outer pocket retrievable feature that Ammar's has?
That is, you "topit it" then can retrieve that same item from the outside jacket pocket.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22867 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is an excellent question, taoist. No one has answered the question in 8 months. Wonder why?

Anyone know, I know I would?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
I believe Stephen Buxton actually answered this question (albeit slightly coded) in his post of June 17th 2005.

"Jay Scott Berry's fiance can sew the topit in to your jacket. It roughly triples the cost of the topit kit you buy individually, but she does sew it in both sides, adds the hold-outs, and adds the pocket feature. I think for an additional ten pounds, she can sew it in a non-black colour. The price also includes the DVD and other bits that you owuld get with the standard kit."

I believe the "pocket feature" he is referring to is the pass-through from the outer pocket to the inside of the topit.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I would think that any topit could have a retrieval feature since it has more to do with your coat than the topit itself. I mean honestly how hard is it to realize that if you cut a hole in your pocket you can reach inside the topit? And don't give me any exposure crap, my dog would have figured that out and chewed a hole in his pocket to have a "retrieval system..."
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
173 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I use the M. Ammar topit. It works good. I had the JSB-topit. For me is the big difference that MA topit easy load when you have dropped. It have à special pattern. I guess it works the Same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammmar vs. scott berry topit (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL