The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is there a new batch of Alan Wong sponge bananas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I've sent inquiries to Murphy's and to some shops, but thought that someone here might know.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=38470

There seems to be a lot of confusion because some time ago, several places had announced that Alan Wong would not be making any more bananas. Then it looked like he released some medium sized ones, which some places advertised as the full size ones. Even Murphy's had incorrect listings about the size, and I'm still not sure it's correct.

So, can anyone confirm that these are indeed the full-size sponge bananas that people have known and loved from Alan Wong? Did he make a new batch?
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Yes, there are new ones. They're terrible. For stage, it may not matter much. For everything else, they're worse. They don't look as real as the old ones. They're made from a much cheaper sponge material that looks like sponge. The cells are much larger, meaning people can see it's a sponge much closer.

It's frustrating that he changed materials (much cheaper) but didn't adjust the price. So not they look worse, but you pay the same!

His ice cream and carrots are the same way. They look less realistic, but I'm sure they're much, much cheaper for him to make.

Hopefully someone is going to release a better line of sponge items that look better.

Hope that helps,
Kevin
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Kevin,

Thanks!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
There are several other brands, each made differently, and some are made with latex. One or 2 kinds were slightly too big for me but looked really good. Randy Rain and Magic Latex make latex ones. I forgot the names of the other makers but someone will name them I'm sure. Oh, here's one: http://www.dangarrettmagic.com/magic-for-magicians-only.html
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I always liked Dan Garrett, but by having cartoon illustrations instead of photos it's impossible to have any idea of quality. It'd be nice to have feedback on quality in addition to links.
Jeremy Le Poidevin
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Le Poidevin
Dan Garrett told me in February at Blackpool that he's not making any more. If you find some of his available, I'd get them while you can. The Wong ones were always less compressible to my mind.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Garrett's don't look real either, though. They do use smaller celled sponge but they are in no way realistic. They suggest banana's but don't actually look like them.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Also look for Peachy Keene's sponge magic http://www.peacheykeene.com/food%20props%20cart.html David Ginn recommends those.

I like Dan Garrett's and have never used them so close to an audience that they see anything. They are designed for stage, not close-up.

And I like Alan Wong's original ice-creams. Never needed to replace mine (now seven years old).

Davud Bonsall (propdog) can organise carving of particular sponge fruit if needed. The sponge strawberries are brilliant.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The vinyl ones look best and they have a nice snap when they open. They were just a little big for me.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Anybody seen any smaller "baby" type bananas out there?
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2014, MoonRazor wrote:
Anybody seen any smaller "baby" type bananas out there?

Some places still have the Alan Wong Sponge Bananas Junior (one dealer on Amazon says that they have 3 sets left).

I've also seen places now advertising a multiplying bananas which is 2 large (approximately 8 inches according to an answer on Penguin) and 3 small (approximately 4 inches).
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Thanks Barts!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2014, MoonRazor wrote:
Thanks Barts!

Glad to help when I'm able. Someone on Penguin just replied to my question about quality and manufacturer of the Multiplying Bananas:

"I'm not exactly sure who the specific manufacturer is, but they're not bad quality! I'm not sure I'd compare them to Alan Wong, but they're very good. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is there a new batch of Alan Wong sponge bananas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL