The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » If you could start again ... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Hi folks,

Just a thought exercise.

If you could start your magic career over again, with the wisdom you have now, what advice would you give your younger self? What would you do differently; what would you buy and not buy; what would you do the same?
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hello,

I'd do the same, the only thing I would say to my younger me is that the effect or trick itself is not the whole lot.

Regards

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would have told my younger self to go pro earlier and not to buy the latest and greatest, just use what you already have.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quit buying so many tricks and work through the books I'm ignoring!

Ed
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
73 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
Buy that Lorayne Classic collection before it goes out of print! and stop wasting so much time on that ruddy Diagonal palm shift
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Finally - great advice!!! My The Classic Collection, Vol. 1 is out of print. Vol. 2 getting there. Just published Vol. 5. You got a "ways to go." HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
I would tell my younger self to start mastering magic in this order:

Coins (fundamentals of sleight of hand)
Props (apply fundamentals)
Cards (the hard stuff with a million possibilities)
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Honestly I think I'd just ignore any and all gimmicks, props or expensive DVD's that are beyond my skill level and spend all my time with a few coins, Bobo and Roth. Would cost me a hell of a lot more money that way and make me more focused. I think the main "issue" for me has always been an obsessive need to buy more stuff in everything I do, and magic is definitely no exception.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
It would take a lot to trade the life I have now. However if I did go back in time what would I do?

Id tell my self Imogene had the hots for me. I found this out far to late.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I would have bought magic posters.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I would have not change anything different . I see this whole learning experience as an adventure that made me the magician that I am today .
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
I would have started earlier. I'm sure the clip shift would be easier to learn with nimble fingers of youth. Now I'm fighting learning the nuances of techniques with carpal tunnel.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I would have learn spanish and collect all the possible recource on Tamariz, Ascanio, Gabi and Carrol

and bought all four of Apocalypse Volumes and Greater magic before they get out of print, and study only these for rest of my life
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Learn few necessary slights and master them because you can use them always . It is better than wasting your time in trying to learn fancy things which you will use only one time in your show.
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
Do the kind of magic I love and not be so concerned about doing the magic I think I should do or ought to do.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
That's a nice one, Magic Mason Smile
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I'd tell myself to read the same books I've read now, but at a much younger age. I believe I was 18 when I started to buy tricks from the local magic store. I didn't start to buy books until I was 30 (five years ago). Books made me so much better than MOST DVDs and tapes have.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
I would start the way this forum usually suggests: with the classic books. When first starting out, I would just buy whatever the cool new thing was in the market, instead of actually sitting down and learning the basics. I ended up learning a decent amount, but not the way I should have. I recently have decided to start anew in my learning of magic and work through all the books I've bought through the years. A lot of the cool new things are actually very impractical and not suited to everyday and professional work. I wish I could have told myself to start with the books and the basics.
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
30 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
I am really very new to magic... I meddled with the odd trick - like nails through a coin - when I was a student, and have returned to it with a more serious intent fifteen years later, and inspired really by my daughter's interest in the old props that I had stored in a drawer.
With the luxury of an income to spend on such things, and the time for quite a lot of reading, I have blended the approach that seems recommended here and elsewhere:
I have bought quite a few packet tricks, and 'latest' gizmos, for the quick fix, but at the same time have been working through major books on various aspects of magic to see what really suits me. So far I have read through the first three volumes of Card College (and am unashamed of the fact that in terms of practical ability I have a long way to go to put much of that material into practice), I am approaching the end of Corinda, with Anneman next on my reading list, and then propose to have a good look at Bobo. The eight volumes of Tarbell should see me through the winter!
Discovering this forum has been an enormous source of inspiration and advice!
Gill
View Profile
New user
leaning on
48 Posts

Profile of Gill
My advice to a ten year old me:
Don't buy the latest and greatest
Learn technique before trying to learn all 'cool tricks'. Give yourself time to learn the fundamental sleights and controls before you go on to impress someone with your newfound hobby.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » If you could start again ... (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL