The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Vampire Grave Unearthed (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Perkins
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of Perkins

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew......ria.html

A timely story to cite when discussing fears, superstition and a host of holiday topics.

I honestly think my favorite part is the fact that Professor Nikolai Ovcharov is known as 'Bulgaria's Indiana Jones'.

Also, question to vampire scholars: Why was the leg removed and buried alongside? I don't know that one.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Yep, another one.
Usually, the leg was removed to empeach the vampire to walk out of his/her grave. Nails could be placed in the feet too or even in the jaw, because vampires eat their shrouds and their neighbours...
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Excellent. I was sure that you would know, Curator. Thanks.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
Good find Perkins!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3298 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Seems like some assumption here but makes a great story. Another possibility is that this is the area in Bulgaria that drives a stake through the heart, not as a anti-vampire ritual but to assure you are dead when they bury you. In one of my books I tell the story, based upon research I had done, where a spike is placed in the lid to pierce the heart when the lid is closed because they had buried some people alive. With all the news today about people coming alive who were clinically dead, would be cheaper than the embalming we do for the same purpose.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator

Romanians firing the vampire after stabbing him in the heart.
You stab the heart because, the soul may stay there after death. Then you cut the head, shhot him, cut the leg... and eventually burn the body to ashes.
The ashes were either thrown in the river or mixed with bread and eaten by the surviving members of the family.
viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Delaware
539 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
Indeed, often the legs would both be removed and placed below the decapitated head crossed over. Hence the vampire origin of the Skull and Crossbones!
VINCE WILSON

Bizarrist, Hypnotist and Paranormalist

Profile and more: www.vincewilsonmagic.com
Effects for sale: www.shadowbizarre.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2872 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
At first glance (the arms and where he's looking), it almost looks like he's either stabbing himself or trying to remove the stake. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Vampire Grave Unearthed (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL