The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Need help from a techie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Anyone know how to ffiind the owner of an anonymous yahoo email? I was sent an email on a very serous school matter (cheating) with out a name and from an e-mail likely made up for the occaision. Any help is appreciated.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
You can try doing a google search on the address to see if anything pops up, but the quick answer is no. If they made up a yahoo email address and sent you an email, there is no way to trace it back to a person.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Can you open the full header of the email from your end? The IP of the sender MAY be accessible from there. In Outlook, you'll open the email and click File->Properties. You probably won't get anything interesting there, but you never know.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
You can try doing a google search on the address to see if anything pops up, but the quick answer is no. If they made up a yahoo email address and sent you an email, there is no way to trace it back to a person.

Seems hard to believe that Yahoo wouldn't have an IP address of the registering computer.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:
Anyone know how to ffiind the owner of an anonymous yahoo email? I was sent an email on a very serous school matter (cheating) with out a name and from an e-mail likely made up for the occaision. Any help is appreciated.

I am sure the powers that be with access to internet traffic data etc. could identify the owner, e.g. by matching IP access points, but not us.

However, you COULD try social engineering. For example, try sending an email in a week or two to the account in which you say that you never received a major homework assignment. And that you assigned them a zero grade as a result. Then wait and see if they reply with some identifying information.

Tailor the idea appropriately.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
While Yahoo might have a record of the IP address the email was registered from, that by itself won't give you anything. Number one, it only records the IP address where the email was created from. If it was created from a public computer, a work computer, or someone else's computer, that won't help. that is assuming you could get Yahoo to give you the IP address anyway, which is unlikely. And even if you have the IP address, very hard from there to determine the owner of the computer. For one thing, most people are on shared IP addresses, so the nearest you will be able to get to is the user's ISP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Need help from a techie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL