The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weapons of Mass Destruction (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Amazing how some of the right wing news outlets are purposely misstating what the New York Times article actually says.

How quickly some forget the facts regarding ACTUAL WMDs and not rusted remnants of old weaponry:

http://www.therightperspective.org/2010/......in-iraq/


It's also amazing how some people translate "No WMD were found in Iraq" to "No WMD were in Iraq."


Obviously, there is no question that at one point in time there were WMDs in Iraq. The problem is that NONE were found after we invaded-a fact that has been repeatedly acknowledged by members of the Bush administration and President Bush himself. In other words, our purported reason for invading and ignoring the request to allow more time for the UN mission to complete its investigation, was without merit. Finding remnants of useless weaponry from a decade before hardly constitutes a vindication of the claim that active WMDs were being stockpiled by Hussein.

But I suppose that as long as there is history, there will be those who seek to rewrite it.



"[O]ur purported reason for invading and ignoring the request to allow more time for the UN mission to complete its investigation was without merit" is not a restatement of "(No WMD) were found after we invaded" in other words.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

If he was "fully qualified," one wonders why Blix was making "at best lame" statements as late as 2003, the year we went to war in March.

Quote:
"of great significance, is that many proscribed weapons and items are not accounted for. To take an example, a document which Iraq provided suggested to us that some 1,000 tons of chemical agent were unaccounted for. One must not jump to the conclusion that they exist; however, that possibility is also not excluded."


-Hans Blix, 2003

That quote is from very early 2003, in the context of discussing 2002 inspections. He discusses this in an article he subsequently wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/18/opinion/iraq-war-hans-blix/

Hans Blix:

The Bush administration certainly wanted to go to war, and it advanced eradication of weapons of mass destruction as the main reason. As Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz has since explained, it was the only rationale that was acceptable to all parts of the U.S. administration.

The WMDs argument also carried weight with the public and with the U.S. Congress. Indeed, in the autumn of 2002 the threat seemed credible. While I never believed Saddam could have concealed a continued nuclear program, I too thought there could still be some biological and chemical weapons left from Iraq's war with Iran. If not, why had Iraq stopped U.N. inspections at many places around the country throughout the 1990s?

However, SUSPICIONS ARE ONE THING AND REALITY IS QUITE ANOTHER. U.N. inspectors were asked to search for, report and destroy real weapons. As we found no weapons and no evidence supporting the suspicions, we reported this. But U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfield dismissed our reports with one of his wittier retorts: "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

If he was "fully qualified," one wonders why Blix was making "at best lame" statements as late as 2003, the year we went to war in March.

Quote:
"of great significance, is that many proscribed weapons and items are not accounted for. To take an example, a document which Iraq provided suggested to us that some 1,000 tons of chemical agent were unaccounted for. One must not jump to the conclusion that they exist; however, that possibility is also not excluded."


-Hans Blix, 2003



That quote is from very early 2003,


As was the invasion of Iraq.


Quote:
Hans Blix:


I too thought there could still be some biological and chemical weapons left from Iraq's war with Iran. If not, why had Iraq stopped U.N. inspections at many places around the country throughout the 1990s?

So, we agree that Hans Blix DID in fact think that it was feasible that Iraq had WMD, and that it was a reasonable inference to draw from Hussein's failure to comp,y with the inspections.

Quote:
However, SUSPICIONS ARE ONE THING AND REALITY IS QUITE ANOTHER.

Suspicions may or may not match reality. When the person suspected of hiding the weapons is the one deciding which areas can be inspected, suspicions are what there is to go on.

Quote:
U.N. inspectors were asked to search for, report and destroy real weapons. As we found no weapons and no evidence supporting the suspicions, we reported this. But U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfield dismissed our reports with one of his wittier retorts: "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."


And as Blix goes on to point out, Rumsfield was correct.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Rumsfield's argument seems to be the same as Lobo's- Just because we didn't find any doesn't mean they didn't exist.

The same argument, though, can be use to support ANY allegation that is unsupported by evidence.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And if the cops get a warrant and search Tommy Chong's house six months later and don't find any pot, that proves it wasn't there when they started knocking?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Rumsfield's argument seems to be the same as Lobo's- Just because we didn't find any doesn't mean they didn't exist.

The same argument, though, can be use to support ANY allegation that is unsupported by evidence.


I agree that it's not proof that they existed. However, it's perfectly adequate at disproving the assertion that because they weren't found, they werent there.

Moreover, it's hindsight; total Monday morning quarterbacking. Hussein jerked the inspectors around ad nauseum. The decision to invade or not had to be made on incomplete information.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
And if the cops get a warrant and search six months later and don't find any pot, that proves it wasn't there when they started knocking?

Excellent analogy, insomuch as starting an unnecessary and destabilizing war in Iraq in which thousands of Americans died made about as much sense as would starting one over a failed search of Tommy Chong's house.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Now you're conflating two arguments: Whether it was reasonable to believe based on the available evidence that there were WMD in Iraq; and what it was or wasn't reasonable to do about it. I've only been arguing the first point. But I appreciate your lending the support of Hans Blix to my argument.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny how people confuse a mistake with a lie, yet when someone of their own political philosophy outright lies it is not a big deal. With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to "told ya so" the situation. But really the idea that in real time nobody should have believed the at least intentional posing of the guy is silly.

He wanted to be perceived as having weapons. It was a game he was playing.

Can we stop acting like we took off an innocent leader who was sitting and hurting nobody? Mass graves and rape rooms really are a pretty good reason. I don't think we need to the the worlds policeman and think it was IN RETROSPECT a mistake to go in but consider the climate change/health care arguments always made by those who favor such things. What if he DID have weapons? What would the cost of doing nothing have been?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Amazing how some of the right wing news outlets are purposely misstating what the New York Times article actually says.

How quickly some forget the facts regarding ACTUAL WMDs and not rusted remnants of old weaponry:

http://www.therightperspective.org/2010/......in-iraq/


It's also amazing how some people translate "No WMD were found in Iraq" to "No WMD were in Iraq."

I agree, we should always cause mass destruction and misery for generations because we're not sure whether a country has WMDs. Next stop Palau.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
And if the cops get a warrant and search Tommy Chong's house six months later and don't find any pot, that proves it wasn't there when they started knocking?

If the cops find nothing they should start bombing immediately.

Edit: Ah, I see Balducci has already made the same argument, but less sarcastically.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
And when the astronauts landed on the moon an didn't find aliens, that proves they weren't there before our spacecraft arrived?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Funny how people confuse a mistake with a lie, yet when someone of their own political philosophy outright lies it is not a big deal. With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to "told ya so" the situation. But really the idea that in real time nobody should have believed the at least intentional posing of the guy is silly.

He wanted to be perceived as having weapons. It was a game he was playing.

Can we stop acting like we took off an innocent leader who was sitting and hurting nobody? Mass graves and rape rooms really are a pretty good reason. I don't think we need to the the worlds policeman and think it was IN RETROSPECT a mistake to go in but consider the climate change/health care arguments always made by those who favor such things. What if he DID have weapons? What would the cost of doing nothing have been?

Well I'm not going to address the hypocrisy issue, but I will try to stick to this one. That is, "it was a mistake." As in, "We really tried hard to find out the truth but we came up short, sorry guys."

I strongly disagree. There was repeated deliberate lying. From the yellowcake uranium accusations to the "imminent threat" declarations given to the public and Congress. They were deliberate lies, and we know they were deliberate because they redacted their own CIA assessments that showed otherwise. The two reasons given to go to war in 2003 were 1) Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and 2) He was an imminent threat to the security of this country. They lied about both reasons. I feel it's really important to call them out on this and not give vague apologies that no one could have known. They knew and they lied.

As to Saddam Hussein's being an innocent leader, there is no question that he was a brutal dictator to those who opposed him and to his enemies. But women had far more rights under Hussein than they have now; they were doctors and lawyers and at all the universities. He ran a secular government that didn't tolerate any Sunni and Shi'a fighting. Muslims and Christians were for the most part free to pursue their religions. The literacy was high and the economy, pre-sanctions, was probably the most vibrant in the Arab world.

As for rape rooms etc., here is a post Saddam account:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-dark-an....../5313974

Not much has changed there.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
And when the astronauts landed on the moon an didn't find aliens, that proves they weren't there before our spacecraft arrived?


That would almost be a good analogy if you knew for certain that 1) at one time there WERE aliens on the moon, and 2) the moon was trying to create new aliens.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
I said they were deliberately lying about the WMD program they supposedly found there. There's lots of documentation about the yellow cake affair. I'm sure you can find it. What the Bush admin's state of mind was re the existence of WMDs cannot be ascertained for sure because they lied so much about everything, but a reasonable person would take the following into account: They knew that the WMDs that Rumsfeld had given to Saddam in the 80s had been dismantled (though they didn't get back the cowboy boots that Rumsfeld had gifted to Saddam). They knew that Saddam had not used WMDs in the Gulf War under Bush Sr; they knew that Blix had found nothing; they knew that if Blix and the inspectors had remained in Iraq there was no way a nuclear weapons program could have continued even if there was one--too much movement around the country needed; the plan to invade Iraq came way before 2003; they knew there were no ties between Al-Qaeda and Saddam as per the CIA's advice; they knew Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11. It beggars belief that they could not find one reliable witness in all of Iraq to testify to the existence of WMDs.

It was an unspeakable war crime, and we are paying the price for it right now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weapons of Mass Destruction (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL