The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question for Bob, mastermindreader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I often see or read reference to a jury being polled after the foreperson reads the verdict. Suppose in the polling one of the jurors recants and gives a different verdict. What happens? Just curious. Has it ever happened?

Also wondered what if a juror had second feelings at that moment what can they do if the jury is not asked to be polled?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Mistrial.

You don't need a lawyer to answer this one, Aces.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://johndimotto.blogspot.ca/2010/10/j......-in.html

Bench and Bar Experiences
A blog to record and convey the daily experiences of a Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge.

The trial court should carefully and delicately question a juror who during polling creates some doubt as to his/her vote to see if there is, in fact, doubt. If there is doubt, the court has three options:

1) Direct jury to retire to jury room and resume deliberations.
2) Declare a mistrial.
3) Carefully interrogate the juror about ambiguous or ambivalent assent.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just saw this thread. Sorry for the delay as I was in Las Vegas for the past several days.

But Balducci's answer pretty well sums it up. I actually had this happen with a few juries over the years. One time it was resolved when the judge questioned the juror and it was found that he actually DID agree with the verdict, but just for different reasons than the others. On the other occasions the jury was just sent back for further deliberations. And there were one or two mistrials declared as well.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Just saw this thread. Sorry for the delay as I was in Las Vegas for the past several days.

But Balducci's answer pretty well sums it up. I actually had this happen with a few juries over the years. One time it was resolved when the judge questioned the juror and it was found that he actually DID agree with the verdict, but just for different reasons than the others. On the other occasions the jury was just sent back for further deliberations. And there were one or two mistrials declared as well.

Thanks Bob,

The answers makes sense to me all except the part of a possible declaration of a mistrial. I cannot fathom why a mistrial could be deemed the solution. Would that be only after questioning the juror or does the judge have the authority to declare a mistrial just because of a juror not agreeing with the verdict read by the foreperson? This is nothing but curiosity on my part about our jury system. Thanks for bearing with me for what may seem like dumb questions. Again just curious.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Before ruling a mistrial, the judge will usually order the jury to deliberate further to see if they can come to an agreement. If, however, the jury comes back and is hopelessly deadlocked, there is no alternative but to declare a mistrial if the law requires a unanimous verdict.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bob, if a goat walks into the courtroom and eats the paperwork, do they declare a mistrial$$$. <-- those are lawyer question marks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I would hope so. Especially if I paid good money to rent the goat.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

OMG Bob...you would do that? Smile Kidding.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Nice one, Centurian!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question for Bob, mastermindreader (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL