The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Rock Album Ever (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
And I really don't know if I agree or disagree. My opinion is that they are nearly impossible to compare musically because they are so different.
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Blood, Sweat and Tears 3 and Bill Chase's Chase, but then I always loved trumpets.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think that the question, "What is the greatest rock album ever?" is quite different from "What is your favorite rock album?" The former, I think, requires that some objective standard be applied and that specific reasons be given, while the latter simply asks for an opinion. My favorite rock album, for example is 1980's "Cosmo's Factory" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. But I think the greatest rock album was Sergeant Pepper for the reasons I've already given.

But, then again, the preceding paragraph is just my opinion. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I think that the question, "What is the greatest rock album ever?" is quite different from "What is your favorite rock album?" The former, I think, requires that some objective standard be applied and that specific reasons be given, while the latter simply asks for an opinion. My favorite rock album, for example is 1980's "Cosmo's Factory" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. But I think the greatest rock album was Sergeant Pepper for the reasons I've already given.

But, then again, the preceding paragraph is just my opinion. Smile

I, too, am a big fan of Cosmo's Factory in particular, and CCR in general.

I believe that it's impossible to establish the greatest rock album ever unless all rock albums can be compared musically; that shouldn't be the only criterion, but I submit that it is an essential criterion.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think that even if they could be compared musically, any conclusion as to which was the "greatest" would still be entirely subjective. That's why my criteria for selecting Sergeant Pepper really doesn't include any value judgement about the music, but is based primarily on its influence over the albums and rock music that followed. I don't believe that any other album had the same overall impact on the genre.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I think that the question, "What is the greatest rock album ever?" is quite different from "What is your favorite rock album?"

Yes, I agree with this. I have lots of favorite albums that I like more than Tommy which I mentioned above. But...these favorite albums don't fit into the two criteria I mentioned. They instead may have one or two weak songs, or don't hang together as an album. Of course it's still all totally subjective, but it's a fun discussion nevertheless.
And no Led Zeppelin yet?

I think we're looking for the album where you can sit back and say...Ah a masterpiece!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, arthur stead wrote:
An oldie that changed my way of thinking way back when was Deep Purple In Rock.

Not Peter Frampton Live? Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, landmark wrote:

And no Led Zeppelin yet?

Led Zeppelin 2.

No Klaatu?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
I think that the question, "What is the greatest rock album ever?" is quite different from "What is your favorite rock album?"

Yes, I agree with this. I have lots of favorite albums that I like more than Tommy which I mentioned above. But...these favorite albums don't fit into the two criteria I mentioned. They instead may have one or two weak songs, or don't hang together as an album. Of course it's still all totally subjective, but it's a fun discussion nevertheless.
And no Led Zeppelin yet?

I think we're looking for the album where you can sit back and say...Ah a masterpiece!

I guess I should be embarrassed for being the cliche, but if we're talking Zeppelin, I have to go with 4. The greatest song in the history of rock & roll along with Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Battle of Evermore, Going to California... Some outstanding songs and some real depth and variety.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Very masculine suggestions so far. Unless I've missed something, the only female performers mentioned so far are in Fleetwood Mac. Another couple of interesting demographic notes, but I'll leave them for someone else to raise.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
We're just a bunch of racist, sexist pigs. Homophobic, too. I mean, Queen is on the list, but where is Judas Priest? Where is Elton John?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
We're just a bunch of racist, sexist pigs. Homophobic, too. I mean, Queen is on the list, but where is Judas Priest? Where is Elton John?

LOL.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Very masculine suggestions so far. Unless I've missed something, the only female performers mentioned so far are in Fleetwood Mac. Another couple of interesting demographic notes, but I'll leave them for someone else to raise.

Again, the question isn't about "favorite" albums, but about THE "greatest" album.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Again, the question isn't about "favorite" albums, but about THE "greatest" album.

I admire most of the albums that are named. I'm just wondering aloud what our judgments of greatness say about us, our upbringings, our culture...

Wonder if anyone picked an album that was released after their 30th birthday.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I admire most of the albums that are named. I'm just wondering aloud what our judgments of greatness say about us, our upbringings, our culture...

Ask me again when I get there.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, arthur stead wrote:
An oldie that changed my way of thinking way back when was Deep Purple In Rock.

Not Peter Frampton Live? Smile

Landmark, when I was studying jazz composition and film scoring at Berklee College of Music in the mid-70's, I had a small little black and white TV. One night on The Midnight Special I saw Peter Frampton doing one of his "softer" hits, and didn't really like his music. I remember thinking to myself, "Just another pretty boy." Who knew that years later I would be joining his band and touring all over the world? But then I was always a "road warrior" at heart: you play, I play! Peter does play a mean guitar, but I wouldn't rank his music anywhere near a lot of other rock bands. Def Leppard, for example, released a couple of my all-time favorite rock albums. So did AC/DC and Foreigner. (All produced, by the way, by my good friend Mutt Lange).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps our judgments say more about greatness itself (in this area) than our upbringings. What would it say about our upbringing if we answered the question "Who is the greatest chess player ever?" and the votes were almost all for white men?

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps our judgments say more about greatness itself (in this area) than our upbringings. What would it say about our upbringing if we answered the question "Who is the greatest chess player ever?" and the votes were almost all for white men?

Hardly the same question; rock and roll has never been an exclusively male or white domain. I recently read an interview with Bent Larsen and Bobby Fischer. They were asked to name the greatest chess player of all time. Fischer named Morphy and Larsen named Nimzowitsch. It could be a coincidence that Fischer named an American and Larsen named a (naturalized) Dane. Could be.

It's a real eye-opener to compare my wife's ipod to mine. Many many more female artists on hers.

And speaking of nationalism, does Neil Young's Harvest count as a rock album?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nor has chess been an "exclusively male or white domain," at least not in the last 100 or so years. Sultan Khan and Vera Menchik come to mind.

But let's do basketball players, if you'd rather. I don't think Larry Bird is going to have too much company among white nominees.

To put it more generally, we know that greatness within certain areas that can be reasonably objectively measured is not distributed equally among races or sexes. It seems odd to assume (implicitly) that it must be equally distributed in areas that can't be so easily measured, and thus that perceived differences must be "about" the observer and not the observed.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Nor has chess been an "exclusively male or white domain," at least not in the last 100 or so years. Sultan Khan and Vera Menchik come to mind.

But let's do basketball players, if you'd rather. I don't think Larry Bird is going to have too much company among white nominees.

To put it more generally, we know that greatness within certain areas that can be reasonably objectively measured is not distributed equally among races or sexes. It seems odd to assume (implicitly) that it must be equally distributed in areas that can't be so easily measured, and thus that perceived differences must be "about" the observer and not the observed.

I mainly agree with your final paragraph. However in the case of great rock n roll, the discussion tends toward autobiography: what did I admire greatly in my formative years, and still admire today?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Rock Album Ever (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL