The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Rock Album Ever (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
No it is a sub gene of rock just like death metal is a sub genre of metal. Metal has a ton of subgenre just like rock. There is also power metal, thrash metal, black metal, classic metal, etc.

Yep. And they're ALL sub-genres of rock.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Ok. There are no genres. It's all music.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's another perfect album of its genre:

The Billy Joel Piano Man album.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
Is there an official listing of this? If not we can argue forever. I'm not going to further argue for that reason.

It depends what you mean by an official listing. There are certainly written sources (such as The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music and Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture, and there are testimonial sources, such as the aforementioned "Godfather of Speed Metal," Lemmy Kilmister, but it's not like you're going to accept that sources that disagree with your position.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I guess the Rock and Roll Hall of fame got it all wrong when they inducted Metallica and other metal groups. Better let them know.

http://rockhall.com/blog/tag/heavy-metal/?flavour=mobile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Question for Ray Tupper, who has voted for "The Who Sell Out."

Do you think that "Rael" on that album is/was a prelude to "Tommy?" I think it might be considered as indicating what happened to Captain Walker prior to the events of "Tommy." Also, parts of the instrumental sections of "Rael" bear a striking resemblance to parts of the "Underture" (I think) from "Tommy."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Duke Ellington didn't believe in categorizing music. He said, "There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2014, 0pus wrote:
Question for Ray Tupper, who has voted for "The Who Sell Out."

Do you think that "Rael" on that album is/was a prelude to "Tommy?" I think it might be considered as indicating what happened to Captain Walker prior to the events of "Tommy." Also, parts of the instrumental sections of "Rael" bear a striking resemblance to parts of the "Underture" (I think) from "Tommy."

I'll be quite honest and say that's never crossed my mind. I'll have to listen to them in succession.
I must admit also, that when I was younger, I misheard the lyrics to Rael 1, 2, and sang them completely differently for years.
(Is that the beauty of vinyl, or the innocence of a young boy?)
The wretches and their minions, will always tip their bowlers...etc. at the time it sounded just like the original;
The redchins in their millions, will overspill their borders...etc.
I've never quite figured out the song. Who are the redchins? Or where or what Rael is? Though it does mention a captain, he is being instructed by the orator, and he never went back. Then again, he did think he was crazy.
Having read Townsends' autobiography (which is a belting read BTW!) I can't recall any mentions of this in regards to the Tommy film/album.
I must say though, it's nice to see somebody appreciate a body of work as immense as these two pieces, though they are just small fragments of a larger segment of classic musical history.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Going back to the original post, I had to check twice. No one mentioned "Dark Side of the Moon"- Pink Floyd.
With over 50 million records sold , it is one of the best selling albums of all time and certainly had a big musical influence on me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2014, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Going back to the original post, I had to check twice. No one mentioned "Dark Side of the Moon"- Pink Floyd.
With over 50 million records sold , it is one of the best selling albums of all time and certainly had a big musical influence on me.

Hard to argue with an album that was on the charts every week for more than ten years, but it's not in my top-3 Floyd albums. Which is, more than anything else, a tribute to PF, since it truly is a great album.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6010 Posts

Profile of motown
Seger's "Live" Bullet
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
If you're talking live albums, it would hard to top the excitement, atmosphere, and collective musicianship on Jefferson Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head."
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
What about TOOL?

ĆNIMA is the best prog/metal/rock album ever
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If the best prog metal album isn't The Warning or Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche, it's got to be one of the first six Fates Warning albums.

Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Forgot about The Joshua Tree, great f#*!in album
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In modern times The Joshua Tree really places high.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
By landmark' criteria, The Joshua Tree is definitely a contender. I do find it amusing that most of my musician friends don't see the appeal.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea U2 is one of those groups people like to be snobbish about. Talking about that is when they sold out and blah blah blah. Joshua Tree holds up. No matter what anyone says
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think The Joshua Tree is fairly considered their best album top to bottom, but I also think their best songs were on War.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoyed the Wide Awake in America EP.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Rock Album Ever (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL