The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Curse You, Bob Cassidy... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
When I was cutting my mentalism teeth everyone kept telling me about Cassidy's 4DT. After examining it, I concluded that it was a masterpiece. But I was already doing Mental Epic and 4DT was a little close to ME so I continued sniffing around. I came upon Name and Place hidden away in one of his books and had one of those wonderful YES!!! moments when I realized that a relatively simple method had been combined with a kick them to the curb true "killer" effect with THREE powerful revelations. It was a perfect match for me.

So, very quietly, I started performing it. I didn't say anything to anyone...I just started doing it as a close-up piece and, when it was ready, I put it into my show.

Since it is my nature to play around with these things, I tried different methods (imp, CT etc) only to come back time and again to the way it was designed by Bob. I tried different kinds of subjects...favourite movies, music etc...but nothing played as well as what Cassidy had written. The long and short of it is that N&P is one of the few routines in my show that gets performed exactly as written.

Why?

It is simply perfect. Perfect.

It has been a mainstay in my show for years. It is powerful and beatitful. It is elegant and foolproof. It is a masterwork of nuance. It is infinitely adaptable.

Now it's a Penguin download for twenty bucks??? I'd happily pay ten times that. More.

Geez, Bob. Did you have to release THIS ONE???

So I thought I would take a look at the download and you've actually improved it with a nip here and a wee refinement there. You've made it perfect...umm...er. Perfecter. For twenty bucks.

It is eight minutes of my show using a couple of bits of paper, two pencils and a lighter. Absolutely one of your best effects. For $20.

Oops. Did I say that? Not what I meant to say at all.

I was watching this download and I have to say: it's horrible. The quality is...umm...awful and no one will understand it. The fact that you chose to deliver the instructions in Swahili makes it even more difficult to follow. So no one should buy it. Twenty bucks is, after all, a lot of money.

No one should get this.

Honest.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ha! Even though I know how it is done, I have got the download, just to see all of Bob's nuances. It has the elegance of great magic.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Shhhhhh!
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Very nicely put, David.

I use Uncle Bob's Name & Place video to make two points on performing here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. Very disappointed that I didn't make Mindvention. I enjoyed your coverage of the event. Am already registered for next year. God willing, I'll meet up with you then.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Much better value than the Penguin thing:

A Journey Through the 4th Dimension - "A complete history of what Bob believes to be the greatest effect in mentalism, including all the variations and methods developed over the years." $35 pdf download at lybrary.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Correct, fella. Everyone should buy that one. No question.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Is this it???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-rwZdqckA

Simply KILLED!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Classic
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
It's a real masterpiece, so it's way more worth than 20 bucks.

Regards

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
That clip was very entertaining.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
You certainly put it in perspective, David.

I too wish I'd been able to make it to Mindvention. Turns out I got married that weekend instead.

I think I made the right choice. Mind you, I'm only a week in. Smile
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
Correct, fella. Everyone should buy that one. No question.

David

Uh-oh ... according to post #1, that really means "Nobody should buy that one." Never Mind!!!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, robvh wrote:
You certainly put it in perspective, David.

I too wish I'd been able to make it to Mindvention. Turns out I got married that weekend instead.

I think I made the right choice. Mind you, I'm only a week in. Smile

You should have opted to get married AT Mindvention! I'm sure you could find a minister in vegas.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Classic

Absolutely! The man is a living legend! Ya might wanna check out his books! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Curse You, Bob Cassidy... (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL