The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question regarding repertoire (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Hi all,

I was recently evaluating the tricks/effects/routines I've learned or worked out to see whether I could feasibly perform a full act or not and a thought popped into my head. I was wondering what people's opinions are regarding whether it is better to perform or use tricks and routines published by other magicians, to adapt those routines to be more "personal" to you as a performer or to attempt to create your own? I personally have a mixture of effects I do which are exactly as published and those that I've "adapted" to better suit me as the main body of my repertoire with a couple of routines I worked out myself. Also, do you think that effects may lose impact for an audience if they've seen it performed exactly the same way in the past, or is this really a negligible concern?

Thanks in advance to any who answer,

Rob
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I learn a routine,then adapt the patter and moves to suit myself and those I'm performing to.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Make it yours for sure! But You Don't have to come up with you own stuff to be good! I always Compare it to Singing/Song Writing A lot of great Singers Never Wrote a Song in there life! But That does Not mien there not great Singers! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
David, that's a fantastic analogy, I'd never actually thought of it that way. As a career musician you've actually given me a whole new perspective when I look at material - thinking about effects in terms of "faithful renditions" and "unique cover versions" really helps me out so thanks for that Smile . In fact this has even given me more direction when practising/deciding what material to use, in the same way that I would re-arrange a song I wanted to play in my show if it was of a totally different style and play a more faithful version of a song that is closer to my own material I can approach magic with an eye to using more adaptation of effects that are very different from the ones I find natural and so on and so forth. It always amazes me how sometimes a quick statement can completely change the way you look at things!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea Make it yours for sure! But You Don't have to come up with you own stuff to be good! I always Compare it to Singing/Song Writing A lot of great Singers Never Wrote a Song in there life! But That does Not mien there not great Singers! Smile

Yep! That indeed is about the size of it. Smile Likewise there are a lot of great song writers that aren't great singers and or never sang a hit song. Now when you get someone who is all of the above, sorta like a Carol King, well then you got yourself a horse of a different color, maybe even a Master. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hay Thinks Rob,

And MB Yea There some People out there That do both Great! In singing And Magic! And the Same in Song Writing!But Agen It's ok to do just that!

And Some times It Takes A long time To Find out What you are Best at! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
They are great thinkers that are speaking to you and definitely take their advice with more than a grain of salt, but by the

Onward to my music theory, think of it likes this.

The material that is released by Magicians are the greatest hits, and you can be the "cover band". You are just playing the hits with your own style and flare, by being yourself, but being more of yourself, or if you do so choose by creating a character. Either way works. Magicians release their material for you to perform, don't feel cautious in adding in another magician's material into your act.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I am not a creator. I perform the work of masters, like a violinist would perform the works of Beethoven and Mozart.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea Blindside You are right! When I put My stuff out there I an vary Happy To see Outer People Use It! Smile

Marlo Wanted Outer people To use his Stuff That's one Reason He Put it Out! I some times even Put Out stuff That does not Fit me! Because I think Someone Mite be able to use it! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
I am not a creator. I perform the work of masters, like a violinist would perform the works of Beethoven and Mozart.

In the orchestra they have musical directors and a conductor. in the playwright's theater the actors have the benefit of a production team including direction, design, lighting...

Our work is taken on merit as entertainment but also requires much regard for establishing relevance and effective deception. Some of that deception requires an element of surprise.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Comparisons between different art forms are not exact. That being said, a musician, such as a violinist or pianist, can play a work by Beethoven or Mozart without the need for musical directors or conductors. Only large productions require such.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea we have to do that as magicians Most of the time! Mostly We don't Have Directors Or anything! We have to do it all our self's !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Pop Haydn has a terrific essay on this subject in his Chicago Surprise book.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks for the reference to the Haydn book. Can you give a brief summary of his take on the subject?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
Thanks for the reference to the Haydn book. Can you give a brief summary of his take on the subject?

Pop republished his essay here at the Café: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=117

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Thanks man!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:

Pop republished his essay here at the Café: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=117

Jim

Read this long ago from Pop, everyone should read it, and still today it is just as well said. It's the kinda stuff that helps keep the old-heads here off your back while you're out walking the walk as a newbie. I'm sure other supposed experts and big boys have a different view (probably because they need to be original) Smile but these words of wisdom are the ones I continue to hear and remember best as to this.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
I learn a routine,then adapt the patter and moves to suit myself and those I'm performing to.

This exactly my same approach. By copying a routine and then changing it to my personal preference I am able to experience all important pointers/aspects and apply my own creativity.
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Thanks for all the responses all. I must say that I feel I have a little more direction now when looking at new routines to learn/adapt and feel a lot more "comfortable" adapting the routines I already know to better fit myself as a performer. I do feel I have to point out as a career musician/songwriter/performer that the assumption that musicians have producers and directors to do the work for them is a very weak one - that rarely applies in "contemporary" music unless you're a "smash hits" chart type musician with a choreographer. I've been earning a living from music both contemporary and Jazz for over 15 years and I've NEVER had a director, I "produce" (and engineer) my own records, I write my own songs and I spent most of my childhood practising religiously over 8 hours a day (often as much as 14.) Just so those people know, musicians are more likely to have to "do it all themselves" than have a team of people do it for them, just like magicians...
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
There are more reasons not to change a well-written routine than there are to change it:

"Magic is the only art form in which beginners are encouraged to paint over masterpieces..." ~ Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question regarding repertoire (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL