The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm on the Train!!!! And David Thiel is the conductor.
Honestly, I've read very few books from cover to cover in one sitting, but this is the exception!

Insightful and inspiring, low key yet exciting, uncommon common sense plus facts and experience only a few might have.

The ebook arrived today and I had read it before lunch. That's a grand slam for someone like me.
After almost 40 years of singing/dancing/performing on stage and 10 years of studying Mentalism it's time for me to take the plunge ...... And this is just the diving board I've needed.
If you are in a position like myself, I can't imaging a better book. It lays out a marketing plan and a whole lot more. I like David's comparison of performing Magic/Mentalism and achieving success with a business plan. There is a lot here (But not too much) ... I'll be reading it again!
I'll be happy to resurrect this thread in a few months... Hide and watch Smile ... This is great stuff. Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Your enthusiasm makes it sound really good - is it still available?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It just came out.

So, yes.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
You may find Mr. Thiel's new book here:

http://www.magicpendulums.com/the-market......ist.html

Best,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I wouldn't be blowin' sunshine up you drainpipe..... I heard they were talking about this at Mindvention. Had to check it out.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Just read the ad. I'm excited, as I know David is a real time worker, out there on the hustle and grind.

I also know he focuses mainly on corporate work (I think I know that). My question is, is this geared toward corporate work?

Matthew
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes and no. It's more inspiring to get you to jump in and do the daily work it takes to actually "Make It" in the professional world. I'm adapting one of the principles today ..... I'm on it. I'll apply another tomorrow. I certainly won't be on the Café as much as I've been in the past, which will be a relief to many, and help me focus on my REAL GOAL!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I liked your post Slim, not because you won't be here as much, but that I also can prioritize my time better.

Thanks for the review.

Harris
who has played his harp/harmonica on 18th & Vine(in Kansas City) to The Ellen Show.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thanks, Dave for the post. I really appreciate it...and thanks Scott for posting the link.

Matthew: The book isn't geared to the performers who just want to sell to private events (family reunions, weddings etc.) And you're right: most of what I do is sold to the corporate market and fairs and exhibitions. But I tried to make the book work for everyone who:

* Is trying to transition their career from "Magician" to "Mentalist"
* OR is considering going full or part-time with their show
* OR is trying to figure out how to go about selling their show for the first time
* OR sell themselves as mentalists more efficiently

There are some basic sales strategies that would apply to anyone selling themselves as entertainers in the book, because there will be some people buying it who know performing -- but don't know the BUSINESS. I explain, for example, how to build a client list, what marketing materials you need, how to keep track of the clients once you have them, how to set goals for your business -- how to stay motivated.

More specifically -- I've geared the book more toward the process of selling mentalism because this is what I really wrestled with when I went from full time magic to full time mentalism. They are two completely different products and they need to be sold in two completely different ways. For me it was very difficult to "un-think" marketing myself as a magician -- and flip the mental switches to allow me to market myself as a mentalist WITHOUT losing 20 years worth of solid magic clients.

I'm not saying that what's in the book won't be controversial to some...and I'm sorry about that. Starting a fight really isn't my intent. But I've read a lot of "pie in the sky" books where the people writing them go on and on, spouting advice on things they don't actually do themselves -- but sound good when they are written down. Those books don't show respect for the reader, because what's in them isn't true. There's nothing in this book that I don't do every day in building my business.

There are concrete examples of the contracts I use and why they are structured that way. I show you what components go into a database and how to use one. I share what I've learned about websites and marketing materials -- and that's all in the book because it's all stuff I use.

I go step by step through the process of pitching your act to THE client (or committee) -- who can provide an especially lucrative show, or a series of shows. I give specifics (what to say and what to do) on how I've structured my face to face meetings for maximum impact so that the client WILL remember me, have a clear understanding of what mentalism is and ultimately book me.

Once you know how, marketing yourself as an entertainer isn't difficult -- but it is hard work. The Marketing Minded Mentalist is simply designed to make that process easier by raising some ideas for your consideration.

Think of it as a REALLY long post here on the Café.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Let me chime in here as well. I saw David's lecture in marketing at Mindvention and, as a former marketer myself, immediately recognized the legitimacy and value if his approach. Grounded firmly in established marketing and sales principles and adapted to mystery performance, I knew this material was valuable and useable. I bought the book and am thoroughly pleased with it.
John
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Ok, you got me. I just ordred it Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Congrats on the release of your book. Those of us following David's journey, as well as his writings/postings here surely know you are in for a treat.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
From the little I know of David, besides being one of the nicest chaps you are likely to meet... he knows his stuff when it comes to marketing in the entertainment biz.

I will also be picking this up.

Well done David Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Well ... I did my two hours of work this morning ... And I feel great!!!!!!
Time for lunch.
Looking for a nice little open mic tonight to try out a new routine.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
It just came in! I quickly browsed through it and so far, it looks like what I need: not an essay but closer to a step-by-step "how to" guide. Good Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Well...just got back from the grocery store and have all the groceries put up. Feels great!!!!!

Guess I'll do a little work and then have supper.

I've got several television shows from last week I'm going to watch tonight.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Well ... I did my two hours of work this morning ... And I feel great!!!!!!
Time for lunch.
Looking for a nice little open mic tonight to try out a new routine.

Not to tip anything here Randwill..
But David advocates working a few hours before lunch and performing new routines whenever possible.. and that's how I'm BECOMING The Marketing Minded Mentalist. Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I figured it this way: the amount of time I WANT to do marketing (sales calls etc.) is no more than a couple of hours a day. But I HAVE to market and sell what I do -- otherwise I'm just talking to myself. When you know what you're supposed to be doing on any given day (your database) and you know what you're going to say and who you're going to call the time gets used very efficiently.

You'd be amazed at how much you can get done in just a couple of hours in the morning. My ideal time is 9-11. I can catch potential clients before they get irritated with the world and are still relatively open to hearing from someone they don't know. My family and friends know not to bug me during this time unless someone's on fire.

But this period is also a time for work with NO distractions (the latest cool thing from ParaLa*s or Bob's newest book etc) -- just putting my head down and contacting clients. I do the same two hours every possible day...Monday to Friday...even when I'm on the road.

The whole idea is to maintain a routine (much as I hate routines) so that sales and marketing are always moving forward.

Since I set goals for how many new contacts I'm going to make in any given month, I also know when I'm done and get get on with the fun stuff of being a mentalist...like reading Bob's latest book or playing with the new ParaL*bs prop. Or doing shows.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
Wow, this sounds good!

I love marketing!!
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3093 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Im reading the book right now, is FULL of very good information, I think that this book will help performers a LOT to be more "marketing minded".
David you did really a GREAT job my friend!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL