The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
So I made a test form last night, and managed to sort some test entries by follow up date! It wasn't pretty, but it worked! I think my next one will be for real.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help: it's very generous of you.

Will
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Glad to hear it, Will. Pretty doesn't matter. "Working" matters. Smile

In Access I've found the best date format to be the two digit year, followed by the month, followed by the day. Today would be 15-01-27. It makes for a fast bulletproof entry.

Play around with your template extensively before committing to it. Changing the format of data can be very risky once you've started using it. In all honesty. You are probably better off creating a whole new field than messing with existing formats.

Use drop down menus when you can for things you input all the time. This makes entry much faster (you only have to type the first letter or two) but more importantly, you eliminate the problem of input errors. You want the data to be free of errors so you can use it in the Queries. (who buys close up...who books in February, etc.) If the data is even slightly different. Access can't find it. If Access can't find it, you can't use it. The freedom to Query ANYTHING is where I find Access really shines.

Office is out now for the iPad. This makes it much easier...and as soon as I can figure out if it's possible to synch from my PC to myiPad (or not) it may just turn out to be perfect. Right now I just copy each revised DB to Dropbox and open it in my IPad.

So pleased to hear this is working for you, Will.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
233 Posts

Profile of Darby
Here's my 2 cents on Access.
Access is a Relational Database. What does that mean? It relates multiple tables for a very powerful capability. A typical example is a merchant. One table would have a record for each customer (name, address, phone number, email, etc.). A 2nd table would have all your products and services (name, inventory quantity, price, etc.). And then a 3rd table is used for your Sales, which has unique information, but also relates a customer to products/services during a specific sale (customer record number, products/services record numbers, date of sale, discount, salesman, etc.).

At the very big risk of oversimplifying things, a general rule is that if you don't design a true relational database to meet your needs, but just need a "flat file" (i.e., a single table with the categories like David discusses), the Access will do the job, but will likely be far more complex than necessary.

Check out the "database functions" of spreadsheets, like Excel, to do the job. You can have forms, data validation checks sorting, filtering, statistical (min, max, average), just like a database. You can more easily export and import to other tools (e.g., mobile devices) or use an online spreadsheet (e.g., Google sheets) with Google forms. Most people only envision spreadsheets as the bare table, but they can be the basis of very powerful capabilities with less complexity.

- Larry
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
David, the book is certainly relevant to UK markets and I have gotten tremendous value from reading it, and I'm only half way through!

So far it's an excellent resource for establishing yourself as a mentalist in your market, and then ways to build your business.

No fluff, just concise and easy to grasp methods direct from a successful working mind reader.

Thanks
Chris
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
I feel much more confident in creating something that will work for me... thanks David & Darby! Yous are both awesome (or should that be 'awful'? ;-))

Will
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
That's outstanding advice, Darby. Thank you! Access is, indeed, a HUGE program. When I was learning it many moons ago I remember really needing to discipline myself to stay on track with the things I was learning and not venture into any of the many rabbit holes that present themselves. I appreciate you taking the time to share your DB expertise. Any other nuggets you choose to share would be most welcome.

I'd be delighted to know what you think once you've been through the whole book, Bond. Please let me know!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
peculiarone
View Profile
Loyal user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
297 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, guitarmagic wrote:
The Marketing Minded Mentalist:
1. Provides "reality orientation" for the student working their way towards success by having one re- examine their product(s)/performance pieces
2. Assists, motivates, inspires one towards creating a delineated process regarding a successful marketing plan in light of personal and commercial success
3. Is comprehensive, powerful, relevant, inspiring, giving workable "real world" concepts in the market
4. Thoroughly informative dealing with fresh, imperative aspects of marketing as they relate to financial success
5. Will set the standard in the industry as THE go-to book recommended by the many which assists others to create a SUCCESSFUL CAREER as a mentalist, magician, mystery artist.

But that's the impression I've got from my first, cursory read. Forgive me if I've missed something! Smile If I did . . . I'm sure it was something powerful.

Its rocked my world!!!

Can't thank you enough David Thiel!!!

I wholeheartedly concur. This book will save you a lot of time. Marketing and sales is something that I really struggle with. Have tried to read sales and marketing books but soon it's ZZZzzz. David has distilled the requisite information and applied it specifically for magical performers (I believe you can use this information to book shows even if you're not a mentalist). It seems that he has covered everything you need to know.

The only stipulation is that you must 'do it'. The book will be useless if you don't apply what you learn. Calling people IS hard work, but with David's book your job just got a whole lot easier. What a minimal investment for maximum returns. Don't miss this!!

Tony
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, Tony.

I've often thought about these motivational speakers who whip into your life and then fade away. They get people all worked up, tell them nothing is impossible and pocket their cheques go away. (I've always wanted to suggest that IF nothing is impossible, they should prove it by dribbling a football.) But when they go away, the fire of what they've had to say cools because reality comes crashing down. They provide short-term motivation...the long term stuff is up to the individual.

The trick (forgive the expression) really is to do it on the first day, and REMIND yourself to REMEMBER why you're doing it on each day that follows. And then just do it.

A critical part of the process is to track your goals as you work toward them. Seeing progress is always a wonderful thing...and reminds you you're going somewhere. That's important because without goals you have no way to measure where you are in comparison to where you want to go. It's like being dumped in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by water. How do you know which way to swim without any terms of reference?

In the early days, shortly after I went full time in 1990, I had a stock picture of a man tearing up the mortgage on his house. That became my goal. I looked at it every day. We paid off our house over twelve years ago. It was a literal goal that was made real. Ideas...goals...things you write down have incredible power if you buy into them and look for every opportunity to make them happen.

The new goal was for Sheree and me to see the world and we've been joyfully working on that one for over a decade now.

Doing it for a little while doesn't ensure success...but at the risk of sounding corny...doing it every day assures progress. Progress = Success in the long run.

So thank you for your words and your kind reviews. Now get out there and make your life happen! Smile

David

www.magicpendulums.com
francis farrell
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of francis farrell
PS: I'm not an American. I'm Canadian.

Well, that means you are North American! Somehow the USA seems to have appropriated the entire continent! After all, people from Central and South America are Americans, too Smile
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
I recently read 'The Marketing Minded Mentalist' and I can confidently say that it is going to have a profound impact on how I approach the marketing and business end of what I do, in much the same way that Ken Weber's 'Maximum Entertainment' changed my approach to performances.

This is solid, practical wisdom from a guy who has been performing Mentalism for a living for years. David has a no-nonsense writing style which really cuts to the heart of the matter.

For anyone that is thinking of turning what they do into a REAL business then books like this are invaluable. Make no mistake, if you want to do more shows, raise your public profile and command more money for your services, then there's a lot of hard work ahead of you. TMMM though will help your sharpen your focus, so that your time is spent on doing the things that will have the most impact on turning what you do into a real business.

Very nice work David - two thumbs up from me.

Regards,
Lar.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Lar: Thank you so much for the wonderful review. It makes me smile.

I greatly enjoyed getting to know you at the PEA convention. You have outstanding ideas and it's an pleasure to play a part in helping you take your career wherever you want it to go.

I hear from people who have purchased the book fairly often with follow up questions or updates on how they're making out with marketing themselves via PM and email. Each contact makes me smile because it means that the book is having an impact on careers -- which is the only reason for it to exist.

If you've bought TMMM and you'd like to share how it's working for you here...or via PM or email, please feel free. The summer is a very busy time for me, but I will respond as soon as I can.

I'd really like to get a dialogue happening about the BUSINESS of marketing mentalism. It's uniquely different than marketing magic.

The latest greatest effects are wonderful of course. But for those who what to start making money from what they do, starting to market themselves may be the greatest effect of all.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
I really like this book. Especially inspiring words on the last pages. The book has a strong and positive effect, even if English - not your native language and marketing techniques are a little different in your country. When I lost the inspiration this book and some other things help me restore my inspiration.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
700 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Not sure how I missed this one...But time to rectify that oversight.
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
Can't checkout on the website, of course I wanna read it! Smile I will keep trying until it's fixed!
Best regards from Brazil!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3331 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Can't add to cart or checkout. Any ideas as to what is wrong with the site. May need to take a look.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3331 Posts

Profile of takeachance
OK just got through, excellant, looking forward to reading this
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I really enjoyed reading the book - I wish I knew some of these stuff 11 years ago. I'll definitely apply things I weren't already conscious of. Economy here in my country made the purchase feel more costly than it actually should be, it was worth it anyway. The motivational page near the end also got my flames burning higher!!

I don't know if you guys talked about ways of keeping a database updated and synchronized here, I've been using Evernote for a few weeks now and so far is the best solution for my needs. I enjoy pasting links, pdfs, emails and there are reminder functions and the integration with all I need. Here's a simple Evernote tutorial if anyone is interested: http://techtalkamerica.com/all-about-evernote-2015-live/

Best regards from Brazil!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Sorry to have been absent so long. It's been a very busy season.

I was unaware of problems with the website. I spoke with the admins and apparently there was a hiccup with the PayPal link...but the issues have been fixed now. If anyone else has trouble ordering, please let me know via PM.

Rick...I very much appreciated the kind words you have shared here. I've never sold what I do or performed in Brazil...so it's wonderful to hear that you see an application for some of the ideas I suggested.

I'm also very glad that you found worth in the motivational page. I really wasn't sure if people would benefit from it or not. I put it in...and took it out again several times. On the one hand, I didn't want it to feel "strange" to the readers...but then I started to think about all of the motivational speakers I've seen. They are great at whipping people up. But then they pocket their money and leave town. I finally decided that one of the most important components for a book on self marketing would be providing a tool or two to KEEP the person motivated to go out every day and do the work...because it IS hard work.

Performing for a living is a tough proposition and it calls for tough, determined and committed people. Talk to anyone who does this for a living -- or part of their living and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. I saw a play at the Edmonton Fringe Festival last month where the main character stood up on a chair and yelled at the top of his voice "You guys don't get it! We have to work our ***es off to avoid a 9-5 job."

We talked about databases earlier in this thread and there was some excellent information shared.

Here's the bottom line: IF your database works for you and you can keep track of each client and were you are in the sales process with each one, you've got a winner. I have used Access for years now and I'm comfortable with it, although it feels a little clunky when I have to transfer the information to my phone...so I may look into Evernote. Thank you.

You know what I've taken to doing? I take a picture of the client agreement with my phone. That way when I go out to do a show I have the "agreement" with me...and I just delete the picture afterward. Low tech, I know...but it works and I don't need to remember any extra paper.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
David I'd look into Giggio. Once you've had a play, its quite intuitive to use.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
499 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Check out the gig management software for musicians called The Bandleader.

http://www.thebandleadersoftware.com/index.php
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL