The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2014, genius wrote:
Did the 9am to 11am ritual work well for you?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 12, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Re-reading the book again!!!!!

There are many aspects to the book. I'm working on several of them at once. There are a couple of improvements I've needed to make in my act to make it bulletproof as can be as well as totally clean at the end. The 9 to 11 time frame is quite easy to maintain for me. I've accomplished several of my goals already!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have waited to see what others would say about this book and as I suspected every response and review has been positive, supportive and most encouraging. This is what anyone who knows David and his contributions here on the Café would expect from him. His posts are very helpful and insightful, and always encouraging. Then he releases this book.

It is exactly what one would expect from a professional of David's caliber, plus much more. This is David's contribution to each of us and our magic business. Marketing is one of the most important areas to operating a mentalism business, yet for many, one of the most feared, dreaded, confusing and overwhelming areas as well.

David opens up his world and does much more than just saying "this is what I did and what works well for me." He takes us on his journey on his transition from magic to mentalism. He clarifies that there is difference between mentalism and magic. He very clearly addresses the many differences including perception, execution and implementation as he first had to identify these things, THEN accept these things himself, and commit to these differences. He's done this is a nice way that is non-offensive, non-elitist (as often accused by magicians) and from multiple perspectives - his, the customers, agents and more.

In opening up and sharing his journey, David also hits on the two key aspects of building the proper foundational structure for your business and the ever-important "process" that is required to implement this. Make no mistake, there is much more to marketing than contained in these 58 pages as I'm sure David would agree, but these pages contain a years-long journey and are filled with excellent perspectives and advice.

I decided I would highlight points as I was reading this. It was a fun, enjoyable and easy read that offered so much useful and practical advice, it was obvious highlighting would be to my advantage. A few hours later I finished the book with both a smile and a pride for what David has accomplished, both in his mentalism business but also in his journey. I know I'm proud to say I now have a yellow copy of most of David's book as I ended up highlighting the majority of the whole d**n book. Over 50 of the 58 pages were nearly all highlighter-yellow!

Aside from the great story and perspectives, and David being a great writer, he hits on some of the most important elements of the process from having the proper perspective required to make the transition from magic to mentalism, to having a plan and setting goals, to commitment and discipline, and to making it all happen by taking action. What David offers is his method of exercising his system and the required discipline. I knew the one thing that would resonate with many is his morning ritual. This is productive, and doable for any performer, part or full-time. I knew this would garner a great response and be one of the standout points that would encourage many to believe they can do it and to get off of their a***s and make it happen, which after knowing the right information, is what it really is all about.

We can see the path to David's success and his successful transition. He "gets it." This will help performers of all levels and offer great insight and clarity to those confused. Confused people will never take action, and David's book takes away that confusion so all that is left is for you to take action.

Very well-done David!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you very much, Mindpro. And Dave. And Scott. And Richard. And Josh..and everyone who has talked about enjoying -- but more importantly -- USING The Marketing Minded Mentalist. Every one of these posts makes my heart smile.

I appreciate the PMs and the emails as well.

THAT'S the reason people write books. The whole idea of sharing information within the community is an exciting concept, isn't it?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
I have waited to see what others would say about this book and as I suspected every response and review has been positive, supportive and most encouraging. This is what anyone who knows David and his contributions here on the Café would expect from him. His posts are very helpful and insightful, and always encouraging. Then he releases this book.

It is exactly what one would expect from a professional of David's caliber, plus much more. This is David's contribution to each of us and our magic business. Marketing is one of the most important areas to operating a mentalism business, yet for many, one of the most feared, dreaded, confusing and overwhelming areas as well.

David opens up his world and does much more than just saying "this is what I did and what works well for me." He takes us on his journey on his transition from magic to mentalism. He clarifies that there is difference between mentalism and magic. He very clearly addresses the many differences including perception, execution and implementation as he first had to identify these things, THEN accept these things himself, and commit to these differences. He's done this is a nice way that is non-offensive, non-elitist (as often accused by magicians) and from multiple perspectives - his, the customers, agents and more.

In opening up and sharing his journey, David also hits on the two key aspects of building the proper foundational structure for your business and the ever-important "process" that is required to implement this. Make no mistake, there is much more to marketing than contained in these 58 pages as I'm sure David would agree, but these pages contain a years-long journey and are filled with excellent perspectives and advice.

I decided I would highlight points as I was reading this. It was a fun, enjoyable and easy read that offered so much useful and practical advice, it was obvious highlighting would be to my advantage. A few hours later I finished the book with both a smile and a pride for what David has accomplished, both in his mentalism business but also in his journey. I know I'm proud to say I now have a yellow copy of most of David's book as I ended up highlighting the majority of the whole d**n book. Over 50 of the 58 pages were nearly all highlighter-yellow!

Aside from the great story and perspectives, and David being a great writer, he hits on some of the most important elements of the process from having the proper perspective required to make the transition from magic to mentalism, to having a plan and setting goals, to commitment and discipline, and to making it all happen by taking action. What David offers is his method of exercising his system and the required discipline. I knew the one thing that would resonate with many is his morning ritual. This is productive, and doable for any performer, part or full-time. I knew this would garner a great response and be one of the standout points that would encourage many to believe they can do it and to get off of their a***s and make it happen, which after knowing the right information, is what it really is all about.

We can see the path to David's success and his successful transition. He "gets it." This will help performers of all levels and offer great insight and clarity to those confused. Confused people will never take action, and David's book takes away that confusion so all that is left is for you to take action.

Very well-done David!

Great review!

I am still re-reading and think that David's PDF is one of the best investments I have made in my business.

Coming from a Real Estate sales background already, I knew that prospecting would be a key component when I decided to transition to performance full time. However even though I know the importance of dialing for dollars daily (prospecting), like many I tend to procrastinate and I am at times not consistent in my efforts.

These past two years have been the best ones I've had and when I look at my overall booking there is no doubt that most of them were the direct result of going out and seeking opportunities rather than waiting for then to seek me (which rarely happens).

I love much of what David has put into this book but the prospecting component ritual is some of the best advice to be found. I plan on making 2015 a bigger year for booking and raising my fees as well, and David's advice will be a good portion of what will help me achieve my goals.

Thanks again David and look forward to buying you a drink next year at MV.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Wolfmindreader
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Wolfmindreader
I really like this ebook! Great advice and a real wake up call.
I'm allready using the advice and principles and it is really paying off!

Ps; David's customer service is very good!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, Wolfmindreader. I am delighted to hear that. Seriously.

Here's the thing: marketing -- as a task unto itself -- isn't rocket science. It's ultimately about putting your product in front of potential buyers in a way that will tip them into the decision to buy it...and knowing how often you need to to that in order to get where you've decided you're going with your career. That's it. That's successful marketing.

The Marketing Minded Mentalist is just a book that lays out the nuts and bolts of how to go accomplish that.

But if you want to know the REAL secret of The Marketing Minded Mentalist -- here it is: for free. You need to have the discipline to do the work day in and day out. You need to be willing to hit the phones on days when you absolutely do NOT feel like it or when you feel like you just don't have the confidence to sell your show...and always be acutely aware of where you stand with reference to your sales and achievement goals -- and where you still need to go.

You need to hit the phones when times are really good and your booking schedule is loaded -- and you need to hit them when the coffers are running dry and you're fighting for each job -- without the client ever suspecting how much you want the work.

You need to be on the phone when you're in a hotel room far from home and no one will know if you did the work or not...and you need to do it when you've had a busy weekend and you're bone tired and you just want to sleep. Or rest.

People run out of "steam" because they lose sight of the end goal...or they can't tell where they are in reference to where they have to be...or they simply turn around one day and the passion they started the whole undertaking with has evaporated. It's happened to me many times in my life with many different projects.

The ONLY solution I've ever found is a) to have a plan and measurable goals to use as "road markers" along the way and b) to agree with myself to work hard for just two hours each day on marketing and sales. That's really all it takes. Two hard hours -- and you have the other 22 to do the fun stuff -- like exploring new props, sleeping...spending time with family or friends...creating or refining new aspects of your show etc.

If show BUSINESS was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Hearing all you guys saying that it's paying off for you is literal music to my heart. So keep the pedal to the MENTAL and watch the real magic happen in your lives.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Ain't it the truth!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
David-

If I might ask do you send holiday cards or gifts to your best or past clients? This seems a wise idea.

Thanks.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
David-

If I might ask do you send holiday cards or gifts to your best or past clients? This seems a wise idea.

Thanks.

No I don't for several reasons.

First: I am in regular contact with my best and repeat clients. In some cases I will have lunch with them...but most of the time I am in touch with them on as often as they want to hear from me.

Second: I don't send gifts to clients. It smacks of manipulation to me -- although that's a purely personal viewpoint. I will do favors for some of them and they know it. For example, I recently did a Paranormal Evening for a meeting planner who has booked me a respectable number of times over the years. She was looking to make her mother's family birthday party memorable and I offered this as a gift to a friend.

I do lots of special things for my clients -- usually when I'm on-site. Sometimes I start early. Sometimes I have an interaction with people who are special to them (high profile clients etc.). With the fairs, I'll usually do a special show on behalf of the fair board for hospitals or old folks homes...or do a set in their VIP rooms. I think something like that goes a long way toward cementing the relationship on a personal level and the bottom line is that I'm there anyway.

Third: The purpose of a card is to let someone know you thought of them. My clients already know I am thinking of them. As I said -- I'm in regular contact with them by phone and email so I'm in touch with them when they are planning their events. But I also send out one "industry specific" mass email once a year: in December for the fairs...and in the fall for my corporate clients. This is the ONLY "generic" contact I have with them...but I am always telling them about something specific...something new I'm offering or a "special" that they can get from me if they book early.

I want my contacts with them to be something they enjoy and are open to...and don't want to ever cause them to feel crowded or manipulated by me.

Having said all that, I know a number of entertainers who always send out cards and gifts to clients...and they swear by it.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks again - I need to think about it as a fun holiday card makes sense for me.

I think the idea is to make an effort to be top of mind throughout the year. Taking some clients to lunch seems a good plan to cement those relationships and understand needs.

I also show up early at gigs and sometimes give a little extra time. I usually never wear a watch to strolling gigs and that is to my detriment at times as the time flies by quickly lol.

Lots of great information in your pdf and this thread for anyone seeking to make 2015 and beyond amazing.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I had the pleasure of sitting beside Bobo (the author of Modern Coin Magic) at a convention one time. He was this little old guy, sitting all by himself at a table. I'd been reading his book, carefully earmarking pages where I'd mastered the sleight...or felt it was something I should work on. It was a real highlight for me.

He had these business cards that had a mathematical puzzle on them. You added various numbers from columns and reached a predicted outcome. They were all marked "Bobo The Magician."

Anyway -- he told me that he sent these out to clients every Christmas -- and on a number of occasions, people pulled them out of their wallets to show him that they'd kept them.

I think there's tremendous value to something like that. The "trick" is finding the right something that sends the right message.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of eric50
David has great insight and I am thrilled he has agreed to speak at the Magic Business University Conference April 17-19 in New Jersey. For those of us that heard him speak at Mind Vention this year he was great. But at MBU he will be giving a much longer talk on Marketing and Mentalism going over many things and answering all your questions. I really didn't know David ( only by a great reputation) before starting to talk to him about coming on board and I can say he is a very thoughtful and insightful guy and I look forward to hanging with him and getting to know him better and the conference, If you are interested in growing your business, then you should consider coming to MBU. http://magicbusinessuniversity.com
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
485 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of everyone praising David's work on this publication.

I received my copy over a month ago and in the same week of reading it I applied many of the principles David shares regarding the "Face-to-face Pitch" to great effect! The pitch went as smoothly as I've ever experienced and the show is set for December 12th.

An unexpected highlight for me was David's thoughts on the reality that most clients don't understand what a "mentalist" is. This section of the book has given me some much needed food for thought as I continue down the path of pitching my services to companies and clients that don't know me from Adam nor really understand what I do.

Thanks again David!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
This has been such a busy season that I hardly have time to get around here as often as I'd like. That means that I risk coming off like a jerk when people like Eric and Drew make a point of coming here to say kind things about The Marketing Minded Mentalist. So...thank you.

You guys blow me away. Seriously. That book has gone out all over the US and Canada -- into Europe, Iceland and Norway and Asia -- even a couple into Africa. It's gratifying because sending a book out into the world is sort of like sending your kid to school for the first time. You hope you've dressed him right...and that the other kids will like him. But eventually you have to take your hands off and let the kid go. Thank you for liking this particular "kid."

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post that they're using the material to take their careers closer to where they want them to be -- and those of you who have PMed or emailed me with the same kind of comments or questions about everything from databases to sales material. (If I haven't gotten back to you yet, it's just because this is the busiest season of the year for me.) That was the purpose of the whole project.

I have an idea. A couple of years ago I registered a website domain. The concept was to create a presence online where mystery entertainers could talk specifically about marketing themselves and share ideas and strategies within the safety of a closed environment...sort of an ongoing online marketing and sales minded workshop.

I know I don't have time to run it myself. But if there's enough interest, I'll work out a template in the new year and we can see where it goes.

What do you guys think?

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
David,

A great idea and very doable. Be happy to participate.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
485 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
David,

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you in no way would come off as a jerk! Honestly, it's great to hear that you're staying busy because that just adds credibility to the marketing advice that you offer in the book! So in that vein--we wish you so much success that you'll have even less time to hang out on the Café!

The "online marketing workshop" sounds GREAT! While I won't have much to offer by way of implementing your idea, I will definitely look forward to being a part of it.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
I had the pleasure of sitting down with David a couple of weeks ago while visiting Edmonton, Alberta. David was generous with his time and insight and I enjoyed getting to know him.

With all the praise here, I'm surprised David's book has yet to appear in the "Official Book of the Year 2014" thread! If David's book is in your Top 3 this year, head over there now and cast your vote!

Here's the thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
485 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Rob,

Thanks for the recommendation and link! I just added "The Marketing Minded Mentalist" as part of my vote!

Best,

Drew

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Smile

I certainly didn't expect this. Thanks Drew...and Slim King for your voting for the MMM. It means a lot to me. You don't usually see books that don't talk about effects nominated as "book of the year" -- so I am both humbled and delighted.

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate it very much.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
David, I don't generally buy anything for myself, especially the sorts of things that people sell here, because I feel I should be making money with this stuff, rather than spending money on it. But what I've seen so far in regards to this tells me that when I do decide it's time for me to get something for me (and not the house, my girl or the kids) again, I can get your book and feel no guilt whatsoever.

It seems it would be more of an investment than an indulgence, and that's awesome.

I'd probably be able to actually afford more indulgences after putting it to work for myself, as well, and that's beautiful. I'm very seriously considering purchasing this, and that's saying a lot. Most of the time getting money out of me is almost impossible, so yeah.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL