The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you MG. I'd be delighted to send you a book.

To be completely honest: marketing mentalism isn't hard. Really -- it's not. But when people think about it, I think they may be seeing this huge mountain in front of them. Where do you start? Website? How do you attract clients...and when you have them...what do you send them...and how do you keep them...and how do you power the whole process forward? How do you make reasonable plans? Sent goals?

Getting sales and marketing yourself effectively is actually a series of small steps. Once you've started taking those steps, you're on your way and the whole process has started.

THEN the REAL task is to continue that process day after day. I think many people -- myself included -- start new projects with lots of fire and determination. But as the days slip by, you tend to feel the drive you started with leaking away. It's not JUST about getting motivated in the first place...it's much more about staying motivated...and that's where goals come in.

As I've said previously -- I don't like marketing and sales. But I acknowledge that it's a critical part of doing this for a living. So I treat every dollar that comes in like another point in a "game" -- and I'm always looking for the high score.

I hope that makes sense. Smile

I look forward to sending you the book whenever you feel you're ready, Mortimer.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I can only add my own praise for this book. Conversational in tone, witty in places, insightful throughout. Having just moved to a new market, I found it particularly intriguing and riddled with wisdom. David brings that same 'old time' work ethic to marketing that so many feel is missing from the arena of practising and performing, and it is a refreshing look at an essential segment of the business aspect of entertainment.

Inspired by this book, I've made a number of changes in my marketing plan recently, and I fully expect them to pay dividends - indeed, some already are.

If you are serious about working as an entertainer, take some time to read David's advice - you'll be glad you did.

Best,

Atlas
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10601 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
Thank you MG. I'd be delighted to send you a book.

To be completely honest: marketing mentalism isn't hard. Really -- it's not. But when people think about it, I think they may be seeing this huge mountain in front of them. Where do you start? Website? How do you attract clients...and when you have them...what do you send them...and how do you keep them...and how do you power the whole process forward? How do you make reasonable plans? Sent goals?

Getting sales and marketing yourself effectively is actually a series of small steps. Once you've started taking those steps, you're on your way and the whole process has started.

THEN the REAL task is to continue that process day after day. I think many people -- myself included -- start new projects with lots of fire and determination. But as the days slip by, you tend to feel the drive you started with leaking away. It's not JUST about getting motivated in the first place...it's much more about staying motivated...and that's where goals come in.

As I've said previously -- I don't like marketing and sales. But I acknowledge that it's a critical part of doing this for a living. So I treat every dollar that comes in like another point in a "game" -- and I'm always looking for the high score.

I hope that makes sense. Smile

I look forward to sending you the book whenever you feel you're ready, Mortimer.

David

And to add to the wisdom from the PDF...

In many cases the hardest time to prospect and seek new business is when you are busiest - at the moment when you feel you can kick back.

Having been in sales for over two decades the best and most consistent business is when you have a pipeline of present and future business lines up.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Yeah, complacency is poison; if you don't keep planting you can't expect the harvest to last.

If you don't keep it rolling even when you think you're doing well, you won't stay in business for long. It's never about reaching a stopping point, because if you stop, you're done. An object in motion, and all...
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Great thoughts here. Couldn't have said them better myself. Smile

Here's another idea that isn't in the book. (I guess remembering things you should have included is where second editions come from.)

We all get calls for dates where we are already booked. The way guys usually handle this is to tell the client that they are sorry but the date's sold. More on-the-ball guys will say "I'm sorry...the date is sold out. But can I send you information for another event you might be working on."

Even if I know I am sold out for that day, I will say "I think I may have something already on that date. Let me look into it. Meanwhile, I'll send you my package. You look it over and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Okay?"

This does a couple of things. First: it lets the client know you are in demand. Second: it nearly ENSURES that they will watch/read/contemplate your package because, as opposed to being one of the many performers that said "no" to them, you're one that just might say "yes." So they're interested in you.

When you call the client back to tell them that you're sold out (and don't leave it too long...no more than 20 minutes so that they can still chase down other options) you ask them specifically about other dates they might be working on. Does this always work? Not always. But SOMETIMES it does. And if it doesn't, you've at least made an impression on the client. There's a good chance that now that you are known by them, that they WILL call you for another show. Why? Because your response to them made you stand out.

Finally...do something that IS in the book: suggest someone else that you know will do a good job for them. This allows you to help another performer along (and hopefully get some of their referrals) AND lets you help the client -- which is always a good thing.

The "upside" of handling a "no" this way can really be significant...because with the standard "no" you -- and the client -- walk away with nothing.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
peculiarone
View Profile
Loyal user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
297 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
This is an awesome post. Besides the excellent information posted here, it showed me that I am not alone in the "disliking, procrastinating, just don't feel like doing it, mode. For me the calling time has to be 3-5 PM as I work fulltime and I simply cannot call anyone in the morning. I will be ordering the book today. I look forward to some good stuff.

thanks

Tony
peculiarone
View Profile
Loyal user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
297 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
JUST HIT "PAY NOW" Smile

PO
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am in Brazil today. Sheree and I are knocking another item off of the bucket list spending the next three weeks traveling through South America. (I post updates on my Facebook site if you're interested)...and this morning, I sent The Marketing Minded Mentalist out to a guy in Texas. (At least I hope I did...because the Internet is a little spotty here.)

Why am I telling you about this? That book sale allowed me to hit the "bestseller" goal mark I set when I wrote it.

I just want to thank each person who purchased this book. Thank you for the kind things you've said about it...and thank you for putting what you've read to work. I appreciate it. I'm honoured just seeing it nominated for Book of the Year. THANK YOU!

David

www.magicpendulums.com
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
The Marketing Minded Mentalist:
1. Provides "reality orientation" for the student working their way towards success by having one re- examine their product(s)/performance pieces
2. Assists, motivates, inspires one towards creating a delineated process regarding a successful marketing plan in light of personal and commercial success
3. Is comprehensive, powerful, relevant, inspiring, giving workable "real world" concepts in the market
4. Thoroughly informative dealing with fresh, imperative aspects of marketing as they relate to financial success
5. Will set the standard in the industry as THE go-to book recommended by the many which assists others to create a SUCCESSFUL CAREER as a mentalist, magician, mystery artist.

But that's the impression I've got from my first, cursory read. Forgive me if I've missed something! Smile If I did . . . I'm sure it was something powerful.

Its rocked my world!!!

Can't thank you enough David Thiel!!!
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, guitarmagic wrote:
1. Provides "reality orientation" for the student working their way towards success by having one re- examine their product(s)/performance pieces
2. Assists, motivates, inspires one towards creating a delineated process regarding a successful marketing plan in light of personal and commercial success
3. Is comprehensive, powerful, relevant, inspiring, giving workable "real world" concepts in the market
4. Thoroughly informative dealing with fresh, imperative aspects of marketing as they relate to financial success
5. Will set the standard in the industry as THE go-to book recommended by the many which assists others to create a SUCCESSFUL CAREER as a mentalist, magician, mystery artist.

But that's the impression I've got from my first, cursory read. Forgive me if I've missed something! Smile If I did . . . I'm sure it was something powerful.

Its rocked my world!!!

I told you so!!! David is quite the world traveler!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, guitarmagic wrote:

Its rocked my world!!!

Sheree and I are in South America at the moment where the Internet is quite spotty. So I have not been here much. But thank you for these kind words. They rocked my world too...so we are even, fella. Smile

David

www.magicpendulums.com
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
I know David's credentials are rock solid. But before I hit pay button can David, or perhaps others outside the USA who have read this book confirm it is not US centric in its approach?

Thanks in advance (and I'm in the UK)

Chris
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
I've just purchased and look forward to learning from a genuine good man who has worked hard and achieved his goal. I can see this being read many times over!

Thanks
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
You've already purchased the book, so I'll be interested to know what you think once you've worked with it.

I have never sold what I do in the UK, although I've sold to people from the UK. My honest sense is that there's no good reason why the material wouldn't work as well across the pond as it does here. It really is a book about how to sell mentalism...and how to market it.

I really didn't want it to be another "You Too Can Be Earning $70,000 Per Show With This Revolutionary Miracle System." That kind of idea smacks of "magic bullet" marketing -- the notion that there's a pill/course/guru that will cause money to fall into your lap from the heavens. IF this thing existed, I'd be all over it. But trust me. It doesn't.

A little luck doesn't hurt -- but nothing takes the place of hard work and focused planing. **sigh**

The book is about how to find clients and what to do with them once you've got them.

It's about developing habits that will lead you to turning strangers into clients.

It's about how to overcome the rather shocking notion that most of your potential clients really have no idea what a mentalist is.

It's about the importance of maximizing the power of a live face to face appointment -- and a step by step guide of how to work through that appointment so that, when you leave, the client will have a crystal clear idea of what mentalism is -- and the kind of show you perform.

It's also about how to set reasonable goals and then go about achieving them.

It's also about websites and marketing materials.

There's not a single thing in this book that I don't really do every day in my career. I really hate it when guys sell pie in the sky books, loaded with ideas that sound good on paper -- but fall apart when you try to apply it in the real world. Will the way I do things work for everyone? Maybe not...but they all have worked for me and that's a fact.

I am getting emails from guys who are using the book and are excited because it's actually working for them...and that's exciting for me because that's why I wrote the frickin' thing in the first place.

So...again: I will be very interested in hearing how you do with The Marketing Minded Mentalist. Please send an update or two. That goes for those of you who have had the book for a while. IS it working for you? Are there problems we can figure out together? I'm not asking so that I can get glowing reviews. I'm asking because I want this to be a system...a book...that works for anyone who applies it. If something isn't working...if something isn't clear...let's fix it.

So if YOU'VE been marketing yourself...what kind of progress have you made?

David

PS: I'm not an American. I'm Canadian. Smile

www.magicpendulums.com
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
Having just read the book for the 3rd time last night, I think it's going to be entirely appropriate for UK performers: there isn't anything in there that makes me think 'that's not the same over here'. Personally I think it's a gold mine of solid practical advice.

One question, David: are there any MS Access tutorials or resources that you'd specifically recommend? I've been consulting Google and YouTube but still feel a bit lost!

Thanks,
Will
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'm very glad you feel the material will work in the UK, Will. I am of the same mind. And thank you also for the kind words about the book. I very much appreciate hearing them.

Here's the thing about Access: when I was developing my sales strategy...it was back in the 1980's. Databases were few and far in between. When the time came to computerize things, the options were still very limited...and since I was working with my certification in Access, doing an Access database to track the sales process was a very simple decision.

The reason I included the photo of my Access screen was so that people would get a sense of the categories I use:

* Client Name
* Organization Name
* Phone Number
* Email
* Mailing Address
* Materials Sent
* Notes...where all the rest of the information goes

There are now dozens of much simpler databases out there...many for the iPad that would function perfectly -- with a minimum of muss, fuss and bother. If I were you, I would not do Access unless you have other DBs that would justify the cost. I am much happier using materials on my iPad, which is instantly backed up on the Cloud...and more easily transported than my laptop. I also have the added convenience of having the same information synched with my iPhone.

As long as you have a database that can index by "Follow Up Dates", you're homefree.

If you're still keen on Access, I'd go to Lynda.com -- where there are specific video tutorials that show you how to do the specific things you need to do in a very short time frame. You can get memberships for around $25/month -- and one month should be more than enough to get a database up and running.

I'm not running Access down, of course. It does everything I need it to do...and I use it for many other projects. But I think respect for the time required to climb the learning curve needs to be considered as well. You have a whole lot more options open to you now than I had then.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
David, thanks for your detailed and very helpful reply!

I have a copy of Office on my laptop from work, so it seemed natural to try to get to grips with Access. However, it sounds like something more basic will actually be a better idea. Great advice.

All the best,
Will
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I just want to mention how great I've found this book.
It's an informative, funny and thought provoking book.
It has got me moving in the right direction.

Thanks David for that extra help, I really appreciate It.
I love post its Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I just want to mention how great I've found this book.
It's an informative, funny and thought provoking book.
It has got me moving in the right direction.

Thanks David for that extra help, I really appreciate It.
I love post its Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
If you already have Access, Will, there may be no issue. Designing a basic Access database is very simple. Lynda.com can teach you how to create and define the categories in DESIGN VIEW less than a couple of minutes. Then just SAVE AS a FORM and you're done. (Don't get sidetracked by all the stuff you don't need to know. That's where people get confused...there's a great steaming pile of useless crap in Access that so many guys waste their time learning...and never EVER use.)

Take one more Lynda lesson on how Queries work -- and you will be set. Failing that, just hunt down a computer geek, throw them two bags of Doritos, and tell them what you want. If you show them the form in the book, they'll know exactly what you need. They can build it for you in just a few minutes...forms for input as well as some basic Queries. (I'm...mostly...kidding about the Doritos. But there are on-line services like Guru.com where techies will bid on creating what you need. It shouldn't cost much at all -- because it is painfully simple to anyone who knows even basic Access. The nice thing about using a pro for design is that they can easily re-define it or re-design it if you find there are changes you want made.)

To do the things you need to do with Access isn't complicated at all once you get the basics.

There are programs that translate Access DBs into formats that can be read on your phone, so you can source event details when you're on-site or on the road. They cost a couple of bucks. But you know what's even simpler? I just use my phone to take a photograph of each contract and that way when I get on-site I have ALL the details at my fingertips. I add them as a picture to my calendar on the performance day. What could be simpler? I can also show the photo to the client if they don't have their copy.

Low tech, I know. But it works.

As for backup...I just save a copy of the most recent DB in Dropbox at the end of each day...and make a copy on a stick each week. You need to do this...or something like it...no matter which way you wind up going with your DB. There's no DB known to man that isn't subject to corruption -- or more likely -- bad input from you. If you have a recent copy, you won't have to start all over. You're going to find that, as you use it, your DB is one of the most important tools you have. The very notion of having mine corrupted makes my knees sweat.

And Seamus: it is a sincere pleasure to lend you a hand. Anytime.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Becoming The Marketing Minded Mentalist (114 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL