The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another School Shooting today (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Whatever happened to knights in shining armor, chainmail underwear and chastity belts?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is something creepy discussing ones morality in terms of other peoples behavior.

If you don't want your kids playing in households where they have guns - forbid them to visit there. If you don't want your kids acting out in other ways give them a better example of how to behave.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, balducci wrote:
I've seen the light. It's so simple. Tell kids not to engage in sex. And tell kids not to shoot one another with guns. Nothing more need be done. Problems solved. Thanks, Aces!

No shooting..Neither bullets nor man fat.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
I've seen the light. It's so simple. Tell kids not to engage in sex. And tell kids not to shoot one another with guns. Nothing more need be done. Problems solved. Thanks, Aces!

If I'm reading the thread correctly, just tell your daughters not to have sex; apparently you don't need to tell your sons. They all need lots of target practice to help them not shoot each other, though.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:

Exactly. Pass more laws against guns and it will solve the problem. Ha, ha. The bad guys will suddenly start to obey them.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, landmark wrote:
Just curious. Do you have any teenage daughters? If not, let me ask you. If you did would you like her having unsafe sex when she goes out?

What a stupid question to ask me.

I have two daughters, both now married and 4 grandchildren. However when they were teenagers and went on a date I did not ask them if they had condoms so they could have safe sex. In other words I did not then, or now, promote sex between teens. If you feel that your daughter needs condoms when she goes on a date. I guess you had better remind her to take them with her so she can have a good time. Would not want to interfere with her or her date's fun. So when they are going out the say, "Don't forget the condoms and have fun".
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, acesover wrote:
Just to clarify my above post on, Oct 26, 2014 09:12 pm .

This is what R S posted:

Anyway, I would rather live in a society that has perhaps slightly more teens engaging in (SAFE/PROTECTED) sex resulting in a drastic reduction in unwanted pregnancies/abortions, than a society where teen sexual activity may be down, but with many unwanted pregnancies/abortions as a result of the lack of access to birth control. How about you?

This was my response:

To answer your question. I would rather live in a society where there were better morals taught along with restraint, and not if it feels good do it mentality. How about you? Also a crime free society and a disease free world and no hunger. How about you? And no I do not see more teens having sex as a good thing no matter how you try and sugar coat it. Is it going to stop? Of course not. But lets not condone it. Jeez...

Also I am missing how you say unwanted abortions. No one is forcing anyone to have one. Most are done for the supposed benefit and desire of the would be mother. Get rid of the child because it interfers with my uninhibited life style. I want to be free...kill the unborn child. whee.

You have avoided my question. The 2 options in my scenario are:

1) Would you rather live in a society that has perhaps slightly more teens engaging in (SAFE/PROTECTED) sex resulting in a drastic reduction in unwanted pregnancies/abortions, or...

2) a society where teen sexual activity may be down, but with many unwanted pregnancies/abortions as a result of the lack of access to birth control.

Which of those would you rather?

Also, who says more teens having sex is a good thing? I never said that, so tell me where you get that notion from.

Regarding a woman's choice, who are you to infer a mother's motives, lifestyle, health, socio-economic conditions, or otherwise? How can you possibly have such a degree of insight into such a personal and private matter? I know you are into guns, so saying that women who have abortions just want to be free and kill an unborn child so as to live an uninhibited lifestyle is kind of like me saying that all gun owners are reckless maniacs who have a secret desire to kill or be killed.

Ron

In all fairness you are not asking me a question but rather asking me to make a decision of the lesser of two evils. Not the same thing.

No... the question is "would you rather (1 or 2 above)"? But okay, I'll go along and agree that I'm "asking you to make a decision of the lesser of two evils". Then which of those, in your opinion, is the lesser of two evils??

Quote:
Also in this topic we are discussing teenagers not WOMEN per say as woman infers older. These are kids remember. They need all the help and guidance get from so called responsible adults. Do you agree with that?

Yes. Help and guidance in teaching them about safe sex, and about all the consequences of sexual activity. That would be the responsible thing to do as an adult, no?

Quote:
We don't ask these kids, (teenagers ) if they wwant to goto school. We make them go. Do feel that is right? Just asking because of your reasoning.

Not sure what your point is here. Are you saying that because we make them go to school, we should "make" them refrain from having sex? How is that possible?

Quote:
On this comment you totally lost me. "I know you are into guns, so saying that women who have abortions just want to be free and kill an unborn child so as to live an uninhibited lifestyle is kind of like me saying that all gun owners are reckless maniacs who have a secret desire to kill or be killed." I guess you see something that parallels the two but I cannot find it. What does having a hobby of shooting have to do with a woman having an abortion? I shoot because I enjoy it. Do these women enjoy abortions? Or do you mean these women's hobby is having sex? Not sure where you are going with this. Confusing to say the least.

Don't know if you are truly this obtuse or if you are just messing with me here. I suspect the former.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Inspired by this news story, and by acesover's heroic firing of his Glock, I am going to aquire a gun, in order to prove that functional guns are designed for fun and not for killing and maiming.

Oh happy day.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If used properly a firearm IS a form of birth control. Now I see the connection.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sadomasochism, seems to be the new normal.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Just curious. Do you have any teenage daughters? If not, let me ask you. If you did would you like her having unsafe sex when she goes out?

I have two daughters, both now married and 4 grandchildren. However when they were teenagers and went on a date I did not ask them if they had condoms so they could have safe sex. In other words I did not then, or now, promote sex between teens.

So you didn't talk to your dating daughters about birth control and safe sex?
Hmmm and you call me stupid...
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have two daughters, both now married and 4 grandchildren. However when they were teenagers and went on a date I did not ask them if they had condoms so they could have safe sex. In other words I did not then, or now, promote sex between teens.

So you didn't talk to your dating daughters about birth control and safe sex?
Hmmm and you call me stupid...

Not true. But I certainly did not give them condoms when they dated as teens. There is a difference in talking to them and handing them a package of condoms while asking them to have high moral values and respect themselves. Don't you feel that is sort of a mixed message? Of course if you see nothing wrong with your daughter having teen sex that is your choice. We just have different ideals in that regard.

Be honest here. What is it about birth control that teens don't understand? Like they never heard of safe sex. Smile Hearing about safe sex and talking to them about safe sex is much different than condoning it and giving them condoms. Maybe we are on different pages here.

You all know I am a pro gun person. So when teaching someone safety with a gun I do not tell them to put on bullet proof vests just in case they want to shoot at each other. Smile I kind of let them know that shooting at one another is a no, no. Smile Same goes with teen sex. I emphasize morality and the consequences of teen sex. But I do not after saying that hand them a pack of condoms. Again kind of a mixed message. However that was just me and I no longer have that worry. Others have different values and opinions. To each his own. Who am I to tell you how to raise your children? As I often said. Do as you please. Everything here is my opinion and nothing more. And we all know about opinions.

BTW. You did not say teens having sex was a good thing. It was stoneunhinged. Unhinged...very fitting if I must say.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Be honest here. What is it about birth control that teens don't understand?

Lots. They have lots of questions. And many have lots of misconceptions. Just for some simple examples--you'd be surprised how many high school teens I've taught think that there's not a very big chance of getting pregnant if it's only one time. And who think that a woman cannot get pregnant if the man pulls out before he ejaculates. Or who don't know the right way to leave some space at the end when putting on a condom in order to reduce the chances of it breaking. Or holding on to the condom when pulling out, so nothing accidentally spills out. Or how to speak up and insist that the man use a condom in the first place. Or... well you get the idea.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
If I'm reading the thread correctly, just tell your daughters not to have sex; apparently you don't need to tell your sons.

That's right.

Girls have morals. Boys get harny.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
SURPRISE! FREE BIRTH CONTROL AND SEX EDUCATION SLASH RATES OF TEEN PREGNANCY AND ABORTION:
http://www.healthline.com/health-news/fr......s-100114

Teens who were educated about methods of birth control and who received free contraception were significantly less likely to get pregnant or to get an abortion compared to other sexually active teens, according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Nearly three-quarters of the 1,404 teens who took part in the Contraceptive CHOICE Project chose intrauterine devices, or IUDs, which are small devices placed in the uterus to interrupt the process of insemination, or contraceptive implants, which are small plastic rods inserted into the arm that continuously release a synthetic hormone called progestin to prevent pregnancy. Health workers in the project promoted these forms of contraception since they are long-acting, providing protection for up to 10 years.

The Contraceptive CHOICE Project included more than 9,000 St. Louis women and teens who were at high risk for unplanned pregnancy and were open to trying a new form of birth control. Participants had various birth control options to choose from, including IUDs, implants, pills, rings, condoms, and patches.

Of the teens in the study, nearly 500 were between 14 and 17 years old when they enrolled. Half of the teens in this age group reported that they had had an unplanned pregnancy, and 18 percent reported at least one abortion.

“The CHOICE Project removed three important barriers for teens … education, access, and cost,” said Gina Secura, Ph.D., a researcher at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and director of the CHOICE Project, in a press statement. “The simultaneous removal of these common barriers ... resulted in much lower pregnancy rates. By simply removing one barrier, we probably would not have seen the same results.”

The results of the birth control intervention were astounding. The annual pregnancy rate for teens ages 15 to 19 in the study was 3.4 percent. That compares to 15.9 percent for all U.S. teens who are sexually active. Teens in the study had an average annual birth rate of 1.9 percent, compared to 9.4 percent for all sexually active U.S. teens.

Teens in the study also had lower abortion rates. From 2008 to 2013, the average annual abortion rate for teens in the study was almost 1 percent. That compares to 4.2 percent in 2008 for all sexually active teens.

“The study suggests that we can successfully reduce these outcomes [teen pregnancies, births, and abortion rates] if we make changes in how we provide contraceptive care to teens in the U.S.,” Secura said.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aims to reduce the nation's teen birth rate by 20 percent by 2015.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
RS that study is only talking about "sexually active" teens. It's good as far as it goes.

But if you search around (sorry, I'm lazy right now) you'll find research that shows that girls who took a "Virginity Pledge" in an least one established program were more likely to have an unwanted pregnancy than those who didn't pledge.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, landmark wrote:
RS that study is only talking about "sexually active" teens. It's good as far as it goes.

But if you search around (sorry, I'm lazy right now) you'll find research that shows that girls who took a "Virginity Pledge" in an least one established program were more likely to have an unwanted pregnancy than those who didn't pledge.

I'd be cautious of selection bias. I suspect that many girls who take the pledge are "trying to be strong" in whatever circumstances they find themselves in, but girls who couldn't be bothered see that there's not reason to. (With exceptions on both sides, of course.)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I mentioned a while back about being on the same page. After reading many posts it is obvious we are not on the same page. My idea is more of a morality issue and should be taught and stressed and then practiced by the teen. Others here seem to feel that it is OK for teens to have sex as long as it is safe. That is definitely two different pages. In fact a completely different book.

News Flash here. Teens don't use their brain as they should. All the more reason to teach them and try and guide them. Not say, OK...give into your sexual desires just be careful. Wrong...don't you see that? Neither of these two schools will solve the problem completely. They are teens. Let me repeat that. They are teens and this fact should be considered. Why do you think they are not allowed to vote until older or pocess firearms until older and drive until older along with many other things how about alcohol and the list goes on. Because they are teens and as of yet in life do not have enough life experience or lets be honest here enough sense.

We are all on the same side here but our methods and ideas issues differ. By that I mean that I don't believe anyone here wants more teens to have sex or abortions. We seem to differ on a moral scale and people wanting to be more progressive and I don't know how to put it...maybe politically correct. But promoting sex for teens just as long as it is safe is inherently wrong.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5301 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, acesover wrote:
But promoting sex for teens just as long as it is safe is inherently wrong.

Very True! We live in a morally declining world. sad......
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Morality is taught at home by family. Landmark is speaking about teachers. Apples and hand grenades.

You will never come to anything resembling agreement as you are talking two different agendas.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another School Shooting today (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL