The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
In another thread Bonnie and Clyde came up as an overrated movie.
Any other nominees?

I'll nominate Young Frankenstein. I don't think I laughed once. Spaceballs was much funnier.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
LOL. I think the exact opposite. Spaceballs terribly overrated. Young Frankenstein hilarious.

But I'll nominate Natural Born Killers. What a waste of a couple of hours.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, Bonnie and Clyde was grossly under-rated when it was first released. Time magazine panned it for it "glorification" of violence and the Academy Award that year went to "In the Heat of the Night." The irony was that the latter was actually over-rated and the award was widely seen as an effort by the Academy to make up for not giving Rod Steiger's film "The Pawnbroker" the award the previous year.

Then, for the first time ever, Time magazine published a new review of Bonnie and Clyde, admitting that their initial review had completely missed the artistry and point of the film. This time they praised it highly.

Bonnie and Clyde remains a ground-breaking film and is hardly "over-rated."

"In the Heat of the Night," on the other hand, would qualify, IMO, as an over-rated film.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I agree with rockwall, though, that Young Frankenstein was hilarious and FAR better than Space Balls.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If it was grossly underrated, it certainly recovered quickly; it was one of the top grossing movies of the year, and no film that year had more Oscar nominations.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Agree with Rockwall on Natural Born Killers.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am speaking of the Bonnie and Clyde offering from the History channel.

But American Beauty takes the prize for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?

Certainly not!

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The irony was that the latter was actually over-rated and the award was widely seen as an effort by the Academy to make up for not giving Rod Steiger's film "The Pawnbroker" the award the previous year.

Heck of a movie, The Pawnbroker.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6010 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
Actually, Bonnie and Clyde was grossly under-rated when it was first released. Time magazine panned it for it "glorification" of violence and the Academy Award that year went to "In the Heat of the Night." The irony was that the latter was actually over-rated and the award was widely seen as an effort by the Academy to make up for not giving Rod Steiger's film "The Pawnbroker" the award the previous year.

Then, for the first time ever, Time magazine published a new review of Bonnie and Clyde, admitting that their initial review had completely missed the artistry and point of the film. This time they praised it highly.

Bonnie and Clyde remains a ground-breaking film and is hardly "over-rated."

"In the Heat of the Night," on the other hand, would qualify, IMO, as an over-rated film.
Bonnie and Clyde was the first adult film my friends and I snuck in on. Still like the film as much today.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Titanic.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4105 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've watched "Casablanca" 3 times recently. A good movie, certainly, but for me not a classic.

But one person's opinion doesn't make it 'overrated'.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Titanic.

I put up with it to get laid so while I totally agree and spent the entire movie screaming"sink the ship already" I can't call it to over rated.

The ending bugged me too. Just throw it away and don't sell it to use the money to do any good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The Piano.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If it was grossly underrated, it certainly recovered quickly; it was one of the top grossing movies of the year, and no film that year had more Oscar nominations.

As I noted, it was initially grossly under-rated by critics, including Time magazine. No question that it was a major box office success. Bonnie and Clyde was also among the first 100 films selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

Pretty good for a film that some consider "over-rated."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Re: Titanic.

Female takeaway: That was so romantic, he was willing to give up his life for her.

Male takeaway: If she would have just done what he told her, they'd have lived happily ever after, but NOOOOO, she had to get him killed*.

*- Spoiler: He tells her to get in the lifeboat and he (established as an extremely resourceful survivor) will meet up with her later. She refuses so they can be together, and they go on to find buoyant material...that's only big enough for one of them. I think to think he spent his last hours cussing her out in his mind.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Danny- I agree with you about the television version of Bonnie and Clyde. What was the point of remaking a classic anyway?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

As I noted, it was initially grossly under-rated by critics, including Time magazine. No question that it was a major box office success. Bonnie and Clyde was also among the first 100 films selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

Pretty good for a film that some consider "over-rated."

I'm not sure how long your "initially" time period was. It was released in August, and by nomination time, at least among the Oscar folks, it wasn't underrated by the nominators.

Of course is has many trappings of success. The fact that it was a major box office success and an early selection for preservation (and a Best Picture nominee) is precisely WHY some of us consider it overrated.

Thoughts on B & C vs. The Graduate or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (two other Best Picture nominees that year)?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL