The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was pretty awful in my opinion, and I haven't seen The Graduate in a long time. I don't know if it still holds up. But back in 1968 (?) we thought it was the bee's knees. Dustin's first movie and he was different from all the other Hollywood leading men.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Danny- I agree with you about the television version of Bonnie and Clyde. What was the point of remaking a classic anyway?

I saw no point unless they seriously wanted a documentary. Which obviously they didn't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair you fellas are much more connoisseurs than myself. If there are no car chases or explosions or gun fights and partial nudity I will probably pass anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's one I probably will get disagreement on: Gone with the Wind.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, landmark wrote:

Yep, I disagree Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, landmark wrote:

Frankly I don't give a..... yea I just went there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh, one more I know I will get disagreement on : The Deer Hunter. Brilliant acting, but a mess of a movie and politically incoherent and dishonest. OTOH, Apocalypse Now! (the movie, not the Harry Lorayne command) is in my top five favorite movie list.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, landmark, I agree with you about both The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Lobo-

Here's exactly what I'm talking about and the time frame. (Note that I made a mistake earlier and said that it was Time Magazine that changed its position. I remembered incorrectly- it was Newsweek):

Quote:
The film was controversial on its original release for its supposed glorification of murderers, and for its level of graphic violence, which was unprecedented at the time. Bosley Crowther of The New York Times was so appalled that he began to campaign against the increasing brutality of American films.[35] Dave Kaufman of Variety criticized the film for uneven direction and for portraying Bonnie and Clyde as bumbling fools.[36] Joe Morgenstern for Newsweek initially panned the film as a "squalid shoot-'em-up for the moron trade." After seeing the film a second time and noticing the enthusiastic audience, he wrote a second article saying he had misjudged it and praised the film. Warner Brothers took advantage of this, marketing the film as having made a major critic change his mind about its virtues.[37]

Roger Ebert gave Bonnie and Clyde a largely positive review, giving it four stars out of a possible four. He called the film "a milestone in the history of American movies, a work of truth and brilliance." More than 30 years later, he added the film to his "Great Movies" list. Film critics Dave Kehr and James Berardinelli have also praised the film in the years since.

The fierce debate about the film is discussed at length in For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism. This 2009 documentary film chronicles what occurred as a result: The New York Times fired Bosley Crowther because his negative review seemed so out of touch with the public, and Pauline Kael, who wrote a lengthy freelance essay in The New Yorker in praise of the film, became the magazine's new staff-critic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_......eception
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, landmark wrote:
OTOH, Apocalypse Now! (the movie, not the Harry Lorayne command) is in my top five favorite movie list.

If you're gonna steal, stealing from Conrad can't be a bad idea.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The Shawshank Redemption.

Totally overrated imho...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, landmark, I agree with you about both The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now!

We used to play a version of Russian Roulette we called The Beer Hunter with one of the cans shaken up. .. I'm sure you guys get the idea.

Wasn't really a fan of a Clockwork Orange.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Chariots Of Fire
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Really? I think it's one of the best ever adaptations of a Stephen King work.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that it's the best adaptations of a King work (Stand By Me is right up there, too) and I'd say one of the best movies in history.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
My robe, Lobo. For a film about freedom it was hardly a patch on Spartacus.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that it's the best adaptations of a King work (Stand By Me is right up there, too) and I'd say one of the best movies in history.

A friend of mine saw it first. His recommendation was "just go". Nothing to sell it none of that. This speaks volumes about the film.

It was one of my favorite endings. Really tied it up well and at a great pace.

Did you ever see the Family Guy treatment of the Steven King works? Shawshank, Misery and Stand By Me. Really great way to spend a half hour.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Dr Zhivago.
Contrived drivel.
The soundtrack goes a long way to saving it though.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I know I'll get a lot of flack for this one, but here goes... Star Wars (any of them). Way overhyped, imo.

On the other end of the spectrum, I agree with Bob and Lobo... Shawshank Redemption is one my all-time favorites, and totally deserving of any accolades. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't know that Shawshank was one of my best evers, but it was an entertaining movie in my opinion.

Okay: this. Everything directed by Stanley Kubrick except for Dr. Strangelove. Overrated, all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL