The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Disagree on Kubrick. "A Clockwork Orange" and "2001- A Space Odyssey" are masterpieces of cinema.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Disagree on Kubrick. "A Clockwork Orange" and "2001- A Space Odyssey" are masterpieces of cinema.

Interesting. I intensely disliked both of those movies.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Why is that "interesting," landmark? I'm hardly alone in my assessment of those films.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Gone with the wind.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Why is that "interesting," landmark? I'm hardly alone in my assessment of those films.

It's interesting to him because while he doesn't hold out much hope re: the tastes of the masses, he expected a little more out of you. Smile

Full Metal Jacket would be the Kubrick flick that I love.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
My wife and I just watched Into the Wild on Sunday.

Interesting flick, but having read the book I found myself annoyed at the liberties Sean Penn took with the story.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
My wife and I just watched Into the Wild on Sunday.

Interesting flick, but having read the book I found myself annoyed at the liberties Sean Penn took with the story.

Not quite a simulpost, but interestingly, I hadn't read this post when I created the "RIP Jay Adams" thread 1/2 hour later. Emile Hirsch portrayed both "Alexander Supertramp" in Into The Wild and Jay Adams in "The Lords of Dogtown."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

It's interesting to him because while he doesn't hold out much hope re: the tastes of the masses, he expected a little more out of you. Smile

@Bob: Oh, what I found interesting was the way you can agree with a person about their taste on some things but disagree strongly on others, even within a narrow focus. So having agreed with you about Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunter, I thought we might have further agreement on Kubrick.

@Lobo: Okay, I take it back a little bit about Kubrick. The first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket is brilliant. But then it falls apart in my opinion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

I liked the first half of it then it lost me some.

Bob I found it interesting as well. I disliked both of those films also.

Now I shall add another classic with "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lord of the Rings.... Pick one I thought were over rated.

And prepare to disagree with me more but Easy Rider.

(Landmark are we the same person?)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lord of the Rings, I can't really say, because that genre is really not my thing. I'll leave it to the fantasy fans to slug it out.

I liked Easy Rider.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an interesting thing. I have a special affinity to that story because back before the movie, it was first adapted from the novel as an Off-Off Broadway play by Dale Wasserman. It was the first play I ever got free tickets to because I was doing a review for my college newspaper. It turned out to be a terrific production. It featured a hilarious newcomer named Danny DeVito in one of the supporting roles. William Devane, who later got fame from Knots Landing and as the President of the US in The Dark Knight Returns, played the lead role and he too was fantastic. DeVito later reprised the role in the movie.

The Milos Forman movie, I think made a very bad mistake by trying to open up the film outside the confines of the asylum. Later, I got to direct the play for a local theatre company and really appreciated what a well-constructed piece of drama it was. It builds up all kinds of tension based specifically on the premise that there is no way out and the inmates are stuck with each other and the staff every day. When that finally explodes, it literally explodes on stage. What is just another special effect in a movie theater is really quite stunning to an audience sitting in front of live actors.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I love One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The only problem I have with it is similar to Landmark's - The book is just better. But the movie is very, very good IMO. I think the difference is that the movie can't capture Chief Bromden's voice.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Sorry not to live up to your expectations. Smile They remain, nonetheless, among the top one hundred films ever made. (IMO, of course, even though most film historians also agree.)
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The English Patient.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

(And any Jerry Lewis movie)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Lord of the Rings horrified me. I liked everything visual about the book, but the characters were undeveloped, and the powerful ethical background of the book was surrendered for a few cheap laughs.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption.

Totally overrated imho...

Really? I think it's one of the best ever adaptations of a Stephen King work.

I don't think so.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The screenplay might as well have been the novella. It's like The Godfater; you could pretty much just follow along with the book.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
the powerful ethical background of the book...

Powerful ethical backgrounds played better in the 30s and 40s. If LOTR came out today, Tolkien would be branded a racist and prosecuted for a hate crime, or he'd have written it with an inter-tribal council that spent months debating what the elves, dwarves, and men had done to contribute to the orcs' discontent, and possibly given them The Shire to make up for their past misconduct.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Overrated Movies (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL