The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Katherine Mills Jurassic Park Effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

troy16
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of troy16
Hi All,

I am a long time reader of the forum but this is my first post so please be gentle. Does anyone know the name of the effect (or any similar audience participation effects) to the one Katherine Mills performed on the 4th instalment of her Mind Games series - the Jurassic Park trick.

Loved the way the whole audience was involved and thought something similar with the production of say someone's telephone number as the outcome would be excellent.

I have read a lot of add-a-number type pad tricks and have looked at a few chair tests using the S**** G******* but would like to get something more hands off like what was shown on TV where the audience choose a seat at random, choose an envelope, and then find out the prediction is in their hands at the end of the show but completely hands off.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks in advance.

Troy
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Try emailing Derren Brown
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Because you asked nicely, I'll share a little with you. Indeed, Brown had a similar effect using (presumably) similar methodology. Brown's version seems largely influenced by an earlier effect created by David Berglas. Brown's version and Mill's version are their own, but the Berglas method is covered in the Berglas Book by Britland. The mainstream effect which is somewhat along these lines is Eat at Joes. This can be found in Bruce Bernstein's excellent book, Unreal.

However, Doug Dyment has a version which is said to improve on Bernstein's, which is plausible, since Bernstein's method is slightly flawed in my opinion, despite its obvious success with the public. The underlying methodology for these types of effects, might too, grow out of Barrie Richardson's excellent, and lazy, chair test in Theatre of the Mind. There is also another application of Richardson's principle to be found in Bernstein's, Unreal. It is among his Bank Nite variations.

I agree, it is a very good premise. A little googling will show Max Maven having four spectators choose envelopes in the fairest of all manners. The cards within the envelopes are revealed to spell "FISM." Maven's method involves being really quick witted, I think. Hope some of this can steer you in a good direction.
troy16
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of troy16
Thanks for the info professorjinksy. I really appreciate your time and knowledge. Will look up the recommendations you memtion.

Thanks again,

Troy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Isn't it nice to see a question asked and hints given, without the usual bullying on this section. Well done to all of you.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Troy comes across as an honest truth seeker. Obviously not a newbie just seeking secrets.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
It ain't easy coming in here.

I think it would be interesting if we could all see our first posts.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've been savoring Eat at Joes for some time but was directed recently to Doug Dyman's "The Real Thing" which does in fact improve on BB's concept as it allows a more hands off execution.

Great stuff. Can't wait to perform it at a corporate event I am being flown out to in Seattle next month.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Doug Dyment - sorry for the typo
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, troy16 wrote:
Thanks for the info professorjinksy. I really appreciate your time and knowledge. Will look up the recommendations you memtion.

Thanks again,

Troy

My pleasure. Hope it helps.
troy16
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of troy16
Thanks guys for the welcome and the advice.

Troy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Katherine Mills Jurassic Park Effect (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL