The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most influential invention in history (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, 0pus wrote:
Liquid Prell

Not the gel?

What about
Hexa, hexa,
Hexachlorophene!

(Don't mind me. It's just an old geezer having tv ad flashbacks.)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:

They made a cultural choice which shows no less sense of "advancement" than other choices, if one thinks about it.

True. Although in retrospect they might have been better off staying put and sticking to agriculture, with an emphasis on not only crops but animal husbandry as well.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, Marlin1894 wrote:
The culture of the plains indian was greatly influenced not so much by an invention, but by the introduction of the horse. When they got the horse several tribes gave up their village/farming lifestyle to chase bison full time. Others became semi-nomadic.

Off topic I suppose but interesting. To me at least.

Seems an economic consideration of sorts. The horse changed the means of production. Similarly, around where I live, the introduction of European (and, later, American) trade goods encouraged the indigenous population to give up their traditional ways of life to trap and trade furs. Buffalo teepees were replaced by canvas. Cooking was changed by the introduction of metal cookware and flour. Time spent hunting was greatly reduced by the introduction of guns and horses. All this lead to increased time to spend on other activities.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, landmark wrote:

Anyway, I don't think so.

Nor do I. Especially compared to gunpowder which is clearly on of the most influential inventions of all time. It changed the course of warfare which in turn fundamentally changed the entire world. Entire empires were born and destroyed because of it, it ended the medieval era in Europe, it changed food gathering, it changed exploration and expansion, it changed, in a huge way, the lives of pretty much every person on the planet in one way or another, at one time or another. And still does for good or bad.

Plus it gave us fireworks!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Seems an economic consideration of sorts. The horse changed the means of production. Similarly, around where I live, the introduction of European (and, later, American) trade goods encouraged the indigenous population to give up their traditional ways of life to trap and trade furs. Buffalo teepees were replaced by canvas. Cooking was changed by the introduction of metal cookware and flour. Time spent hunting was greatly reduced by the introduction of guns and horses. All this lead to increased time to spend on other activities.

No doubt about it. They clearly felt it was an advancement over their current way of life and felt it was a more prosperous and healthy way to live and more beneficial to their survival and overall well being.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Liquid Prell;

"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I don't know. Liquid Prell, Atomic Bomb. It's a coin flip. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Tang
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, landmark wrote:
As it was pointed out before in the thread, agriculture...was a radical change form the previous nomadic life of searching for food.

Uh...yeah...I was the one who first brought up agriculture. Smile

Uh...yeah...well...I knew that...
Okay, well I knew that after you told me anyway.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

After agriculture, which is really the foundation of civilization:

bronze working
mining
iron working
masonry
animal husbandry
the wheel
sailing
writing
philosophy
theology
banking
education

(I play Civilization V a lot.)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Maybe I missed it, but why has no one brought up "magic?"

humans have been though unique in the ability to hold an imaginary solution in mind and compare it with a hypothetical problem.

In this he Invented (or recognized) force at work that he did not understand and attempted to control them.

By pretending to control them he gained some sense of security of mind and body. Magic was born.

Our play-acting at controlling inexplicable phenomena as entertainment gives hope that we can actually control other things we do not understand.

invention?

apes have now been observed acting strangely during an approaching lightning storm.

They select a member by a ritualistic process -- and the "select" goes forth with stick to jab at the sky in defiance.

When he is not killed and the storm passes he is applauded by his peers.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Apes have been observed. Cool.

Of course, humans interpret what the apes are doing.

Perhaps it is a ritual. Perhaps not.

I saw "Planet of the Apes".

I'm scared.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, acesover wrote:
I don't know. Liquid Prell, Atomic Bomb. It's a coin flip. Smile

2000 YEAR OLD MAN Look, you got the atomic bomb in your medicine cabinet. You open the door, it falls out, what happens[q] It breaks, that's what.
Now you got Liquid Prell in there and it's gonna bounce. And you can put a pearl in there and it'll go slow and then you can put another one in
there and then you got two.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Yeah, I'd have to go with Mastermindreader on agriculture being the start of it all; but Jared Diamond makes a good point for guns and steel as moving us all into the modern imperialist dominated world. Diamond also mentions 'germs'... not an invention per se, and not always consciously used .... but germs did make a huge impact on how human society developed. Of course, nowadays, one can make a good argument that certain germs can be considered 'inventions'; but now we're venturing into philosophy.fun topic, ciao, Lynn
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

IIRC, Diamond's main argument was for "geographic determinism"--he held that your location on the planet has an enormous influence on how your culture and technology develops. We live in a world where, for example, only a few animals are readily domesticated, only a few plant species are amenable to mass production for consumption, local mineral resources may or may not be useful for metallurgy, and local timber may or may not be useful for building. Before modern communication and transportation, your technological and social development, he argues, are enabled and constrained by your local resources. The "fertile crescent" had favourable growing conditions and suitable natural grains for the development of agriculture, which enabled the development of cities, and the class division that provides time for other innovations. Turns out that the raw materials for bronze-making were available in the same area, leading to improved agriculture, technology and, of course, warfare. (If "improved" is the right word here.)

I have nowhere near the competence to evaluate Diamond's thesis, but I found it fascinating and compelling.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

The enlightenment gave us our modern conceptions of rights and tolerance. The greatest inventions in the history of humanity.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
+ 1

Well done, John.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

+ 2
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
You've all missed the most important invention which started it all and start man on his path of domination over all other creatures, the spear.
The next greatest invention was the plow.
And then a writing system
Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The club came before the spear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most influential invention in history (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL